• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do the Dynaudio Emit M20 speakers measure?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Extremely smooth and flat sound. They are far more neutral than some studio monitors in fact. Like JB LSR305/308 for example which I owned
I strongly doubt so, the measured smaller M10 is not really neutral on-axis nor and has directivity problems which are expected to be even worse on the larger midwoofer M20:
1603801162878.png

1603801169265.png

(source: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153)

The old LSR305/208 you mention measure on both regards smoother:

1603801308634.png

1603801350043.png

(source: PDF from Sound & Recording magazine which was freely available at that time at Thomann and their German distributor)
and the here measured current JBL 305P MKII are not as linear on-axis but can be easily EQed due to their also smooth directivity.

akarma

I don't know about M10. I have M20 right now:

Off-axis.jpg

on-axis and 25-30 off-axis

This speaker is almost no need in EQ (exept some room modes in LF).

As far as I can remember DM 2/6 is different from DM 2/7 and inferior to it. I had both. May be the same case is with Emit series

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your measurements of course don't look bad, but being room measurements also just give only a limited picture of the behaviour of your loudspeaker. But even there the directivity problems of the large midwoofer and tweeter without waveguide can be already be faintly observed above 1kHz.
That doesn't mean though that is a bad loudspeaker or it wouldn't sound nice, we are just discussing the objective/measurements side.

akarma

but being room measurements also just give only a limited picture of the behaviour of your loudspeaker.

Yes but most important 'cause i listen my speakers in my room:). Check my Edifier 1280 measurements and compare it with what Amir had measured. Very similiar above 800-900hz...

tweeter without waveguide can be already be faintly observed above 1kHz

Just look at measurement scale ;). Deviation in 1-2Db is very good result

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I strongly doubt so, the measured smaller M10 is not really neutral on-axis nor and has directivity problems which are expected to be even worse on the larger midwoofer M20:
View attachment 89819
View attachment 89820

(source: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153)

The old LSR305/208 you mention measure on both regards smoother:

View attachment 89821

View attachment 89822
(source: PDF from Sound & Recording magazine which was freely available at that time at Thomann and their German distributor)
and the here measured current JBL 305P MKII are not as linear on-axis but can be easily EQed due to their also smooth directivity.
Interesting. I wonder why the mkII versions regressed?

PLSTR

Do you guys think that a pair of M20 for 400€ (brand new, 2 year warranty, etc.) is better than any newer speaker on that price range?

As examples around 400€ I have: Monitor Audio Bronze 100 and Monitor Audio Bronze 2; Wharfedale 11.2/12.2 (450€); ELAC Debut Reference DBR62 (475€). Do any of these is better that the M20? +50€ isn't a concern, but a pair of M20 for 400€ seems a very good deal. But as a newbie, wanted to confirm.

olivier salad

Do you guys think that a pair of M20 for 400€ (brand new, 2 year warranty, etc.) is better than any newer speaker on that price range?

As examples around 400€ I have: Monitor Audio Bronze 100 and Monitor Audio Bronze 2; Wharfedale 11.2/12.2 (450€); ELAC Debut Reference DBR62 (475€). Do any of these is better that the M20? +50€ isn't a concern, but a pair of M20 for 400€ seems a very good deal. But as a newbie, wanted to confirm.
Yes, it's a great deal, go for it. Elac is pretty decent but the bass response is worse.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
In comparison with the Revels, Dyns have a polished sound that makes poor recordings sound better than they are and adds a little bit of same-ness across the board. Revels have wider dispersion and provide a more honest representation of all recordings.

I think that's a fair assessment of of the entry- to mid-level Dynaudios.

But I wouldn't say that's true of the Confidence line or Heritage Special.

My Heritage Specials are less forgiving on some borderline recordings than my Contour 20s were.

akarma

Great deal. Emit M20 are one of the best speakers in their price range. Flattest freaquensy response.

PLSTR

Yes, it's a great deal, go for it. Elac is pretty decent but the bass response is worse.

