• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP400 Balanced Headphone Amplifier THX AAA

Viper Necklampy

Most of my listening is with LCD-XC and LCD-X. As I previously stated, I use Headroom Management and volume leveling in Roon, so I lose -6 to -8db there. I also listen to some poorly recorded "classic rock" that requires more power. The album Little Queen by Heart is one of the albums that I had to have SP400 at 90-100 volume. SP200 at 60% has much more headroom. Again, SP400 does get loud, and is SUPER clean. Sounds Superb.(I bet this amp MEASURES better than the A90. It sounds better) I want more output than SP200, and SP400 does not deliver. I would be impressed if they could have retained the output of SP200 with the clarity of SP400. The race for the "best measurements" is disappointing to me. Maybe SMSL will release an "upgraded" version of SP400 like they did with M400? I don't wanna get caught with another prematurely released product like the early M400 with rca output rolloff. They almost got me again.....
How is even possible that SP200 gets you more loud than SP200? With LCD-X and XC that are just 20 ohms, with Sp400 you can get around 10W with a balanced cable, insane power for them really (I'm also very interested to get the XC)

Lero

How is even possible that SP200 gets you more loud than SP200? With LCD-X and XC that are just 20 ohms, with Sp400 you can get around 10W with a balanced cable, insane power for them really (I'm also very interested to get the XC)
Gain, but 10w will kill you tbh.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
gain and volume control adjustment to make the whole range usable. smsl is kindly helping you not kill yourself, as above. the power is for dynamics and impedance peaks. bonus points for being able to make an akg k1000 lethal if used incorrectly.

JB5150

SP200 is much more loud than SP400.
SMSL “modified” the volume range so it is “useable across the whole range” There is no distortion even at 100 volume. This behavior is much different than the analog volume controls I’ve used. Most will provide maximum output at about 50-60% on the volume, and have TONS of headroom beyond the clean rated power. Not SP400.

JB5150

smsl is kindly helping you not kill yourself

SMSL can keep their “help” that NO-ONE has ever asked for to be added to an amp.

Gain selection is more commonly used as a way to provide for a “more useable volume range”. Do we really need gain selection AND a truncated volume output?

I’ve successfully used much more powerful amps without “killing” myself.

Last edited:

Viper Necklampy

SMSL “modified” the volume range so it is “useable across the whole range” There is no distortion even at 100 volume. This behavior is much different than the analog volume controls I’ve used. Most will provide maximum output at about 50-60% on the volume, and have TONS of headroom beyond the clean rated power. Not SP400.
So it is a heavy source of power no-matter-what, even with 4.1+V dacs? So i ask myself where the headroom goes > weird or amazing?

JB5150

So it is a heavy source of power no-matter-what, even with 4.1+V dacs? So i ask myself where the headroom goes > weird or amazing?
Yeah I was looking for more headroom, and the SP400 marketed as 12wx2 seemed like it would fit the bill. Not so. It does sound good, just not enough headroom for me.

Viper Necklampy

I don't really understand what this mean. I'm interested to buy the SP400. But are you saying me the SP400 uses new stuff to approach at gains? How, if you can explain me better? Is it better for you using low or high gain?
I find myself better in high gain with thx 887, because probably it outputs much more power. Problem is, with balanced interconnects i can't use high gain because it clips. I heard Sp400 doesn't clip at high gain so...

THIBAULT

Hi, Collier de vipère. The advantage of the SP400 is that regardless of the gain level, there is no distortion. There's enough power to drive even the more difficult headphones. Personally, I have the easy-to-drive Focal Elear, I'm low gain with the volume knob at 55/60 and that's enough for my ears. I had the SP200 and now the SP400.The latter has much more clarity. I use XLR input with the M400 and also output with the Focal. It’s pure bliss. Best regards.

Last edited:

Lero

Hi, Collier de vipère. The advantage of the SP400 is that regardless of the gain level, there is no distortion. There's enough power to drive even the toughest high gain headphones. Personally, I have the easy-to-drive Focal Elear, I'm low gain with the volume knob at 55/60 and that's enough for my ears. I had the SP200 and now the SP400.The latter has much more clarity. I use XLR input with the M400 and also output with the Focal. It’s pure bliss. Best regards.
what do you mean for much more clarity ? high volume, low volume?

THIBAULT

[QUOTE = "Lero, post: 659044, membre: 20921"] que voulez-vous dire par plus de clarté? volume élevé, volume faible? [/ QUOTE]

it has more transparency at any volume.

Lero

[QUOTE = "Lero, post: 659044, membre: 20921"] que voulez-vous dire par plus de clarté? volume élevé, volume faible? [/ QUOTE]

it has more transparency at any volume.
its like a veil being removed?

Top Bottom