• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer for Genelecs

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Which streaming service are you using if I may ask. I learnt it was Spotify from your older posts. Did you decide on comparison with other services like Tidal or Qobuz? If yes, Is there a big difference in SQ to Tidal or Qobuz and Spotify?

Currently I use Apple Music via Apple 4KTV fed into Yamaha AVR 775. Spotify & Apple has largest collection of Indian music compared to Tidal or Qobuz. So in my case, the best will be to go for a combination of both Spotify or Apple Music (Indian) and Tidal or Qobuz (non-Indian). The service will then have to work with new Yamaha WXC-50. I assume the WXC-50 with digital out for Spotify and Tidal or Qobuz will sound much better than the current Apple Music via Apple 4K TV to AVR Yamaha 775 via analogue output. I do not have any CD or FLAC collection though. Or do you see WXC

I use Spotify and asset as a local server for cd quality music stored locally. I tried Tidal a few years ago but became frustrated with the lack of gapless support for MusicCast.

Last edited:

Sprint

Forum Donor
I use Spotify and asset as a local server for cd quality music stores locally. I tried Tidal a few years ago but became frustrated with the lack of gapless support for MusicCast.

Thanks! Is there a big difference in SQ between Tidal and Spotify? Is it audible?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Is there a big difference in SQ between Tidal and Spotify? Is it audible?
I haven’t done an abx test but Spotify sounds fine and the UI is far superior, for stuff that I really like I buy and rip the cds but will likely stop doing this someday.

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
I haven’t done an abx test but Spotify sounds fine and the UI is far superior, for stuff that I really like I buy and rip the cds but will likely stop doing this someday.
Given all the wonderful music available via streaming (in some cases hi res), why do folks continue to buy cds? I own about 2,000 and haven't played a single one in about three years. Also, streaming seems much greener to me.

Reactions: CMB

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given all the wonderful music available via streaming (in some cases hi res), why do folks continue to buy cds? I own about 2,000 and haven't played a single one in about three years. Also, streaming seems much greener to me.
To support the artists, to have a permanent library, to make sure I have an uncompressed file, habit. Just to clear , I rip them then play off a server. Would rather be able to download cc’d quality.

Last edited:

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
To support the artists, to have a permanent library, to make sure I have an uncompressed file, habit. Just to clear , I rip them then play off a server. Would rather be able to download cc’d quality.
I don't know the answer to this, but are artists not supported via streaming? Or do they give it away for free? I am currently listening to Beethoven Piano Sonatas in hi res from Amazon's streaming service, so I'm covered there. For me, not contributing to the production of all that plastic and aluminum is an additional, very important benefit of streaming. YMMV.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know the answer to this, but are artists not supported via streaming? Or do they give it away for free? I am currently listening to Beethoven Piano Sonatas in hi res from Amazon's streaming service, so I'm covered there. For me, not contributing to the production of all that plastic and aluminum is an additional, very important benefit of streaming. YMMV.
The way streaming works is Taylor Swift gets all the money. Spotify will take the total pool of subscriber money and allocate a share based on overall plays. It’s not divided by subscriber.

M234040

I am in a similar situation as the OP.
this Yamaha-unit seems to be the only (reasonable) way to get into active speakers with AES/EBU with a volume control.
Been researching it for a couple of days, and can’t really see any downsides except an uncomfirmed comment somewhere about the unit downsampling everything to 44,1kHz om the Coaxial output.
This would be totally unacceptable, of course.
Anyone able to clear this rumor?

anyways: Streaming VS. CD.
A song would need to stream 10 000 times to give the artist the same money as a CD.
While I understand why someone wouldn’t want to deal with CDs, support your favourite artists through buying something from them!

Tangband

Major Contributor
I have a Yamaha wxc 50 and Genelec 8340 .
Im using the digital out from Yamaha and Im using the volume control in Yamaha in ”pre amp” mode. It works fine, and the sound is slightly better with digital signal in to 8340, compared to analogue from Yamaha wxc50.

