• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV7705 Home Theater Processor Review

G-man

I had a little "buyer's remorse" after seeing this post AFTER buying the 7705 but I think the sound quality is fine. A little research and I would doubt im pushing the processor or amp near its potential, which means i doubt im getting any distortion.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a little "buyer's remorse" after seeing this post AFTER buying the 7705 but I think the sound quality is fine. A little research and I would doubt im pushing the processor or amp near its potential, which means i doubt im getting any distortion.

You always get some, just a question whether it is below the threshold of audibility for you in you listening environment/conditions. I bet for most people who don't listen to reference level from >10 ft the 7705 should have no sound signature in direct mode using analog inputs.

witchdoctor

Newbie here, but have learned a lot from these posts. Just purchased a 7705 and an Emotiva XPA 11. Since the nominal impedence of my new amp is rated at delivering maximum output at 1.5 volts (8ohms) wouldnt running the processor to 12 volts be extremely unnecessary?

Congratulations! Have you decided on how to set up your speakers? Atmos? Auro 3D?

witchdoctor

I read that review and then the review for the processors that cost 3 x as much with similar specs. It is what it is and with proper setup you will be enjoying a lot.

G-man

Atmos setup, with 9 channels currently and adding two more (front height) very soon to fully utilize the new XPA 11. Love the sound so far but always looking for ways to make it better. Trying to add a 3rd subwoofer today as well!

witchdoctor

Atmos setup, with 9 channels currently and adding two more (front height) very soon to fully utilize the new XPA 11. Love the sound so far but always looking for ways to make it better. Trying to add a 3rd subwoofer today as well!

I have been using the 7702 for years in a dual Atmos/Auro 3D configuration. I would recommend experimenting with the various music upmixers. Auro-3D has settings for the size of the room and another as to how much of the height channels you want to engage. You can tweak that to get it dialed in for your taste. I did a little tweaking for the VOG channel as well. I used a switch box and two VOG speakers over the MLP. I can switch it from VOG for Auro to top middle for when I engage Atmos.

witchdoctor

Auro would only be possible with movies encoded in it right?

Auro has an upmixer which can be engaged for ALL content, 2 channels, DTS, DD, etc. There is not very much native Auro content available so I mainly use the upmixer (auromatic). On your remote you have buttons to select surround settings. Just cycle through and you'll find Auro 2D and 3D.
Auro 2D doesn't use height speakers and sounds great in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

gew55

I am still waiting for a measurement of the ROTEL RSP-1576MKII by Amirm

Vivek

Forum Donor
I am still waiting for a measurement of the ROTEL RSP-1576MKII by Amirm
I dont think the 1576 mk11 is being sold in th market yet.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oké, we have to wait a bit longer
Remember too, it is dependent on a member sending one in to be measured. This tends to work best when owners have it drop shipped directly to him when they make the purchase. Generally the place you buy it from ships it for free and he ships it to the owner for free so you aren’t out any shipping.

Tlsrulz

I'm in the middle of deciding if I should go for the 7706 or the Anthem 70 (1K more)... Ideally I would like to stick with the 7706 as I can use the 1K elsewhere in the HT.. as well as 7.2.4 is the max HT speaker config I will need.. (anthem supports more ch which I wont need for my room). As well as Marantz supports Auro which is probably something I would like to try .. and is missing from Anthems lineup.

However, this review now has me questioning the sound quality and output capability of Marantz.. unless they corrected it in the 7706 ?? but maybe need to wait and see.. Guess will need to wait for Amir to get a 7706 to review.

Are there any other pre-pros in this price range 2.5K - 3.5K that measure up ?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm in the middle of deciding if I should go for the 7706 or the Anthem 70 (1K more)... Ideally I would like to stick with the 7706 as I can use the 1K elsewhere in the HT.. as well as 7.2.4 is the max HT speaker config I will need.. (anthem supports more ch which I wont need for my room). As well as Marantz supports Auro which is probably something I would like to try .. and is missing from Anthems lineup.

However, this review now has me questioning the sound quality and output capability of Marantz.. unless they corrected it in the 7706 ?? but maybe need to wait and see.. Guess will need to wait for Amir to get a 7706 to review.

Pros for the AVM processors: ARC Genesis is super easy to use and deals with your room issues, comes with quality mic and stand. Individual sub control with balanced outs, wide range of inbuilt streaming options. I'm not familiar with the features of the Marantz, but once you use ARC it's hard to go without. Just my opinion.

Tlsrulz

Yea the 7706 from the website apparently has Audyssey Sub EQ HT for 2 SW outputs.. along with the usual Audyssey MultEQ XT32 ... I dont know Audyssey vs ARC vs Dirac is a whole another debate.. I don't have either right now .. so cant say. I'm trying to justify the usefulness of the extra 1K spend on the Anthem 70 for my use case. (as well as assuming the high freq noise is fixed in the 7706).

oupee

Tlsrulz

Thanks for that video oupee.. I saw that before.. however I think you misunderstood.. I am going separates.. Both the Marantz 7706 and the Anthem AVM70 are separates.. I know separates sound better ...However my dilemma is with the measurements of the older Marantz 7705 based on Amirs measurements, had Marantz done anything about it in the 7706.. Their sister brand Denon measures very well in all x700 series.

psraj

Thanks for that video oupee.. I saw that before.. however I think you misunderstood.. I am going separates.. Both the Marantz 7706 and the Anthem AVM70 are separates.. I know separates sound better ...However my dilemma is with the measurements of the older Marantz 7705 based on Amirs measurements, had Marantz done anything about it in the 7706.. Their sister brand Denon measures very well in all x700 series.
I would take the 7705 review here with the pinch of salt. What I mean is, most of the measurements that seem not up to par are levels that you can't even hear in real world scenarios. After reading the 7705 review, I went with a Denon, and was disappointed with its overall surround audio quality compared to age old yamaha 1060. Then I returned the Denon and got the 7706 for some extra $$$. But the results are exceptional. I am very satisfied I got the 7706.

I was in the same boat. My av7702 mkii has started having some issues. I was willing to shell out the extra for the avm 70, but it's extremely hard to find and I need something asap. Given the fire at akm, the av7706 was hard to find also, but in stock at a few of vendors while most said it could be weeks or even months before it was back in stock. I considered going the denon route, but read a lot of reviews of comparing them and the totl marantz avrs to the av7705 and 7706 and from all accounts, the av preamp always seem to come out on top, and that's even including the vaulted x8500 denon. Plus sometimes we can get too obsessed with measurements that seem to be inaudible.

So I pulled the trigger on the av7706 from musicdirect. The feature set, balanced outs and being more future proof than the 7705 put it over the top for me. I'm running an atmos 5.2.4 setup and in the process of expanding my setup to 7.2.4. It will be here Friday, so I will post my findings after getting up and running.

Oh, and some of the comparisons I read, did indicate tdisconnect of the internal amps from the denons, but the av preamps still came out on top. I know you can take those reviews with a grain of salt, but they still have some value to me.

Top Bottom