• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8010A Powered Studio Monitor Review

milezone

Forum Donor
Due to their small size I believe these speakers aren't at their best even at 86 dB. It's telling that the Genelec manual specs harmonic distortion at 80 dB for these but higher for other models. Numbers from the manuals I have on hand:

8010a @ 80 dB 70-400 Hz <3% harmonic distortion
G One @ 85 dB 70-400 Hz <3% harmonic distortion *
8030c @ 85 dB 50-100 Hz <2% harmonic distortion
8040b @ 90 dB 50-100 Hz <2% harmonic distortion
8341 @ 90 dB 50-100 Hz <2% harmonic distortion
8050b @ 90 dB 50-100 Hz <2% harmonic distortion
8260a @ 90 dB 50-100 Hz <1% harmonic distortion

* Surprisingly the G One, very similar to the 8010 but with a 12W instead of a 25W bass amp, is rated at 85 dB.

I sit close and don't usually play my desktop speakers very loud so these would probably sound fantastic. I'd still go for a sub though.

I own pairs of 8320 and 8330s and have owned 8010s. The contrary to what I mentioned earlier, I prefer the 8320s as they're a bit more punchy and fast in presentation compared with the 8330s. I'm not a fan of accentuated bass. For example the HD800S headphones feel too bass accentuated for my preference, compared with the original HD800s which I like quite a bit. The 8320s without a subwoofer are perfect for a small home office/recording studio application imho.

hansel_

Does anyone have any opinions about pairing 8010A's with a KRK 8 Sub rather than the 7040a?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought these with a subwoofer for one of my standing desk setups. I don't have enough patch cords to put the sub in yet, but the 8010s sound good, very nice imaging at my desktop, clean mid and treble. Much more "open", than other desktop speakers/sound bars I've got lying around. They hiss, though. By dip-switching to lower sensitivity (-10db), it's down to only barely noticeable, but at full sensitivity it is a serious, audible, drawback. Even at the low sensitivity, I only use the first 35 degrees of the volume pot on the iFi iDSD DAC, so it may be that a lower gain pre-amp would also help with the noise a little? Wondering if I should go with a direct connection to MacBook Pro, but not sure what the right connection would be- (XLR on the Genelec, so the iFi had that covered). I like having the headphone option.

YSC

Major Contributor
I bought these with a subwoofer for one of my standing desk setups. I don't have enough patch cords to put the sub in yet, but the 8010s sound good, very nice imaging at my desktop, clean mid and treble. Much more "open", than other desktop speakers/sound bars I've got lying around. They hiss, though. By dip-switching to lower sensitivity (-10db), it's down to only barely noticeable, but at full sensitivity it is a serious, audible, drawback. Even at the low sensitivity, I only use the first 35 degrees of the volume pot on the iFi iDSD DAC, so it may be that a lower gain pre-amp would also help with the noise a little? Wondering if I should go with a direct connection to MacBook Pro, but not sure what the right connection would be- (XLR on the Genelec, so the iFi had that covered). I like having the headphone option.
if you are only using the first 35 degrees of the volume pot, why don't you lower the sensitivity to -10db??? I think it's a rule of thumb to use lowest gain when your preamp or dac have excessive volume?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
If the input sensitivity switch is doing something, the fault must lie in your electronics.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
if you are only using the first 35 degrees of the volume pot, why don't you lower the sensitivity to -10db??? I think it's a rule of thumb to use lowest gain when your preamp or dac have excessive volume?
Well I did, as I stated.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the input sensitivity switch is doing something, the fault must lie in your electronics.
Good point. Or before the gain stage at any event.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess is too much overhead with marketing and support (or because they can and the US pro market will pay for it)... I bought my 2 pairs and accessories from a French pro audio online store. Without VAT, it was a good deal, shipping costs were very reasonable, and I didn’t have to pay any US custom fees (but I was ready for it).
Hi what site did you buy yours from? Thanks.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought these with a subwoofer for one of my standing desk setups. I don't have enough patch cords to put the sub in yet, but the 8010s sound good, very nice imaging at my desktop, clean mid and treble. Much more "open", than other desktop speakers/sound bars I've got lying around. They hiss, though. By dip-switching to lower sensitivity (-10db), it's down to only barely noticeable, but at full sensitivity it is a serious, audible, drawback. Even at the low sensitivity, I only use the first 35 degrees of the volume pot on the iFi iDSD DAC, so it may be that a lower gain pre-amp would also help with the noise a little?
Disconnect the input cable. Do they still hiss? If not it's the source which has too much noise, not the 8010.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi what site did you buy yours from? Thanks.
I bought all my Genelec monitors and accessories from Global Audio Store, they are located In Toulouse, France. I’d suggest you email them and ask for a quote, the web site might not show everything.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Disconnect the input cable. Do they still hiss? If not it's the source which has too much noise, not the 8010.

