• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arylic A50 Review (wireless amplifier)

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ayrlic A50
How is this product rated at 4 stars on Amazon, are they unable to discern what sounds horrible?

The only time most people have heard quality audio is at a movie theater, since those generally have capable and professionally calibrated audio.

The second best audio they've heard is their factory-installed car stereo or maybe a TV soundbar.

So a couple of decent speakers plugged into this amp won't sound great by our standards but it will still probably be the best thing most people have heard outside of a movie theater.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Phoenix mating connector is provided for termination of speaker terminals. Such connectors are an odd choice in home hi-fi.
Connectors of similar style also used in some ultra budget micro systems, not only "noname" Chinese, for example Pioneer X-EM16:
pioneer-x-em16-5.jpg

9316994294.jpg
Like you connect some signalling buzzer :facepalm:

BostonJack

Editor
I spent $170 on pizza and champagne for dinner tonight. No need to convince me. I am not the market for this even if it was priced according to its performance.

I learned pre-covid that the easiest way to be a hit at a backyard BBQ is to show up with French champagne and steamed lobsters. Really "high class" backyard fare. Feed four for $100. The host and hostess thought it was funny and enjoyed it.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Looks quite useless as an amp, but it is still very cheap as a streamer only, wondering how it does at this task. There is a line out, so they tought of this use case. I obviously don't expect SOTA DAC, but wonder how bad.

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
A shame as the streaming and multi-room capabilities of this were so promising.

A big knock on this reviewer:

“We actually compared the A50 to our Naim Unity Atom and I have to tell you it wasn't embarrassed. Yes, yes the Naim Unity Atom is better; it sounds better, it's better built, it's more turn-key out-of-the-box, not to mention it has more functionality, in terms of connections, and it can drive harder to power loudspeakers… but that said in terms of overall kind of experience, and a large chunk of its sound quality, the A50 is kind of like a mini Atom. And so if you can live with say 75% of the performance of an atom for under 200 bucks that's the a50 in a nutshell.”

The Jniac

Ayrlic A50

How is this product rated at 4 stars on Amazon, are they unable to discern what sounds horrible?

I am sure that it would sound fine playing Spotify or whatever over the din of a workplace. That said, no, most people have no idea whatsoever about what sounds good. I bought an inexpensive Bluetooth adapter that had over 4.5 stars and dozens of reviews, and the distortion and noise was audible the moment I started using it. It was so bad that the distortion was even entirely noticeable when playing heavy metal through it.

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
@amirm Don’t forget about the SMSL SA300 review. If memory serves, you have one in your possession. Lots of interest for gold in the budget end in the community.

b1daly

Forum Donor

Vaskis

A shame as the streaming and multi-room capabilities of this were so promising.

A big knock on this reviewer:

“We actually compared the A50 to our Naim Unity Atom and I have to tell you it wasn't embarrassed. Yes, yes the Naim Unity Atom is better; it sounds better, it's better built, it's more turn-key out-of-the-box, not to mention it has more functionality, in terms of connections, and it can drive harder to power loudspeakers… but that said in terms of overall kind of experience, and a large chunk of its sound quality, the A50 is kind of like a mini Atom. And so if you can live with say 75% of the performance of an atom for under 200 bucks that's the a50 in a nutshell.”

This channel lost creditability when he reviewed DBR62 (Elac were begging to do so, haha). Get me right, I mean when random person states his opinion on how great are some cheap stuff it's fine and fun. But when some one states he is some experienced Hi-Fi reviewer for ages and seen a lot and then this happens with A50...
It's clear they just say what people want to hear. They just creating content, max views, max likes, max comments.

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I donated the Arylic A50 to ASR that I won on an Audioholics raffle because I had no use for it.
I am not exactly sure how it became a 2020 product of the year.

There results are not surprising given the low cost and it may still represent a good value.
For streaming, I'd prefer sticking to a Roon Bridge or Roon Ready products

- Rich

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I wonder if the Tibo Bond 4 is based on the same insides as the Arylic A50? That might make it a bit of a bargain for £80 in the UK...

Tibo Bond 4 | Smart Integrated Streaming Amplifier - Bluetooth Wi-Fi | 50 Watt | Internet Radio - Perfect for installation Black: Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers
Yes, there are dozens of devices that use the Linkplay A31 module and their cloud, including from Arylic, AudioEngine, AudioPro, KEiiD, Tibo and many others. They all share the same base app, which will work for any device using the Linkplay boards. I've found the AudioPro AB app to be about the best of the bunch.

https://www.linkplay.com/products-powered-by-linkplay

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I donated the Arylic A50 to ASR that I won on an Audioholics raffle because I had no use for it.

There results are not surprising given the low cost and it may still represent a good value.
For streaming, I'd prefer sticking to a Roon Bridge or Roon Ready products

- Rich
Hey, did I just gave you now your 1000 like? You owe me one now! :)

Cheers!

P.S.: Just realised it's #1001. :(

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, there are dozens of devices that use the Linkplay A31 module and their cloud, including from Arylic, AudioEngine, AudioPro, KEiiD, Tibo and many others. They all share the same base app, which will work for any device using the Linkplay boards. I've found the AudioPro AB app to be about the best of the bunch.

https://www.linkplay.com/products-powered-by-linkplay
Is this the software that uses the Muzo app ? I don't like that these solutions rely on running the app on your phone, unlike google cast which offloads the process to the receiving device.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Is this the software that uses the Muzo app ? I don't like that these solutions rely on running the app on your phone, unlike google cast which offloads the process to the receiving device.

Yes, it's the same app, but the stream doesn't run through your phone, it's direct from the music service to the device. Once you start a stream from the phone, you can turn the phone off and the music will continue (with the exception of Airplay, of course).

beagleman

Major Contributor
Because it probably does not sound horrible

In all likelihood this amp sounds fine. Why do you think it would sound horrible?

I am a bit confused. Has anyone even listened to it yet, or are some saying it MUST sound horrible based on some unknown?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I don't think it will sound horrible, after all at 2 x 20W it has 0.1% THD+N, so at this level it should be transparent enough. However, from a purely technical perspective this device, as an amplifier, doesn't excels at all.

DuncanTodd

Audioholics crowned this
- Rich
The AH review is just a fluff piece to generate affiliate link revenues. At such an attractive price and easy Amazon purchase, I assume it achieved that goal.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Top Bottom