• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Design Aesthetic fails!

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I came across GermanMaestro brand's GMP 8.35 headphones today on Drop. For lack of better words, the design aesthetic on the ear cups and headband screams cheap molded plastic and PVC from seeing the photos. They're probably decent sounding headphones but "Buzz, your girlfriend.. Woof" definitely not my style aesthetic. What other aesthetically poor headphones have you guys seen.

GermanMaestro 8.5

k4GPf43XT9G96sl81qXg_advanced.jpg

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry, I had to. The Abyss are one of the ugliest headphones on Earth IMHO, more like a head-clamp :

abyss_ab_1266_cc_2.jpg

They just have everything wrong aesthetics-wise. Of course they will say that's intended. And I will say "hire a better designer, or send yours back to design school". I have designed stuff myself in the past, and I can see lots of blatant design mistakes. Too numerous to count probably. "Industrial design" you say ? Nah, I don't buy it. Oh, apparently they sound nice - so there's at least one good thing about them. :)

Last edited:
OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I had to. The Abyss are one of the ugliest headphones on Earth IMHO, more like a head-clamp :

Yea those headphones clamps and adjustable screws. Yikes

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually looks like either might fit on your head comfortably. If so I wouldn't complain about how they look.

Stax Lamda phones look square and clunky. Some of the most comfortable phones you can wear however. The earpads can be sweaty in a humid climate.

1612057022900.png

julian_hughes

I have to think that almost any headphone looks utterly ridiculous and that if you have one whose sound you enjoy then the appearance doesn't matter. If the appearance does matter more than the sound then...then.....then....this isn't the place for me to express my opinion in all its glory.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to think that almost any headphone looks utterly ridiculous and that if you have one whose sound you enjoy then the appearance doesn't matter. If the appearance does matter more than the sound then...then.....then....this isn't the place for me to express my opinion in all its glory.

Hard to standout in a crowded market, thus the risky designs.

Jose Hidalgo

The Jacklin Float are a strong candidate (and this forum still lacks a laughing smiley) :

10113516.jpg

I mean, do you REALLY want to look like this guy ?... :facepalm:

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIR, the GMP's are basically designed to indestructible pro monitoring headphones so they get a pass with their function over form design.

The Abyss though...

The have no such excuse I and sure wouldn't want to drop a pair.

Last edited:
OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIR, the GMP's are basically designed to indestructible pro monitoring headphones so they get a pass with their function over form design.

The Abyss though...

The have no such excuse and sure wouldn't want to drop a pair.

Glad to share that tidbit, good to know their intended crowd and purpose. Eww wouldn't want to touch the Abyss with a 10foot stick.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
The Blon BL-30, just so cheap looking, like they put it together with spare parts that were gonna get tossed out, Frankenstein cans.
1612068119969.png

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@frogmeat69 I've been following the BLON-BL 30 thread at head-fi and have noticed the mess these headphones are.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@LTig Ugh the wire mesh in your ears

Zensō

Major Contributor

View attachment 109532

They just have everything wrong aesthetics-wise. Of course they will say that's intended. And I will say "hire a better designer, or send yours back to design school". I have designed stuff myself in the past, and I can see lots of blatant design mistakes. Too numerous to count probably. "Industrial design" you say ? Nah, I don't buy it. Oh, apparently they sound nice - so there's at least one good thing about them. :)
We can close the thread now. :p

Zensō

Major Contributor
The Blon BL-30, just so cheap looking, like they put it together with spare parts that were gonna get tossed out, Frankenstein cans.
View attachment 109574
I’m sure I’ll get murdered for this, but they look like Audeze headphones to me, which also look like a DIY build in my opinion.

Top Bottom