• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
Oh Fudge!! I am so disappointed. I purchased a Yggdrasil in December. I am still waiting for it to "burn in." Ugh!

So is the brightness I hear in the sound the distortion or it's inability to play even 16-bit files?

Not a happy camper.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir how much warm up time did you give these things? I doubt you subscribe to it but Jason Stoddard mentioned that it needs about 72 hours to stabilize. The Gungnir MB I tried changed sound for about three days. Then it had much subtler changes for a week. (Subjective impressions).
The first time the machines were powered and running before I arrived. I measured the fully upgraded unit at the end of the meeting which put it at least being on for 3-4 hours.

The second time they were also on before I arrived so not sure how long. But I say in both cases the units were powered on and warmed up. But not 72 hours.

If Jason thinks there is a change after 72 hours, I like to see him show the measurements before and after that duration. If there is no change in measurements, then my data stands. :)

garbulky

Major Contributor
@amirm
Let me preface this by saying THANK YOU FOR THE MEASUREMENTS. It takes a boatload of time to do it.
Having said that...
Not waiting stands against the manufacturers reccomendation for optimal sound. But it still provides some data. I understand that there are time constraints and all. However, I can't see this as being representative of an Yggy functioning at full capacity for that reason. You weren't measuring it in the way it was reccomended.

I mean who knows, maybe it won't change at all. Maybe it will. But the guys that repurposed that DAC in to an audio DAC says it does so I'm inclined to go with the designers viewpoint. If you feel there is no purpose to it, I reccomend taking another set of measurements. That way you can both disprove the concept of warm up with this DAC - at least as far as measurements are concerned and you can show that you followed both ways.

For the other posters, fwiw, most people don't see the warm up time as being a sign of a good (read exotic) DAC. Most users including me (Gungnir MB) finding the warm up time a bit of a pain. I definitely wouldn't call it an advantage though. Most of the (subjective) reviews noted its sound change over time and most of them weren't pleased they had to wait.

Last edited:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the manufacturer recommends a warm up period, the onus is then on said manufacturer to provide evidence to that effect and justify the degradation of user experience as a result.

If your TV is black and white for 1 hour and only then it switches to color, would you still buy it? Wouldn't you want an explanation for this behavior? Somehow with audio, people are ready and willing to accept a side a poop with their meal .

Wombat

Master Contributor
Amir how much warm up time did you give these things? I doubt you subscribe to it but Jason Stoddard mentioned that it needs about 72 hours to stabilize. The Gungnir MB I tried changed sound for about three days. Then it had much subtler changes for a week. (Subjective impressions).

The warm-up issue was discussed in a previous thread related to a Schiit product. There have been so many Schitt threads that I can't locate it. Another member may be able to provide a link to it.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Any dac that doesnt reach 99.9999% of its potential performance within an hour is a poorly designed product. It is NOT a virtue to take longer. It just means the design is thermally unstable and just another feature to criticise.

Not that I think the performance of this dac takes 72 hours to stabalize. Thats just audiophile bs.

garbulky

Major Contributor
If the manufacturer recommends a warm up period, the onus is then on said manufacturer to provide evidence to that effect and justify the degradation of user experience as a result.
No it's not. It means they defined their optimum parameters.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Any dac that doesnt reach 99.9999% of its potential performance within an hour is a poorly designed product. It is NOT a virtue to take longer. It just means the design is thermally unstable.
None of that means what you say (except the bit about it not being a virtue). It means this DAC takes longer to stabilize. This DAC is meant to be left turned on.
Not that I think the performance of this dac takes 72 hours to stabalise. Thats just audiophile bs.
It could well be. Measurements could go a long way to showing that. Until then it's somebody arguing against the manufacturer.

Wombat

Master Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm
Let me preface this by saying THANK YOU FOR THE MEASUREMENTS. It takes a boatload of time to do it.
Having said that...
Not waiting stands against the manufacturers reccomendation for optimal sound. But it still provides some data. I understand that there are time constraints and all. However, I can't see this as being representative of an Yggy functioning at full capacity for that reason. You weren't measuring it in the way it was reccomended.
I remeasured the Schiit BiFrost Multibit after leaving it on overnight. It made no difference in measurements: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...t-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/page-5#post-63652

I just read the manual for Schiit Yggdrasil and there is no mention of requirement for warm up let alone 72 hours of it. So my measurements are compliant with manufacturer's instructions.

