• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DO SPECS REALLY MATTER in Audio? - Understanding Speaker Measurements!

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
According to this guy, speaker measurements are not good indicators of sound quality because of other variables not accounted for in measurements that influence what we like including our hearing, our taste, our listening rooms, our program material.

So speaker companies that rely are measurements are deluding themselves. And they also admit they don't like neutral speakers but speakers that sound "fun". Apparently fun speakers are not designed with measurements. This should be a "fun" thread.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am burning him in effigy as I type.

Keith

typericey

My conspiracy theories:
a. Manufacturers who are getting affected by ASR are paying these influencers to talk against measurements
b. These YouTubers feel their jobs/revenue are threatened hence they talk against measurements. i.e. who will listen to my subjective nonesense when my audience gets woke to measurements?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
According to this guy, speaker measurements are not good indicators of sound quality because of other variables not accounted for in measurements that influence what we like including our hearing, our taste, our listening rooms, our program material.

So speaker companies that rely are measurements are deluding themselves. And they also admit they don't like neutral speakers but speakers that sound "fun". Apparently fun speakers are not designed with measurements. This should be a "fun" thread.

The cover page makes his position pretty obvious. No click.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
The amount of *BS* that comes out of his mouth is mind-boggling.

Case in point:
He ranks his Klipsches (and Jamo's were highly praised similarly) as the the speakers that "does it all".
He says this, while his body language is saying the opposite.
I remember he was praising his Klipsches, and at the last second, I saw the "one shoulder shrug".
It's called a 'micro-expression', for those who don't know.
I remember watching his older videos and it's so funny that whatever he says, his body language doesn't always agree.
Sorry, Andrew, even YOUR BODY doesn't believe your *BS* YOU'RE SAYING.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know Erin doesn’t like to state it, but he is the YouTuber he was referring to in his Klipsch Heresy review who said it didn’t need a sub, which left Erin baffled after he reviewed/measured it.

If strictly talking about specs, I would agree. In my spreadsheet comparing spec vs measured sensitivity, we can see how off some companies are (intentionally or not).

I have yet to do the same comparison but for frequency response, but it also isn’t great (varies between bass extension or simply non-linearity being the culprits).

Last edited:

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What a load of codswallop. I stopped listening when he started talking to the lady of the manor, but what came before showed a singular lack of insight. While we all agree (I guess) that folks should buy what they enjoy, that doesn’t mean speaker manufacturers should just throw parts in a box in the hope enough dorks will like the result. And all that waffle to arrive at the earth-shattering conclusion that measurements and subjective reviews are equally worthless, but can help making a shortlist of speakers to ”audition” (which according to his own explanations, is useless unless it’s done in the target room.)
he is the YouTuber
Whenever I hear the word YouTuber I can’t help but think of ‘taters.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Just saw @Sean Olive response, from the comments:
1612742867937.png

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I tried his channel for a little while but couldn't take that much Andrew.
Yeah, I blocked him from showing up in my recommendations. The guy is delusional and just shilling for ad revenue.

I didn't waste time watching, but one question: does this guy distinguish between "specs" and "measurements"? I might agree regarding the former...
Don't know, didn't watch it either, but measurements can be part of the specifications. Some brands show their spins right there on the product page (too bad Revel doesn't do it) or in the brochures for their products.

Maybe @Sean Olive can invite him over to Harman when this pandemic thing is over. Let him do some double blind tests and see where his preferences lie.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
His channel is mostly smooth product placement. Watch one video and he comes across as a nice guy. Watch three and it becomes mind-bogglingly boring. Watch five, the inconsistency becomes obvious.

Looping his videos is probably banned by the Geneva convention.

He's so bad that I even prefer a JVS review (better script) or a Darko video (more varied and engaging cinematography).

It's a bit like a static "What Hifi" minus the less than five stars reviews.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't waste time watching, but one question: does this guy distinguish between "specs" and "measurements"? I might agree regarding the former...
He only talks about measurements and subjective listening.

I do agree with his point that measurements, like a review, are just a guide. I usually only use measurements to narrow my choice down from hundreds of models to two or three, and then I look for more information before making a purchase.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
He only talks about measurements and subjective listening.

So the use of "specs" means he also doesn't understand basic terminology. Specs are generally worthless. Measurements are gold.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Measurements aren't fun.

I guess talking out of your ass is a lot easier.

I'm glad you've done a lot of the 'less fun' work.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"The only person who has to like the sound is you." Says he repeatedly. So you go buy a speaker that Andrew recommends and you don't like it. Then what? How is that any kind of advice? Why should anyone watch him if it is free for all?

Top Bottom