• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When the pot shaft is connected to the groundplanes (top and bottom side it seems) and the volpotnut has a ring on it that pierces the anodized part at least the front panel is grounded.
It would be easy to create a good connection from the frontpanel to the enclosure as well. The frontplate is glued on it later.

In this case the enclosure and shaft are connected to the ground.
Personally, when the switches are merely soldered onto pads for sturdyness I would also connect those to the groundplane.
You don't want any sparks on the inside of the enclosure. It should take the lowest resistance path which is the groundplane.

With these measures and the correct DC protection the amp is safe as hell (safer than most others !)

highpurityusbcable

I only sent them current L30 with serial number. I did not destroy them yet.
I also sent a photo of a serial number sticker and took some time to think a bit more. I want a replacement but I didn't understand what changes were done exactly since the esd problem still remains even though I didn't experience any discharges with my unit.

Dotcha

I also sent a photo of a serial number sticker and took some time to think a bit more. I want a replacement but I didn't understand what changes were done exactly since the esd problem still remains even though I didn't experience any discharges with my unit.
The major difference is that, after 2012 batch even when ESD problem happens, it wouldn't destroy my headphone with it.
That's enough for me since I don't get much static in my region - I just wanted to be sure that my headphones are safe.
Of course for the most of people, modification on DC safety is only the half of the problem solved.
But L30 is a formidable player with affordable price range, and they will not be on shortage unlike most of headphones...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This is much more helpful and palatable than your previous statement, John. Thanks. I will wait to hear from you.

IMHO, "If you have any issue about replacement, (please) ask your seller" sounds much, much better than .. "If you have any issue about replacement just ask your seller. It is that simple".

I know I made the choice when importing, but imagine I have to shell out 100$ or more for a replacement, and read this. It is plain rude, dude (you or others can correct me if I am overreacting).
So have you contact your seller yet? I understand that it can be a ****** situation. And I also know you have been very neutral and patient since the issue happened. I really appreciated it.
But please don't expect getting any special treatment if you ask out publicly. It took days to finalize the replacement program. You have to work very closely with partners/resellers. When it's official it's a rule, it's a new policy. Everyone should follow. You can't set a model on public but you can't do it for others. So please understand.

Dotcha

I really appreciate ASR members and John being so gentle and to quote, 'neutral and patient' here.
If I was the one who have experienced the situation, I believe I might have made this thread more stressful yet less productive.
I could get my L30 replaced because of your patience. I want to say thank you for that to everyone.

highpurityusbcable

I am being so dumb that I genuinely don't know what to do. To replace a perfectly working amp (who knows if I got some golden unit) and to play a lottery with a new one. Or just keep it until it breaks and then replace it, while knowing the risks. In any case, I am glad there are solutions.

Reactions: PSO

raif71

Major Contributor
I apologize from my end if I have added to your stress during these testing times, John. I guess my mistake was sharing my anxiety (pros and cons of returns) openly. The last person I should have ranted to, was you :). My bad. I will wait till the ESD fix is done, like you indicated in message 3010.

>> You can't set a model on public but you can't do it for others. So please understand. >>
Fair enough. I agree here too.

>> .. very neutral and patient ..>>
Only because you, L30, and Topping deserve it. Please note that I did no favor to you here, and I appreciate you and team for all the joy I have got through an affordable amp (there were a few heartaches too for some ppl, but that's been discussed, and fixed for good now).

Also, users can get touchy (like I did), but it is difficult to imagine what you (or Topping) must be going through. You are all human after all.
I really appreciate ASR members and John being so gentle and to quote, 'neutral and patient' here.
If I was the one who have experienced the situation, I believe I might have made this thread more stressful yet less productive.
I could get my L30 replaced because of your patience. I want to say thank you for that to everyone.

There has to be one or two that does the pressuring but not all. :)

MoveJoe

I would like to keep my L30 and not replace it.

Besides grounding myself before touching it, is there something else I can do to reduce the chance of the L30 blowing up?

Currently my L30 is stacked on a E30 DAC and is also connected to a speaker amp. Both the E30 and speaker amp should be grounded (?) and are touching the housing of the L30. Will that help to reduce the chance of an ESD effecting the L30?

escalibur

Thanks! My replacement from Shenzhenaudio is on its way. The customer service representative is very responsive.
Same here. They asked me for a photo and with a few messages back and forth, it seems that I'm receiving a replacement. Amazing customer service so far.

I just hope that they don't ship older than 2012... revision. :)

NgtFlyer

I have a 2005 L30 connected via short cables to my E30. They are plugged into the same power strip using supplied power supplies. My main audio feed is via TOSlink but I also have it connected to a second source computer via USB. I suppose to be safe, I should disconnect the USB input since I almost never use that source, and just wait for the ESD fixed version to be released. With just a TOSlink connection, I presume I'm pretty safe.

highpurityusbcable

Same here. They asked me for a photo and with a few messages back and forth, it seems that I'm receiving a replacement. Amazing customer service so far.

I just hope that they don't ship older than 2012... revision. :)
Replacement without the need of destroying your L30 and attaching photos of it? Or you will send it back via amazon service?

Giangi71

@JohnYang1997 so my situation is 2rca 3.5mm to dragonfly Cobalt used only as a dac and connected to a phone as a source and then the headset connected to L30. What could I risk with 2012sn in that situation? Thanks

escalibur

Replacement without the need of destroying your L30 and attaching photos of it? Or you will send it back via amazon service?
They never commented on my old L30. We shall see.

highpurityusbcable

They never commented on my old L30. We shall see.
In fact, I already talked this over on aliex and they didn't ask for anything either. Just instantly agreed to send a new one. I am a bit overwhelmed by this top tier service if there will be no complications further.
I remember when I got a ****** panel on a new monitor in my city they were torturing me for a month before replacing it.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Top Bottom