• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

bi-amping

OP
izeek

izeek

What speakers? How much power do they require?
I get the impression that with many speakers with multiple binding posts it all connects to the same input on the passive crossover?
if youre asking about mine, jbl i890s.
250w. im pushing 150w .
definitely a crossover. the posts need jumpered to run the usual way.

bigguyca

What speakers? How much power do they require?
I get the impression that with many speakers with multiple binding posts it all connects to the same input on the passive crossover?

You're kidding. Is it April 1st already?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

On mine, there is a lowpass filter for the woofer, and a highpass to the "tweeter".

There's no connection between them when the binding post jumpers are removed.

1611532017974.png

bigguyca

Here is an article that explains bi-amping quite well https://sound-au.com/bi-amp.htm If you really want to get the full benefit you might want to consider active crossovers and by passing the ones in your speakers.

Do you have any idea of the amount of work required to do this correctly? For moderately price speakers, unless it's done as a hobby project, it would be a waste of time. Some of the work involved:

o Measure the T/S parameters of each driver

o Measure the response of the passive crossover

o Measure the overall response of the loudspeaker in quite a bit of detail

Of course you have no idea of the parameters used to design the speaker. You have have no idea how far the drivers are from spec. You have no idea how far the crossover is from spec. You have no idea how the entire loudspeaker would have performed if built to spec. You have no idea how the characteristics of the drivers was used as effectively part of the passive crossover.

You need to decide if you will just duplicate the speaker as built, determine how it would have worked had it been built to spec., if you can determine what that spec is, or just change the whole design.

You can next determine why you a spending so much time messing with $5 to $10 drivers and perhaps a nice monkey coffin, to attempt to improve on a $1k MSRP loudspeaker that had a manufacturing cost of perhaps $100 in the PRC.

levimax

Major Contributor
Do you have any idea of the amount of work required to do this correctly? For moderately price speakers, unless it's done as a hobby project, it would be a waste of time. Some of the work involved:

o Measure the T/S parameters of each driver

o Measure the response of the passive crossover

o Measure the overall response of the loudspeaker in quite a bit of detail

Of course you have no idea of the parameters used to design the speaker. You have have no idea how far the drivers are from spec. You have no idea how far the crossover is from spec. You have no idea how the entire loudspeaker would have performed if built to spec. You have no idea how the characteristics of the drivers was used as effectively part of the passive crossover.

You need to decide if you will just duplicate the speaker as built, determine how it would have worked had it been built to spec., if you can determine what that spec is, or just change the whole design.

You can next determine why you a spending so much time messing with $5 to $10 drivers and perhaps a nice monkey coffin, to attempt to improve on a $1k MSRP loudspeaker that had a manufacturing cost of perhaps $100 in the PRC.

Yes I understand exactly what is involved and have done it on several different speakers. Yes it is a hobby project and probably "not worth it" unless you enjoy the journey. Since active crossovers have a lot of advantages and a test Mic is cheap and the software to measure and create filters is free it is not that hard to come up with something that performs better than original. Just passive "bi-amping" with the existing crossovers it is doubtful any meaningful improvement will be realized.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thiele Small parameters are really only relevant for wooofers.

Almost any passive loudspeaker is improved whenbi or triamped,, made active. There is so much hardware available now for almost no money that makes it very easy to do. I don't know what kind of traumatic experience bigguyca had that made him believe the exact opposite of what is true but it sure is different from my experience since the 1970s.

Top Bottom