Great deal. Emit M20 are one of the best speakers in their price range. Flattest freaquensy response.

Do you guys have any recommendations regarding amplifiers? My most listened genre would be hip-hop (80%) and then some soul, jazz and classic music. Will be using ALLO digione streamer (or the C338 chromecast option if that's the amp choice), and maybe try the topping e30 as the DAC, in case the amplifier's DAC isn't decent.

My other choices, as I said before were wharfedales 11.1/2 or 12.1/2 and the DBR62, probably with NAD C316BEE v2 or C338. Can also get my hands on Yamaha A-S501 or Marantz Pm5005. Rega io also an option, but not sure if I like the lack of digital connectivity, since I'm mostly going to listen through digital sources and I'm not planning on buying a turntable on a near future.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Do you guys have any recommendations regarding amplifiers? My most listened genre would be hip-hop (80%) and then some soul, jazz and classic music..

The amplifier doesn't know what genre of music it is playing.

Power, current, distortion, noise, frequency response, etc, are what matter.

Last edited:

olivier salad

Do you guys have any recommendations regarding amplifiers? My most listened genre would be hip-hop (80%) and then some soul, jazz and classic music. Will be using ALLO digione streamer (or the C338 chromecast option if that's the amp choice), and maybe try the topping e30 as the DAC, in case the amplifier's DAC isn't decent.

My other choices, as I said before were wharfedales 11.1/2 or 12.1/2 and the DBR62, probably with NAD C316BEE v2 or C338. Can also get my hands on Yamaha A-S501 or Marantz Pm5005. Rega io also an option, but not sure if I like the lack of digital connectivity, since I'm mostly going to listen through digital sources and I'm not planning on buying a turntable on a near future.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...wer-amplifier-ncore-2x125w-4-ohm-p-12756.html

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OK, I am starting to change the crossover a little for the fun of it.

Those gold plated metal strips are actually made of aluminum.....haha.... Replacing the ferrite coil with an aircoil. Changing out the speaker posts with sometthing that allow spades (original ones don't). But they were made of brass, not too bad. Then see if there is any difference.

U4jTH8w.jpg

OCvot7o.jpg

hv7TGOd.jpg

akarma

What is the goal of intervention?

I think Emit M20-DM 2/7 are very good speakers and crossover is designed very well.

escksu

What is the goal of intervention?

I think Emit M20-DM 2/7 are very good speakers and crossover is designed very well.

Actually, the crossover of Emit/DM/Audience is about the cheapest and functionable out there. Thats why I am targeting 2 things first. The woofer inductor coil and those crappy aluminum strips.

Of course, the main idea is to have fun and experiment around with stuffs.

Last edited:

akarma

Actually, the crossover of Emit/DM/Audience is about the cheapest and functionable out there
The most important is how it works. The audiophile crap about coil and cheap caps is empty talk. It has nothing to do with real modernisation or improvement.

escksu

The most important is how it works. The audiophile crap about coil and cheap caps is empty talk. It has nothing to do with real modernisation or improvement.

Core magnetic flux saturation is one of the main reason why manufacturers avoided ferrite coils and use air core ones instead. However air core coils are much bigger and cost more. Thats why you find air core coils in high end speakers and ferrite coils in mainstream ones. Of course there are good ferrite/iron coil inductors but they cost more as well.

As for caps, its more about the type of caps used, brand wise, quality and tolerance matters as well. If all caps are the same, all manufacturers will just use the cheapest out there (electrolytics are the cheapest). How many times have seen seen leaking/exploding caps?

For that matter resistors as well. Its not about brand, its about factors like low inductance, stability with temp changes, even tolerance etc. This is why bulk foil resistors are very good and very expensive as well. This is also why wirewound resistors have to be wired different to cancel out its inductance (there is low inductance version).

akarma

All the theory that you said has nothing to do with emit m20 crossover. If you can show and measure concrete flaws and issuies in crossover topology it will be useful.

Top Bottom