• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Radiance

Noodles

So, i decided to exchange my Denon D9200 for a Focal Radiance.
image_large2.jpg

I know it's not a "fair" deal but the D9200 did not seal properly (they are sorta semi-open due to their pad retention design) and i wanted something more isolating.

In any case i did not expect what i got in return.
These are not your typical Focal signature sound. They are not super energetic like the Clear, they don't have thumping bass and they do not clamp like a pair of overzealous HD600's
Rather they are very relaxing - clamp is actually quite fine (probably due to the amazing pads). Sound wise i find them absolutely sublime - midrange focus (sorta) with pretty fast and clean bass and slightly rolled off highs.
Any amp can drive them no issue and i find that my A90 balanced sound superb with them as it gives them a bit more separation.
They are honestly a great listen.

Technical side - it tried to torture them with some thumping sub bass songs to see if the drivers give - they did not. These sound similar to the Elegia from Focal but they tuned them a bit differently. There do not appear to be any of pitfalls in the FR present from the Elegia here and the pads seal so much better.
Can't measure them as i got no equipment to do so, but hopefully someone will and eventually post a full review as i think these are worth a consideration for someone that is looking for a similar to HD600 sound but with better resolution and detail in the lacking categories of the aforementioned.

Lpd2

Wow thats a deluxe headphone. What are the pad material? I love the Elegia despite how heavy it is, that durability is nice to have. Also don't have any issue with my plush down pillows pushing it up at my ears. Important enough design issue for premium headphones really. The Elegia have a pretty large bass port in the logo. Do these have a port or vent anywhere?

OP
Noodles

Noodles

Pads area very soft leather with fast rebound foam. No ports or vents on them, they don't leak out at all.
It's a very nice headphone and the sound is quite pleasing, value wise ... same as all high price headphones :)

roz

I was thinking about getting these headphones too! Went D9200 instead due to the lower price(still waiting for them in the mail). Considering the lack of seal, how did the Radiance compare with the D9200?

OP
Noodles

Noodles

They are not as detailed and not as open sounding. Bass is also a little less.
Where with the 9200 you had just ... more of everything, the radiance is a bit more subtle. It still is a very detailed sound, it still has like 90% of the bass the 9200 has but it is not in your face.
To my ears - between the two the 9200 is technically the better headphone. But i wanted a better sealing one + something i could listen to when i am very tired.
The Radiance is that.

Zensō

Major Contributor
So, i decided to exchange my Denon D9200 for a Focal Radiance.
View attachment 104819
I know it's not a "fair" deal but the D9200 did not seal properly (they are sorta semi-open due to their pad retention design) and i wanted something more isolating.

In any case i did not expect what i got in return.
These are not your typical Focal signature sound. They are not super energetic like the Clear, they don't have thumping bass and they do not clamp like a pair of overzealous HD600's
Rather they are very relaxing - clamp is actually quite fine (probably due to the amazing pads). Sound wise i find them absolutely sublime - midrange focus (sorta) with pretty fast and clean bass and slightly rolled off highs.
Any amp can drive them no issue and i find that my A90 balanced sound superb with them as it gives them a bit more separation.
They are honestly a great listen.

Technical side - it tried to torture them with some thumping sub bass songs to see if the drivers give - they did not. These sound similar to the Elegia from Focal but they tuned them a bit differently. There do not appear to be any of pitfalls in the FR present from the Elegia here and the pads seal so much better.
Can't measure them as i got no equipment to do so, but hopefully someone will and eventually post a full review as i think these are worth a consideration for someone that is looking for a similar to HD600 sound but with better resolution and detail in the lacking categories of the aforementioned.
I have the Elegia and I’m curious how these compare. Have you tried them side by side? I’ve read the reviews, but have yet to hear from anyone who had both on hand at the same time.

OP
Noodles

Noodles

I don't have one right now, but from memory the elegia has a bit more muted highs and a dip in the midbass.
Of course the materials are quite Abit differrent and I think the leather pads contribute to the overall deeper bass that the radiance has.
If you have the elegia don't bother - just get stellia/radiance pads for the better bass extension.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I don't have one right now, but from memory the elegia has a bit more muted highs and a dip in the midbass.
Of course the materials are quite Abit differrent and I think the leather pads contribute to the overall deeper bass that the radiance has.
If you have the elegia don't bother - just get stellia/radiance pads for the better bass extension.
Thanks for the info. I wasn’t initially that happy with the Elegia, but I’m now running it through Roon PEQ using Oratory1990’s Harman Target settings which solved the FR issues to my satisfaction.

stren

Forum Donor
Speaking of pads - anyone know a good place to get focal pads from in the US - i see BH has the stellia pads as special order for $160. Also any opinions on dekoni pads vs the stellia pads?

OP
Noodles

Noodles

Stellia pads for 160 is quite good. If you go for dekoni get either leather or hybrid.

Lpd2

The synthetic suede from Dekoni is quite good, but not an ultra premium feel, just comfort. Temperature and pressure well managed. It is the reverse side of their protein leather, I think. Less firm foam with slower rebound.

dougq

I'm wondering if we'll ever get a review of these here. I took a shot on a good deal with these. I'm coming from the DCA Stealth which sounded clear and pretty open but the tonality to my ears were off. These are basically that but sound correct to me. Above average build (I still think the DCA Stealth is the best built headphone period). I'm honestly kind of blown away by them. Other Focal's I've had fit issues but with these my ears do not touch and have good space inside without irritation.

I looked up the measurements and they actually follow closely to the stealth's but have a bit more bass overall.

Basically if you can grab these for under 1k/900 do it. Incredibly detailed, spacious clear sounding but with good rumble headphones.

someguyontheinternet

FR measurement by Crinacle:
graph.png

Notable is the hump around 90Hz. Based on distortion measurements of other Focal headphones I'm not too sure about them for loud listening, but for low to moderate volume they should be nice.

Top Bottom