• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any budget subwoofer with in-line high pass filter?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW here is the predicted response of the filter in line with my speakers (Salk WOW1). When I measured, that peak near 80Hz was a couple dB higher than predicted (sorry, I lost the actual measurements).
View attachment 108124

That's actually a pretty good result. The peak at 80Hz doesn't look nice, but at those frequencies the room is more important, anyway. The 4-5dB dip in the lower-midrange is probably a bit more of a problem.

How did it sound?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's actually a pretty good result. The peak at 80Hz doesn't look nice, but at those frequencies the room is more important, anyway. The 4-5dB dip in the lower-midrange is probably a bit more of a problem.

How did it sound?
I thought it sounded fine, although I was doing this at work and the speaker was just on my bench. The whole reason for this was I wanted to run these speakers and a sub as a 2nd set of speakers from an amp in the next room. But the peaking was enough for me to axe the idea. I went with a dedicated amp and miniDSP.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought it sounded fine, although I was doing this at work and the speaker was just on my bench. The whole reason for this was I wanted to run these speakers and a sub as a 2nd set of speakers from an amp in the next room. But the peaking was enough for me to axe the idea. I went with a dedicated amp and miniDSP.

Would have made the same decision :)

izeek

https://www.amazon.com/FMOD-Crossover-Pair-High-Pass/dp/B0006N41KG

These cost under $30 are 12db/octave, passive, and go inline between your DAC and power amp. Note that Crown XLS amplifiers have (among other features) a built in crossover. That's what I use.
hey. youre using a crown for home audio. xls connectors i assume?
i tried a 210 i got cheap but wasnt able to make it fit. never got enough volume before it clipped.
im sure i know nothing much about gain staging which seems to be a thing with pro amps moreso.

nick-v

A few years ago I had picked up a pair of used Velodyne SPL-1000R subwoofers (2 different purchases). They had some form of microphone-based Graphic Auto-EQ and they had line-outs high-passed at 80Hz.

They were actually fairly good performers for the relatively cheap price I paid for them on the used market (around $250-300 each).

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
hey. youre using a crown for home audio. xls connectors i assume?
i tried a 210 i got cheap but wasnt able to make it fit. never got enough volume before it clipped.
im sure i know nothing much about gain staging which seems to be a thing with pro amps moreso.

Just RCA connectors from a Topping D30 DAC. It gets loud without clipping. I also use the amplifier chaining feature as a splitter for my Subs.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, it should be mentioned that you can just use a cap for a 6dB filter between your amp and speakers so that you don't have the problematic peaking. That's all there is to the HP output filters in most subwoofers that have them.

SKBubba

A crazy idea to consider. Get a cheap (or used or refurb) Denon AVR that has bass management. Even the cheapest model without Audyssey has it. All in with a cheap Dayton sub is considerably less than the SVS solution.

Top Bottom