Yamaha aparently uses the inbuilt digital volume control in Yamahas wxc50:s dac chip SABRE ess 9006.
http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...dacs/classic-sabre-8-channel-dacs/sabre9006a/
When using digital out in ”pre amp” configuration in Yamaha wxc50 , the sampling frequency output is 48 kHz 24 bit from digital out on ALL material.
Thats also the native sampling frequency at the digital input on Genelec 8340.
I have also tried Revel m106 , but the sound is clearly inferior compared to the Genelec. The bass performance is much better in 8340, all else ( mid, treble ) about equal.

Last edited:

Sprint

Forum Donor
I have a Yamaha wxc 50 and Genelec 8340 .
Im using the digital out from Yamaha and Im using the volume control in Yamaha in ”pre amp” mode. It works fine, and the sound is slightly better with digital signal in to 8340, compared to analogue from Yamaha wxc50.

Yamaha aparently uses the inbuilt digital volume control in Yamahas wxc50:s dac chip SABRE ess 9006.
http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...dacs/classic-sabre-8-channel-dacs/sabre9006a/
When using digital out in ”pre amp” configuration in Yamaha wxc50 , the sampling frequency output is 48 kHz 24 bit from digital out on ALL material.
Thats also the native sampling frequency at the digital input on Genelec 8340.
I have also tried Revel m106 , but the sound is clearly inferior compared to the Genelec. The bass performance is much better in 8340, all else ( mid, treble ) about equal.
@Tangband I have 8340 too and plan to go for Yamaha WXC-50. I want to use digital out from WXC50 to AES/EBU. Are you using coax out or Toslink out. Are you using subs as well? Reason being I am using 2 svs sb-12 nsd subs. Correction will be via minidsp 2x4HD. Question is how can I get get the digital out signal with one passing into Genelec and another into minidsp. The minidsp accepts either toslink or mini usb. Which streaming service are you using, if any? I will be using Tidal or Qobuz.

How is the WXC-50 Genelec combo? How far do you sit?

Tangband

Major Contributor
@Tangband I have 8340 too and plan to go for Yamaha WXC-50. I want to use digital out from WXC50 to AES/EBU. Are you using coax out or Toslink out. Are you using subs as well? Reason being I am using 2 svs sb-12 nsd subs. Correction will be via minidsp 2x4HD. Question is how can I get get the digital out signal with one passing into Genelec and another into minidsp. The minidsp accepts either toslink or mini usb. Which streaming service are you using, if any? I will be using Tidal or Qobuz.

How is the WXC-50 Genelec combo? How far do you sit?
I use mainly FLAC from my NAS. No complaints whatsoever.
I cant comment on TIDAL for the Yamaha, I have not tried it.
spotify connect works flawless.

I use the rca spdif output from the Yamaha to Genelec . I use a 110 Ohm rca-xlr, 3 meters cable from Yamaha to one of the Genelecs . And 6 meter DMX cable xlr from one Genelec to the other. It works flawlessly. I havent tried subs, so cant comment on that.
My listening position is about 3,5 meters from the loudspeakers .

Sprint

Forum Donor
I use mainly FLAC from my NAS. No complaints whatsoever.
I cant comment on TIDAL for the Yamaha, I have not tried it.
spotify connect works flawless.

I use the rca spdif output from the Yamaha to Genelec . I use a 110 Ohm rca-xlr, 3 meters cable from Yamaha to one of the Genelecs . And 6 meter DMX cable xlr from one Genelec to the other. It works flawlessly. I havent tried subs, so cant comment on that.
My listening position is about 3,5 meters from the loudspeakers .

@Tangband: Thanks a lot!

@waynel: Do you have any good suggestion on how can I split the digital signal to send to Genelecs (AES/EBU) and to my miniDSP s (TOSlink or miniusb). I can do SPDIF splitter and send one to Genelecs and then one to a SPDIF toslink convertor like this one. Do you use a sub by any chance.

