• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What can I do to further improve my setup?

pogballistics

Hello,

My setup consists of the following:

Q Acoustics 3050i
Rega Brio 2017 with Customized Power Chord
Topping E30 powered via a Mi Power Bank
Belden 8477 speaker cable
Belden 1694f RCA interconnect
Intel nuc8i3beh (Samsung 970 Pro, 8gb × 2 RAM)
Roon Labs Lifetime
HQ Player on poly-sinc-ext2, ASDM7EC at DSD128

I just wanted to check what can I do to make this setup more resolving and improve the quality further.

I plan on maintaining the same stereo setup and room positioning and I'm only looking for improvements within this setup chain.

Regards

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

My setup consists of the following:

Q Acoustics 3050i
Rega Brio 2017 with Customized Power Chord
Topping E30 powered via a Mi Power Bank
Belden 8477 speaker cable
Belden 1694f RCA interconnect
Intel nuc8i3beh (Samsung 970 Pro, 8gb × 2 RAM)
Roon Labs Lifetime
HQ Player on poly-sinc-ext2, ASDM7EC at DSD128

I just wanted to check what can I do to make this setup more resolving and improve the quality further.

I plan on maintaining the same stereo setup and only looking for improvements within this setup.

Regards

Measure the room acoustics and EQ accordingly in Roon. No need to spend anything over the cost of the mic to do the measuring and free software to derive the needed EQ. Look up REW.

OP
pogballistics

pogballistics

Thanks Jimbob. This will be my next step then.
Will write back to you incase I need any help.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Jimbob. This will be my next step then.
Will write back to you incase I need any help.
I'm the wrong man to ask, I just use headphones

But I know that's the first and best answer before buying anymore kit

Willem

Major Contributor
I agree: measure in-room response and equalize. I don't know how noisy your PC is, and how much the noise intrudes, but you may want to consider a fanless case from e.g. Akasa. I just ordered an Intel NUC system for my desktop, and opted for the Akasa Turing FX case.
If the room is large you could add two small subwoofers.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Umik-1 mic - about $100

moving speakers around before adding sound tmt. materiels; both before upgrading the speakers; all that before changing any electronics

post pics and dimensional layout of your room

finding the best masterings of your favorites is high on the list too

LuvTheMusic

Find better source material.

OK, that sounds like a smartass answer to a serious question. But it's not meant that way. Given any reasonably good system, the limiting factor in some very real ways will be the quality of the recordings that you are playing. If we all spent half as much time seeking out truly great recordings as we do obsessing over the last iota of performance from our equipment, we all likely would enjoy the music a lot more!

BTW, I aim this comment as much at myself as anyone else. It's so easy to get caught up in the pursuit of -- or obsession with -- the system that we forget why we bought all that stuff! Time to just sit back and bliss out on what you already have....

Top Bottom