• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XTZ EDGE A2-300 Review (amplifier)

Draki

Attachments

• EDGE_A2-300_Top_Open.4500x3000.jpg
    EDGE_A2-300_Top_Open.4500x3000.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 590

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This amplifier does not use Ice Edge technology, despite its name. XTZ have a new model coming out based on the Ice Edge boards. I’d be eager to see how those perform on the bench.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This amplifier does not use Ice Edge technology, despite its name. XTZ have a new model coming out based on the Ice Edge boards. I’d be eager to see how those perform on the bench.
From the 1200AS ICEpower datasheet, the highs behave a lot better. Should be somewhat comparable to NCore.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is a review and detailed measurements of the XTZ A2-300 class D amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $500 from the company direct (which is located in Europe). It is based on B&O ICE 300ASC or its newer name, 300A1.

While you won't mistake the enclosure for A2-300 as a high-end, custom design, it has enough extra touches to set it above typical DIY type cases:

View attachment 106380

There are some nice looking vents on the side. Note however that all the heat is centralized in the center bottom panel as is typical of class D amp modules. In use though, the bottom barely got warm although I could smell heat generation through side vents.

I was disappointed to not see balanced inputs:
View attachment 106381

The gain potentiometer will make the unit flexible but they are typically not good for reliability. Since these controls don't get used often, then tend to go bad. If you buy this unit, be sure to turn the control left and right once a few months.

Binding posts are substantial which I liked.

XTZ A2-300 Measurements
As usual, we start with our dashboard of 5 watts into 4 ohm:
View attachment 106382

As noted, I adjusted the gain control to give me roughly 29 dB which is the standard value I use for my testing (and matches the THX recommendations). Distortion is fairly low at -98 dB or so but there is enough noise to cost you 10 dB and a bit more in the other channel. This makes SINAD still above average:
View attachment 106383

As noted, noise is somewhat an issue and we can see that in signal to noise ratio:

View attachment 106384

Notice how one channel is 3.5 dB worse than the other.

I was a bit disappointed to see frequency response being impacted by my simple resistive load, showing peaking around 20 kHz:
View attachment 106385

More complex speaker loads may make this worse (or better).

Crosstalk is OK:
View attachment 106386

Here is our power level versus distortion+noise at 4 ohm:

View attachment 106387

We see the same noise differential here and some distortion differential as well (although the latter is somewhat common). Power is way short of 300 watts. Letting distortion rise to 1% which is what the spec calls for, we are still shy of that:
View attachment 106388

So definitely not conservatively rated.

8 ohm load naturally produces a lot less power:
View attachment 106389

Typical of ICE modules, they don't behave evenly across the frequency range:

View attachment 106390

That is quite a variation in distortion and noise relative to power. In some sense then our previous tests using 1 kHz are not as representative of the total performance.

Conclusions
I started the review liking the enclosure. But then got a bit more jaded with unbalanced only inputs, and higher than expected noise level, high frequency dependency on both frequency response and distortion+noise. Then again, performance is still above average compared to many amplifiers I have tested. This produced a quandary for me. I could recommend it and justify it. At the end, I decided to not recommend it but without strong feelings one way or the other. You have the data to decide for yourself.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Many thanks for this review @amirm.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
You know, I don't think this amp measures any worse than a significantly far more expensive Naim amp confection and that's current models tested to have up to 20dB better distortion than the old 'CB case' models I used to sell in the 80's - I'm using fairly recent Stereophile measurements and 80's 'Choice tests here.

By ASR standards, this amp isn't cheap. In domestic audiophile land, it's beer-budget I reckon.
Agreed, this was the only commercial amp that was on my list. I think I shall take a look at the Audiophonics MPA-S125NC which I presume will better this

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this the same ICE power module used in the Emotiva Stealth PA-1?
The PA-1 used a mono module. I believe the XTZ uses a stereo module. PA-1 is probably discontinued.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this the same ICE power module used in the Emotiva Stealth PA-1?
This is the stereo version, but yes Emotiva uses the mono version. PS Audio uses this same stereo module though, selling for a measly $1500; granted it looks nicer than this (and with balanced inputs, 12v triggers, and much nicer binding posts), but still.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Seems way to expensive for what it is.

Is that really fair? There are tons of power amplifiers out there which measure even worse than this, but cost ten times as much.

On the flip side, are there really that many power amplifiers that are cheaper and better?

vkvedam

Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't know that. It's not going to help if he's from the US though
Sorry-didn't notice you're from the Mother Country. Someone could buy it for you and ship it to you perhaps?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that really fair? There are tons of power amplifiers out there which measure even worse than this, but cost ten times as much.

On the flip side, are there really that many power amplifiers that are cheaper and better?
cf. post #32.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
cf. post #32.

Sure, but it's not like there's a bunch of offerings like that one. So I don't see "way too expensive" being accurate compared to most alternatives.

Top Bottom