Do you think will this work without degrade in sound quality?

Tangband

Major Contributor
@Tangband: Thanks a lot!

@waynel: Do you have any good suggestion on how can I split the digital signal to send to Genelecs (AES/EBU) and to my miniDSP s (TOSlink or miniusb). I can do SPDIF splitter and send one to Genelecs and then one to a SPDIF toslink convertor like this one. Do you use a sub by any chance.

Do you think will this work without degrade in sound quality?
The Yamaha wxc50 has infact two digital output contacts , rca spdif and Toslink spdif. I guess that both contacts are active at the same time ( but I can be wrong ) , meaning that both rca spdif and Toslink spdif can change the volume at the same time when having Yamaha wxc50 in pre amp mode.
If thats the case, I havent tried it, - you can use the rca spdif from Yamaha to one of the Genelecs, then a DMX XLR cable between the two Genelecs, and a Toslink cable from the Yamaha Toslink output to minidsp , driving the subs.

Last edited:

Sprint

Forum Donor
The Yamaha wxc50 has infact two digital output contacts , rca spdif and Toslink spdif. I guess that both contacts are active at the same time ( but I can be wrong ) , meaning that both rca spdif and Toslink spdif can change the volume at the same time when having Yamaha wxc50 in pre amp mode.
If thats the case, I havent tried it, - you can use the rca spdif from Yamaha to one of the Genelecs, then a DMX XLR cable between the two Genelecs, and a Toslink cable from the Yamaha Toslink output to minidsp , driving the subs.
@Tangband Thanks! That would be wonderful if both spdif and Toslink outputs the digital signals. I will download and read the manual to see if it works that way. If it does, then my problem is solved.

sydsrig

I just joined this forum as there seems to be a lot of Genelec expertise here. Genelec’s are the foundation for one of two systems that I have.

System 1 - is based on a pair of Kii 3s with an Auralic Aries streamer + CD transport direct into the Kii Control, and a spectral preamp into the Kii’s balanced input (in analogue mode with ADC). The preamp has a phono stage/turntable + FM tuner hanging off it.

System 2 - is based on a pair of Genelec 8350a’s
hooked up to a TV (via a custom cable) from the TV’s variable output headphone jack to the Genelec’s balanced analogue inputs. This allows me to control volume with the TV remote (the Genelecs were first calibrated to the room using the GLM kit from the person I bought them from). This is clearly not the best solution for sound quality, but it got me up and running.

What I’m trying to figure out is what can function as a digital input format switcher/preamp that I can connect directly into the Genelec’s AES/EBU input. I want enough digital input flexibility in to hook up my TV (optical but preferably HDMI ARC), Bluray/CD player (HDMI or coax), cable box (optical), and a streamer/server (usb or spdif - yet to be purchased) that streams to my Kii system (or vice versa).

It would also be nice to control volume with whatever I end getting, but I would be fine getting Genelec’s wireless volume control if need be, which I understand (from Genelec) can be used without a computer running if you are not switching from the digital input to the analogue input.

The WCX-50 mentioned in this thread gets me some of the way there. The miniDSP SHD studio has more digital inputs and an AES output so wondering if that would work. Other units I’ve researched are (1) the Cocktail audio products (x30, x40, x50d) which have AES outputs, and (2) the relatively new Hifi Rose RS150, which may be overkill, but seems to have the most connectivity options (with an onboard DAC that I wouldn’t be using).

Are their any other products that would work which I have not considered? If not, what would be the best option of the products mentioned above?

I didn’t mean for this to be such a lengthy post, but I wanted to give this community enough information that would yield some recommendations.

I look forward to hearing back from everyone!

Rex

it’s not a streamer but might solve at least some problems for those interested in hdmi: audiopraise vanityPRO

Top Bottom