• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upcoming Tom Danley Hifi speakers

TimVG

Major Contributor
Danley Sound Labs is excited to announce our new line of Tom Danley Signature series loudspeakers. Tom Danley is known for his innovative and creative designs that are found in the largest and most demanding performance spaces across the globe. Tom’s love of music started by being introduced to music in his home. It’s now time for that innovation and creativity to be experienced in the most intimate of spaces, yours. Whether it’s the latest blockbuster movie, musical artist or your favorite tried and true recordings, when listened through a Tom Danley Signature series loudspeaker you’ll hear fidelity and power as you’ve never heard before. Most importantly, you’ll be reminded of the power of audio, why you love music, and why you’ll always love your Danley Loudspeakers!

http://tomdanley.com/

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor

Such a tease right? I think I'm seeing the outlines of a floor standing synergy horn in the video.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
345BA67E-D711-4AB4-B931-253147757A5E.jpeg

This might be it..

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
oooh, my antennae are up!

EDIT: This is a good excuse for a wee small shout-out to Tom Danley. He is, or at least has been, a fairly regular poster to some of the forums at audioasylum. He is unfailingly polite, non-pedantic, gracious, articulate and very clear in responses to the great unwashed (myself included) of hifi.
I've had the privilege, and pleasure, of exchanging messages with him a few times, on several topics in the general arena of high sensitivity loudpseakers and horn loading. It probably goes without saying that I am 1) strictly a hobbyist and 2) just the tiniest quantum notch :) "above" clueless in such matters -- but his posts were always engaged, engaging, non-judgmental (!) and educational.

Based on my (strictly anecdotal!) observations, he is absolutely top-class.
Just wanted to write that down someplace, sometime -- this thread seems like a good place, and time.
:)

Last edited:

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Coax on the throat, going to guess 5inch by eye.
I would make the bass driver at 6.5inch.

Neo motor on the bass unit, so not cheap.

The 'tubes' on the right look like reinforcement for the injection moulded horn.

Coverage pattern looks to be 90 degrees. Looks like a flared exit though, which is new for Danley as far as I know.

If the rest is right, I would make the mouth 18 inches wide, this would give it about a cut off for horn loading of 800hz.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been super interested in Danley speakers ever since I heard the SH50 in a blind speaker shootout. As a 3 way point source design, I'm really curious to see how they measure.

Part of the reason I went with JTR over Danley was simply due to aesthetics. The SH50's just had too much of "PA speaker" look for my living room(though they don't sound like it). The JTR towers (luckily) turned out to be wonderful speakers, but if Danley had had a more home friendly tower speaker at that time, I may have gone with them. I think this is a good move for them, and many "audiophiles" will be very surprised(in a good way).

Perhaps Danley could send to Amir(or @hardisj now ;)) some models themselves?

williamwally

Forum Donor
This is going to be huge! But hopefully not physically so.

Neat:
1611096764462.png

On a side note from time to time I've been bugging Ian on the DSL users group to send Amir some speakers to test.
Hopefully that will finally come to fruition soon!

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a wee small shout-out to Tom Danley
I'll join that chorus! I met Tom when they were also doing ultrasonic levitation of laser-heated mini glowing metal spheres. And the first rotary sub prototype, which had morphed into a monstrous line array of fan/paddle fed horn segments for simulating space shuttle launches for NASA. What a crazy, imaginative guy. The coolest thing though was maybe a speaker that look like one segment of a Japanese room divider panel, which had a fixed edge and a loose edge and did 80-18k Hz pretty perfectly by flapping-I wonder whatever happened to that?

williamwally

Forum Donor
More info up: https://www.tomdanley.com/hyperion

1615086081264.png

1615086140131.png

Speaker type | 4-Way Powered
Tweeter | 1” Polyester / Neodymium / Kapton
Midrange | 5” Treated Paper / Neodymium / Kapton
Woofer | 2x 8” Treated Paper / Neodymium
Subwoofer | 2x 15” Long Excursion
Frequency Response | 14Hz-23.7KHz
Crossover Frequency | 2kHz / 260Hz / 45Hz
Total Amplifier Power | 2650 Watt
Bass Amplifier | 1500 Watt
Low Amplifier | 750 Watt
Mid/High Amplifier | 400 Watt
Inputs | XLR

Much want

Screenshot_20210306-211242_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm dying to see the off axis on this. Looks like a regular Danley 90 speaker on a bass cab.

More potential support for my hunch that Neo drivers sound better (no evidence per say)

That's one 'F'ing huge domestic speaker.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More info up: https://www.tomdanley.com/hyperion

View attachment 116726
View attachment 116727
Speaker type | 4-Way Powered
Tweeter | 1” Polyester / Neodymium / Kapton
Midrange | 5” Treated Paper / Neodymium / Kapton
Woofer | 2x 8” Treated Paper / Neodymium
Subwoofer | 2x 15” Long Excursion
Frequency Response | 14Hz-23.7KHz
Crossover Frequency | 2kHz / 260Hz / 45Hz
Total Amplifier Power | 2650 Watt
Bass Amplifier | 1500 Watt
Low Amplifier | 750 Watt
Mid/High Amplifier | 400 Watt
Inputs | XLR

Much want

View attachment 116729

14Hz o_O. I'm guessing this thing will still have incredible dynamics, despite the super low extension.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like this might solve the issues of direct-radiating coaxs with FR variation with SPL at higher frequencies, IMD, compression and max SPL.

Wombat

Master Contributor
But will it fit on the ASR Klippel rig? ;)

KSTR

Major Contributor
This speaker is going to be killer. I've heard Danley systems on a few occasions and every single time I was deeply impressed.
And now, with a fully optimized crossover etc, this will be a benchmark speaker.

Tom's FR data can be trusted. He usually hangs his speakers up high on a tree or crane to measure them anechoic. The pro installers demand off-axis data and Tom does provide CLF data for all his pro speakers so I would assume his first HiFi speaker will also undergo the same scrutiny.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
so I would assume his first HiFi speaker will also undergo the same scrutiny.

Interesting classifying it as a home theatre or entertainment system speaker. Does that mean it's going to be utilitarian in finish and be rather ugly? Heard and not seen?

1615252299373.png

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's one I would love to hear. A 22.5" wide, ~55" tall, ~28" deep set of towers isn't something I'm personally ever likely to purchase regardless of price or quality, but I'd still love to hear 'em.

I do think built-in amps is unfortunate, though. Perhaps they pop out and can be remote amps, as Neumann does with their big speakers. If so, that's the best of both worlds.

Top Bottom