• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I have noticed looking at user metrics, usually there is a 5 to one ratio between members and guests viewing. And another 3 to one ratio above those two and bots connected. Now I know they are probably Russian bots trying to scrape Amir's measurements to use against western imperialist capitalist audiophilist dogma. Either that or Vladimir is looking for a good DAC, and really wants to avoid Schiit.
Watch out Putin has a better system than you.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/05/dmitry-medvedev-stereo-system-russia

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not the cable as stand alone item, I am not thinking a single "stand alone" cable is problem,but the environment as a whole?
For some of the DACs that you see frequently in my measurements, I have measured them many, many times. Results are always the same sans one time where the Topping D30 showed a bit less jitter. So consistency is very good over time. But again, I repeat the measurements usually in dual comparisons so relative data is always correct.

Another general question, do you have or have used isolation transformers? Do you see any benefit from them?
I have a full AC generator with programmable frequency to isolate contributions from mains leakage when there was debate from that (Don's post above references that). It is a B&K Precision 9801 AC Power source:

9801.jpg

Longer term I plan to do a study on effect of mains tweaks but for now, no, I power them like anyone else would.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
For some of the DACs that you see frequently in my measurements, I have measured them many, many times. Results are always the same sans one time where the Topping D30 showed a bit less jitter. So consistency is very good over time. But again, I repeat the measurements usually in dual comparisons so relative data is always correct.

I have a full AC generator with programmable frequency to isolate contributions from mains leakage when there was debate from that (Don's post above references that). It is a B&K Precision 9801 AC Power source:

9801.jpg

Longer term I plan to do a study on effect of mains tweaks but for now, no, I power them like anyone else would.
Thank you

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't it interesting how some people question the measurements here more than they question the lack of it from the manufacturer themselves?

You can't keep quiet in a debate and complain that you lost.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Exactly. And banging on until one is the last man standing does not mean a proposition has been proven.:eek:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
That is key: we are trying to communicate information to the Internet at large, not as an internal company memo and certainly not as a "calibration report."

People want answers and want it quickly. As such, anything that is not absolutely necessary takes away from clear communication. See John Atkinson's reviews. They are absolutely short with just a few graphs and ever fewer words at times. He doesn't provide the pictures you ask for either.

Now compare that to atomicbomb who plasters the forums with dozens and dozens of measurements. And a useless picture of an analyzer hooked up to a sound card. This is why his measurements are not getting notice but mine and JA are. You have to know how to communicate effectively. This is not about some school work.

When people in my group wanted to send something to Bill Gates, I would always tell them it had to be at most a paragraph. No more than 2-3 sentences preferably. Why? Because he would get hundreds of emails a day and would only allocate a few seconds to each. If you wrote anything longer it could completely get ignored. Indeed the higher ups you went, the shorter your emails/communications had to be. You had to convey the ultimate message and conclusion and not the minutia.

So no, it is not useful to keep posting a picture of the DAC hooked up to the same analyzer using the same 3-4 cables.
You’d end up with going sign blind and the critical information getting ignored, I agree and it’s ‘ a real thing’ , people’s brains will just reject everything if you over complicate your presentation.

You could post the setup photos and details in a separate thread so those wanting to discuss them had a place to do just that, it might help some people get over the threshold of ‘ are these tests valid ‘ but even then you will be accused of leaving out detail because people just can’t even take in the information regarding the link.. this has already happened with people still complaining about you not documenting your setup even though there’s clearly a link at the top of the reviews .

Sighting JA is a good example in one respect but poor in another as you don’t have the brand recognition of his magazine and therefore won’t be as high on the trust index. Iv noticed a huge wave of insecurity seems to descend on folk following your measurements, we need to at least try and do our best to mitigate that even if it’s a ball ache.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Isn't it interesting how some people question the measurements here more than they question the lack of it from the manufacturer themselves?

You can't keep quiet in a debate and complain that you lost.
The measurements are creating cognitive dissonance in the minds of some audiophiles, when you look at the resulting dialogue on other forums it is indeed ‘intresting ‘. Many need a visit from Dr. Spazmatron.

Dimitri

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hmm, I've noticed that whenever schiit products get exposed as to what they measure, a lot seem to attack the messager ?
Clearly there is some of that. But we are too focused on what a few people on a couple of forums are saying. The information is getting distributed much wider than that and there is a lot of positive reception. That has in turn created opportunity to review more gear with more equipment being offered for loan.

Sitting here I have a significant backlog of measurements and reviews to get out. I much rather do that than worrying about the few people complaining want.

PurpaSmart

Clearly there is some of that. But we are too focused on what a few people on a couple of forums are saying. The information is getting distributed much wider than that and there is a lot of positive reception. That has in turn created opportunity to review more gear with more equipment being offered for loan.

Sitting here I have a significant backlog of measurements and reviews to get out. I much rather do that than worrying about the few people complaining want.
Just a fyi, I would say I helped spread this, I initially posted the modi2 measurements on /hpg/ from there it spread to reddit, then sbaf

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Internet debate makes people think less and react more...

@Blumlein 88 is right, observing discussions on forums there’s a recessive nature to them but it’s not just restricted to a few audiophile forums. Social media in general is reprogramming the way we think imo, sites like this question that mind set and many folks simply won’t accept our data no matter what we do.

There’s even been many instances on this forum where extremely intelligent and well educated individuals have seemed to of been caught in a regressive state that goes against their better selfs.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just a fyi, I would say I helped spread this, I initially posted the modi2 measurements on /hpg/ from there it spread to reddit, then sbaf
Thanks :). I saw these references to /hpg/ but did not get it. Is that another forum???

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Yes, IMO it's a put up or shut up situation.
Any manufacturer (or other independent tech) that wishes to post alternative measurements here that show the errors in your results are more than welcome to do so. They won't be treated in the way that supporters have been treated elsewhere.
Otherwise my response would be GFY ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yes, IMO it's a put up or shut up situation.
Any manufacturer (or other independent tech) that wishes to post alternative measurements here that show the errors in your results are more than welcome to do so. They won't be treated in the way that supporters have been treated elsewhere.
Otherwise my response would be GFY ;)

We are also getting invading 'crusaders' for the 'faith' constipating some threads with the same old tired, disproven, perspectives. :rolleyes:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We are also getting invading 'crusaders' for the 'faith' constipating some threads with the same old tired, disproven, perspectives. :rolleyes:

Well indicates the forum is getting noticed. Whether it continues to convince or not there is the chance.

Dismayed

Absolutely. But that what the 'Ignore' feature is for. I'm happy to engage with the majority of people here because their opinions are grounded in reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom