• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The drums, oh the drums

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
A classic: http://sheffieldlab.com/item.php?item_id=42&category_id=2003
1611504884266.png

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Always enjoyed Tony Williams' kick (and drumming generally) in the intro to Miles Davis' Agitation (1965):

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Album who impressed me the most (drum wise) during my life is definitely Condemned by Confessor. Gojira's first album, Terra Incognita, is also an overlooked classic, with a mix putting the very good drums and bass quite forward. Otherwise, a pot-pourri of relevant tracks:

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve never felt the visceral impact of the live performance from the drumwall on any system. PVC IV and Utne Wire Man just have to be experienced live:

This one is very good, too:

Martin

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
John Bonham deserves the whole song:

Interesting video on how Bonzo's drums were recorded:

Martin

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
If we're going the metal route...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I bought this CD. There are different versions of this recording. The one on my CD is not as good as this one:

I have that original LP but do not have my turntable set up (and no plans to do so). I rarely listen to the track CD, usually just when setting up or tweaking a system, and with time constraints not even then. So not competent to compare; I'll take your word for it.

There are several old Flim and the BB's recordings with good drum tracks on them, though the mix is a little "interesting" on some of them.

I find good drum (and overall sound) on many of the Sheffield Lab recordings. But, I like a lot of the music, met Doug once or twice, and Lincoln several times (he was also a friend of the conductor/pianist of our local orchestra for a while before he passed away). Never met or even saw Amanda, always managed to miss her (rare) appearances.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A shout-out for probably the most sampled kick in history:

Wombat

Master Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor

Top Bottom