• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure why everyone makes HT bypass so complicated. Simple switcher such as Schiit SYS and you are done, no need to change current music hardware at all.
Could you explain please? I have a Freya+ for 2 channel listening and an Onkyo Rx 810 for HT. I can't figure out how to get the 2 systems to co-exist. Want to use the same Purifi amp and Revel F208 's on both but...

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you explain please? I have a Freya+ for 2 channel listening and an Onkyo Rx 810 for HT. I can't figure out how to get the 2 systems to co-exist. Want to use the same Purifi amp and Revel F208 's on both but...
You could run RCA cables from the Onkyo front pre outs to the Freya, then (probably XLR) cables from Freya to the Purifi, and speaker cables from the Purifi to your speakers. You would then use the Onkyo to get volume right for the surround speakers and the Freya to set the volume for the main speakers for movies, and you could disregard the Onkyo and select the source on the Freya for music... at least it seems like the pre outs on the Onkyo would probably let you set up this way.

If you don't have surround speakers and just use the Onkyo for video and stereo then this would definitely work. The Onkyo would just be a source to the Freya and you could max the volume on the Onkyo and control the volume with the Freya.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could run RCA cables from the Onkyo front pre outs to the Freya, then (probably XLR) cables from Freya to the Purifi, and speaker cables from the Purifi to your speakers. You would then use the Onkyo to get volume right for the surround speakers and the Freya to set the volume for the main speakers for movies, and you could disregard the Onkyo and select the source on the Freya for music... at least it seems like the pre outs on the Onkyo would probably let you set up this way.

If you don't have surround speakers and just use the Onkyo for video and stereo then this would definitely work. The Onkyo would just be a source to the Freya and you could max the volume on the Onkyo and control the volume with the Freya.
That might work. I have an Atmos set up for tv and movie watching. So I'd have to manually match the mains to the center and 4 surrounds manually using the Freya volume control when watching TV or movies?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That might work. I have an Atmos set up for tv and movie watching. So I'd have to manually match the mains to the center and 4 surrounds manually using the Freya volume control when watching TV or movies?
It would probably work with the Freya in passive mode and at max volume, but it depends how the attenuation in the Denon works. You might try that first. Then you could use the Denon to control the volume of everything while using the surrounds.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This actually worked but had to use the tube buffer- couldn't hear the L/R speakers using the SS buffer. Have the Freya volume at max to somewhat equalize the volume between the AVR powered speakers and the 2 from the Freya. But damn does it sound good! Thanks for the suggestion.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally got all the pieces in place but oh, what do do with all those thick balanced cables?

Attachments

• 16108169862515451218181509201510.jpg
    16108169862515451218181509201510.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 216

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now it makes sense...
I have too many DAPs to charge. My philosophy is: "it ain't how it looks- its how it sounds"

Wire and cable management aren't in my skill set.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was joking and was referencing the redneck comment.
I know- I'm laughing at my inability to hide the 10 million wires in my 3 systems. You can tell I'm a redneck at heart when looking at my industrial wire shelves. Plaster walls are a bitch.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The clicks are very loud.

In terms of the modes, Freya+ has the passive mode which measures extremely well obviously, and this is the same as the Freya s passive. Then they both have a ~unity gain buffer setting, both very good with the S being slightly better. For the third mode, the + has the tubes, which are really not very tube sounding, and the S has a gain mode that didn't measure very well compared to no gain.

You can replace the volume knob, I found that this one improved the look of the unit and had a better hand feel and a bit larger.

Uxcell a15020500ux0472 Aluminium... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0147XGEFA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
My, your knob is big!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is at least the second time you've decided this was the most clever response... Might want to work on that 'realistic expectations' thing...and your repertoire of insults.

I understand anger management can really help...

I hope Schiit can survive without you. I think I'll place my order just because of how impressed I've been with how @T.M.Noble has handled himself.

I pray customers like you pass right by my business...

You know, I spent most of my career in sales. This reminds me that there are some customers that you just don't want.

Top Bottom