• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Warehouse Deals: Major cosmetic damage

warthor

I often look at amazon warehouse deals for speakers because I can get a substantial discount. I recently saw a speaker on sale with "major cosmetic damage". My question is whether it would be wise to buy a speaker with such damage. For example, is it possible that whatever damaged the shell, also damaged the woofers?

Would this be wise to avoid?

EDIT: For example, if the shell is damaged does this reduce some of the dampening effects?

Last edited:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I often look at amazon warehouse deals for speakers because I can get a substantial discount. I recently saw a speaker on sale with "major cosmetic damage". My question is whether it would be wise to buy a speaker with such damage. For example, is it possible that whatever damaged the shell, also damaged the woofers?

Would this be wise to avoid?
The good news is there is no risk., Buy, listen, test and return for free if too much damage, they dont measure or you dont like.

OP
W

warthor

The good news is there is no risk., Buy, listen, test and return for free if too much damage, they dont measure or you dont like.

Thanks for your input. Yes, I think you are right about trying it out. I have always felt bad doing this because shipping tower speakers has to cost an arm and a leg. Next time I will jump on it (if people seem to think it won't cause problems).

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your input. Yes, I think you are right about trying it out. I have always felt bad doing this because shipping tower speakers has to cost an arm and a leg. Next time I will jump on it (if people seem to think it won't cause problems).

Look at it this way. You are doing them a favor by trying speakers with major cosmetic damage. Most people won't want them.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I have purchased speakers (and other items) listed in the Warehouse in like new condition that were so trashed it wasn't even funny. One "like new" speaker had a broken grill, scratches and a woofer completely separated from the surround, another was in a box with no packing around it whatsoever - literally nothing, it looked like it had been tossed around like a football for a week. Other times items seemed to be better than the rating - in other words the AMAZON warehouse is crap shoot no matter what the rating.

OP
W

warthor

I have purchased speakers (and other items) listed in the Warehouse in like new condition that were so trashed it wasn't even funny. One "like new" speaker had a broken grill, scratches and a woofer completely separated from the surround, another was in a box with no packing around it whatsoever - literally nothing, it looked like it had been tossed around like a football for a week. Other times items seemed to be better than the rating - in other words the AMAZON warehouse is crap shoot no matter what the rating.
Thanks for your insight there. I suspect it is simply necessary to order it and determine the condition of the speaker via inspection. If the product is in poor shape it doesn't cost anything to return it to amazon. There was a great deal on KEF speakers I really wanted and I choked and missed it. I still lament it, but am watching for more!

Another legitimate issue is the warranty. Most amazon warehouse items have no warranty. This is problematic for many reasons (what if the speaker was overdriven by the previous owner?).

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your insight there. I suspect it is simply necessary to order it and determine the condition of the speaker via inspection. If the product is in poor shape it doesn't cost anything to return it to amazon. There was a great deal on KEF speakers I really wanted and I choked and missed it. I still lament it, but am watching for more!

Another legitimate issue is the warranty. Most amazon warehouse items have no warranty. This is problematic for many reasons (what if the speaker was overdriven by the previous owner?).

Passive speakers tend to work or not. It's very rare to hear someone who had one break under warranty.

So given the return policy for Amazon Warehouse sales which gives plenty of time to try them out, the lack of warranty would not be a concern for me with a passive speaker. In fact, this seems better to me than buying used passive speakers locally, where individuals would not be thrilled for you to try to return them a week or two later.

OP
W

warthor

Passive speakers tend to work or not. It's very rare to hear someone who had one break under warranty.

So given the return policy for Amazon Warehouse sales which gives plenty of time to try them out, the lack of warranty would not be a concern for me with a passive speaker. In fact, this seems better to me than buying used passive speakers locally, where individuals would not be thrilled for you to try to return them a week or two later.
More reason to lament missing the deal, then! :)

I will keep that in mind next time.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unlike that other chap, i had nothing but good luck with amazon warehouse and their return policy means you have almost no risk.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If your a prime member, never hurts to try some of the Warehouse deals.

Recently i needed a RCA Y connector. For a single unit, they were $11.50 a piece. Yet checking the warehouse deals, they had the same Y connectors, one dozen for $9.99. I couldn't hardly believe it, I thought for sure something wasn't right. But I took a chance anyway. Sure enough, they were the exact same connectors, brand new and sealed in a one dozen bag. Sweet deal for me. I sold two for $10 and basically got the remaining 10 for free.
Got some sweet deals on batteries to. 48 AAA for $9.99 and 36 AA for $11.99

Top Bottom