• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

bkrmar

Some 8 years back I was looking for a stereo system. I ended up checking out 3 amplifiers, a Yamaha, a Luxman, and an Accuphase. The Luxman cost 2x the Yamaha and the Accuphase cost 2x the Luxman. The speakers that were used were Monitor Audio GX300 in a well-treated room. I can't remember the source, but it was a CD player of repute.

I asked the dealer to switch amps without telling me the order in which they were being played. At the end of about 3 hours of listening to 4 of my CDs with all 3 amplifiers, I could tell the Amp B was very slightly better than Amp C and much better than Amp A. Granted I only heard each amplifier for 30-40 minutes with a 2-3 minute gap while I went to the next room to have coffee and the dealer switched amplifiers. So it's not an absolute test but the best I could do given the time I had at my disposal.

Amp A was the Yamaha A2000 (which is what I bought) because I could not afford the Luxman or the Accuphase. I don't know how each measured, but I am willing to bet that they all measured well.

Better is hard to define as it is mostly subjective. When we say David Gilmour is a better guitar player than a club/studio musician it means so much more than the notes they play.
Why even bother to put that much time into choosing when your budget already made the choice? :)

joseG86

Does any of you own the H16 and do you hear that "faint tick" when switching volume like Amir said?

Thanks!

manoy385

So my X16 just arrived or is it? The case says it's an A18 but the box says it is an X16. How do I make sure it is an X16?

DU54DOn.jpg

ArturoKiwi

So my X16 just arrived or is it? The case says it's an A18 but the box says it is an X16. How do I make sure it is an X16?

DU54DOn.jpg
Bluetooth? Usb connection? Any label?

isploit

DU54DOn.jpg
Lol. Is it easy to open and look inside? If so you can check what dac it is and know for sure.

manoy385

Bluetooth? Usb connection? Any label?
They both have bluetooth. USB connection just says Gustard USB Audio 2.0. I think the difference is the X16 has optical input and the A18 does not. In that case, it is an X16 cause mine has optical input. Checked the filters, there are also only 3: H-FAST, L-FAST, M-SLOW. I think the A18 has 5?

Dannemand

They both have bluetooth. USB connection just says Gustard USB Audio 2.0. I think the difference is the X16 has optical input and the A18 does not. In that case, it is an X16 cause mine has optical input. Checked the filters, there are also only 3: H-FAST, L-FAST, M-SLOW. I think the A18 has 5?

A18 2nd Edition (MQA) has optical. But it has 6 different filters, so sounds like yours is an X16.

You should still ask for a swap, as this is clearly a mistake. Mistakes happen, but who knows which other mistakes might be inside.

raif71

Major Contributor
A18 2nd Edition (MQA) has optical. But it has 6 different filters, so sounds like yours is an X16.

You should still ask for a swap, as this is clearly a mistake. Mistakes happen, but who knows which other mistakes might be inside.
Blind boxing/casing ?

koko

I just received my X16 yesterday. It sounds great but I'm not thrilled about the distinct bluish tint to the characters on the OLED panel. It's definitely not white as advertised. I've seen pictures of the A18 OLED panel that definitely shows white characters. Do others also have a bluish tint to characters on their X18 OLED panels?

Attachments

• 20210209_200429.jpg
    20210209_200429.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 271

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Native DSD is supported.

I haven't tried the volume, I have it fixed. I use the volume on my amp, which has a remote control. I will test it out later and will update this post with the feedback.

UPDATE:

I tested the device volume: If I set it to device volume it doesn't allow Roon to change it. It still says volume is fixed. So I assume the Linux driver doesn't support changing device volume (same as with MAC OS).

I did try it out with the DSP Volume and it will work, but MQA files will not be detected if Volume is in any position apart from 0dB, which I expected since you are modifying the original stream. I tested it with a MQA.352.8KHz file, and as soon as I move the Volume from 0dB, it goes to PCB 44.1KHz.

If you are not into MQA that could be the option, using DPS Volume from Roon.
Thanks for the update!

I don't care for MQA anymore. I use volume leveling anyway. DSP volume is just fine.

ArturoKiwi

Yes both of them have Bluetooth, but whe you connect your phone the pairing saying a generic Gustard or complete name?

Frio

I just received my X16 yesterday. It sounds great but I'm not thrilled about the distinct bluish tint to the characters on the OLED panel. It's definitely not white as advertised. I've seen pictures of the A18 OLED panel that definitely shows white characters. Do others also have a bluish tint to characters on their X18 OLED panels?
Not sure how important that is but hey.
You can change the brightness in menue

manoy385

Yes both of them have Bluetooth, but whe you connect your phone the pairing saying a generic Gustard or complete name?

It says GUSTARD BT. I already confirmed it is an X16 because of the 3 available PCM filters vs 6 with the A18. Serial number on the bottom of the unit also starts with X16.

dan kolov

[QUOTE = "manoy385, post: 667238, member: 2445"] Значи моят X16 току-що пристигна или е? В случая пише, че е A18, но в кутията пише, че е X16. Как да се уверя, че е X16?

DU54DOn.jpg
[/ QUOTE]

Attachments

• _dsf5435.jpg
    _dsf5435.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Gustard x16-dac.jpg
    Gustard x16-dac.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 144

manoy385

Top Bottom