For the other posters, fwiw, most people don't see the warm up time as being a sign of a good (read exotic) DAC. Most users including me (Gungnir MB) finding the warm up time a bit of a pain. I definitely wouldn't call it an advantage though. Most of the (subjective) reviews noted its sound change over time and most of them weren't pleased they had to wait.
I have a Schiit Modi Multibit that I purchased. I am happy to test it and retest it after 72 hours. I am confident it won't show any difference but will test. :)

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
None of that means what you say. It means this DAC takes longer to stabilize.

It could well be. Measurements could go a long way to showing that. Until then it's somebody arguing against the manufacturer.

It really does. Thermal stability is a design consideration. So you are saying in a cold environment this dac performs noticeably differently (worse) to a hot environment. What a pile of shit :)

garbulky

Major Contributor
I remeasured the Schiit BiFrost Multibit after leaving it on overnight. It made no difference in measurements: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...t-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/page-5#post-63652

I just read the manual for Schiit Yggdrasil and there is no mention of requirement for warm up let alone 72 hours of it. So my measurements are compliant with manufacturer's instructions.

I have a Schiit Modi Multibit that I purchased. I am happy to test it and retest it after 72 hours. I am confident it won't show any difference but will test. :)
Hey measurements are always good. Thank you for doing a retest of the Schiit Bifrost MB!

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
But is there any reason that these devices would change after a 3 day warm up? I see claims that they need this long to stabilise but no details why it’s required, or what part of the system is unstable.
Warm up time is really just goal post shifting and hand waiving.
Precisely.

garbulky

Major Contributor
It really does. Thermal stability is a design consideration. So in a cold environment this da c performs noticeably differently to a hot environment. What a pile of shit :)
Yeah it's a design consideration. There's thermal stability. And then there's time to thermal stability. No it doesn't mean that regarding the environment. That's you extrapolating.

garbulky

Major Contributor
You have supporting information?
Check out baldr's posts on head-fi. He talks about the need for leaving it on. If you have issues with his explanation take it up with the designer. Oh and I agree with @amirm that it really needs to be mentioned in the manual and also preferrably on the web page.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Yeah it's a design consideration. No it doesn't mean that regarding the environment. That's you extrapolating.
It does. You are the one saying its performance is not good when cold at switch on. You are the one saying it needs 72 hours to get nice and comfortable and cozy before ot can do its job properly. So what if I use it in a cold room where the box internal temperature stays low, or in a room where the temperature varies?

What is it with audio product fan boyism?

Would you buy a tv that took 3 days to display the correct colour balance? No, you would rightly just say it was a pile of shit. Hohoho :)

Why not just buy a dac that doesnt have this requirement? Plenty of them out there.

garbulky

Major Contributor
It does. You are the one saying its performance is not good when cold at switch on. You are the one saying it needs 72 hours to get nice and comfortable and cozy before ot can do its job properly. So what if I use it in a cold room where the box internal temperature stays low, or in a room where the temperature varies.
What if you did? Also, would you be wearing a jacket in this situation? Or a fur coat?
What is it with audio product fan boyism?

Would you buy a tv that took 3 days to dispkay the correct colour balance? No you would just say it was a pile of shit. Hohoho :)
You make assumptions and use labels.
I wouldn't buy a tv that took 3 days to display the correct color balance. Correct. I turn my tv on and off when not in use.
Were you trying to relate that to the Yggy DAC? Cuz it's not a tv. Because if I thought it sounded good, I'd have no problem buying it if it took 3 days to sound its best. I would plan to leave it on the whole time.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeah it's a design consideration. There's thermal stability. And then there's time to thermal stability. No it doesn't mean that regarding the environment. That's you extrapolating.
These DACs were quite warm when I tested them. Can't imagine needing more time to stabilize after a few hours.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you have issues with his explanation take it up with the designer.
Not possible. He has banned me after a few posts in his thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom