• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Unicore

Archsam

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
So what do you think? Another subwoofer or a new speaker? White color drivers?

I think it will show up in a new speaker along with the Meta coaxial, but that guess is worth what you paid for it.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think it will show up in a new speaker along with the Meta coaxial, but that guess is worth what you paid for it.
Time to daydream. :) I would like to see something like an LS50W II on steroids with a large enclosure to accommodate the new bass drivers. Make it go down to 35-30Hz and have DSP. Price it between 5-6$K.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to see how it saves that much space except in very small speakers, and it will dictate the cabinet dimensions, I can only think something like a mini Blade, little bigger than an LS50, which sounds cool.

stren

Forum Donor
Either
- for upgrading their existing subs
- for upgrading the blades to a new version with the meta driver too
- for a 60th anniversary product later this year - the LS60/LS60W, I'd prefer it to be called the mini blade.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Time to daydream. :) I would like to see something like an LS50W II on steroids with a large enclosure to accommodate the new bass drivers. Make it go down to 35-30Hz and have DSP. Price it between 5-6$K.

How about something like the R3 with a slightly deeper cabinet? Mini-Blade, do you mean a switchblade? If it's just a sub, I will be disappointed.

"The saved space provides the drivers far more excursion than an equivalent-sized, force-cancelling design, unlocking more output and depth from much less space. This patent-pending technology smoothly delivers powerful and deep bass response while removing the space concerns that are often obstacles to premium subwoofer performance." From the news release, emphasis added.

Last edited:

stren

Forum Donor
kef-blade-and-blade-two-floorstanding-speakers-kef-404664_grande.jpg

similar, but also not... the spider is far larger on the kef link. Makes me think sub?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know how this is different from their Rb400 sub. But would be interesting if they could use this for cardioid bass.

Perhaps pair it with a 12th generation uni-q with cabinet side vents and DSP and do a D & D type speaker for around $5k.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t forget that in a passive system you have to balance cabinet volume, efficiency, and extension. I don’t think KEF is into 70dB/2.83V/1m speakers, so to really allow higher bass SPL into a smaller volume an active design is required. So subwoofers or active speakers. It would be nice to see KEF launch actives that compete with Adam/Genelec/Neumann on design, but in home friendly cabinets. They will have to get over their current stupid allergy to grilles though.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wowow. KEF has really gotten aggressive with the engineering. It's like the KEF twin coupled cavity bass reproduction system with opposing phase cancellation steel rod between the woofer but way better.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t forget that in a passive system you have to balance cabinet volume, efficiency, and extension. I don’t think KEF is into 70dB/2.83V/1m speakers, so to really allow higher bass SPL into a smaller volume an active design is required. So subwoofers or active speakers. It would be nice to see KEF launch actives that compete with Adam/Genelec/Neumann on design, but in home friendly cabinets. They will have to get over their current stupid allergy to grilles though.
In-room, Buchardt managed 33 Hz, 88 dB sensitivity, and mid-90's SPL in a passive 365 x 180 x 240 mm cabinet, so it can be done. But that's a design for smaller rooms. If you want that in a larger room, you'll need a larger speaker.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wowow. KEF has really gotten aggressive with the engineering. It's like the KEF twin coupled cavity bass reproduction system with opposing phase cancellation steel rod between the woofer but way better.
It's just two woofers combined together and you'll pay a premium for it. You can get the same effect here but more output per dollar:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/G22.html

Honestly I don't really care about force cancelling that much. I'd be fine with two separate woofers, however the designer deems to arrange them. Buchardt, Dutch & Dutch, Kii, etc have good designs.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In-room, Buchardt managed 33 Hz, 88 dB sensitivity, and mid-90's SPL in a passive 365 x 180 x 240 mm cabinet, so it can be done. But that's a design for smaller rooms. If you want that in a larger room, you'll need a larger speaker.
Mind you those 33 Hz is a in-room spec, KEF gives there also for example for their LS50 Meta Typical in-room bass response (-6dB) 26 Hz while its anechoic -6dB point is at 47 Hz.

Top Bottom