Answer is yes, they still hiss when disconnected.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Answer is yes, they still hiss when disconnected.
sensitivity -10 dB or normal?

Just looked into the manual here and input sensitivity is -6 dBu (= 0.39 Vrms) for 100 dB SPL at 1m distance in normal mode which is quite high. For connection with a DAC or preamp you should engage the -10 dB switch which results in a sensitivity of +4 dBu (= 1.78 Vrms).

A friend of mine bought several 8020a which have a volume knob in front. He turned them to max and connected them to his Marantz AV7701 AV processor. The Audissey calibration then reduced the output of the AVP to some -20 dB. The 8020a did hiss and hum because the S/N of the AVP is not very good. Setting the volume of the 8020a to the 10 o'clock position made hiss and hum inaudible, and the Audissey calibration set the output to more sensible values.

Pawelekdabek

As far as I know, genelecs do hiss without source as any other studio monitors and input sensitivity does not affect it's hiss levels.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
And i thought i love Genelec lol
Screenshot_20210124-125826.jpg

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So as not to vex anyone, in subsequent tests: when disconnected, the hiss level is the same regardless of sensitivity setting. Re-connected, I can no longer reproduce the high noise I was getting initially.

It appears both that a) there is audible but low-level hiss in 8010 and b) there is something (else) going wrong in my iFi DAC. I'm not surprised, it's buggy as hell. That's why it was in a closet, not my main system, until I set up the desktop. It does have XLR out...

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
So as not to vex anyone, in subsequent tests: when disconnected, the hiss level is the same regardless of sensitivity setting. Re-connected, I can no longer reproduce the high noise I was getting initially.

It appears both that a) there is audible but low-level hiss in 8010 and b) there is something (else) going wrong in my iFi DAC. I'm not surprised, it's buggy as hell. That's why it was in a closet, not my main system, until I set up the desktop. It does have XLR out...
I’d try to contact Genelec support. Or post on their forum the issues you are having. I think you’re more likely to get a solution there.

All powered monitors have a small amount of self noise though, but it shouldn’t be noticeable at the listening position.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor

Mosiris

Which Genelecs would you guys recommend? Is 8010A sufficient for desktop use or is going upto 8030C just worth the money so I don't get the upgrade itch. Also is there anything else in the lineup worth it more in the similar price range? Really debating if I should just pony up the cash and get the 8030C.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Which Genelecs would you guys recommend? Is 8010A sufficient for desktop use or is going upto 8030C just worth the money so I don't get the upgrade itch. Also is there anything else in the lineup worth it more in the similar price range? Really debating if I should just pony up the cash and get the 8030C.
To give you some context, I use the 8030C as mid field speakers in my home office space. And they fill the room and can play much louder than I will ever need. I’d say you’ll probably be safe with a pair of 8010A or 8020D for near field (I haven’t experienced those - I’m just speculating). If money is no object, I’d go for the 8331A’s instead with the GLM kit.

GLM has been so effective in my main system that I’ve ordered a pair of 8330A to replace my 8030C’s.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

8030C is the best value in the Genelec lineup, imo, and well worth the price difference over the 8010A.

Top Bottom