• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement and Review of Schiit BiFrost Multibit DAC

Cosmik

Major Contributor
In the review linked to, does the person making the comments have a sense of humour?
1kHz @ -90dBFS (remember this is a 16 bit DAC - amazing fidelity and excellent channel matching at this level)
7907584_thumb.png
Compare to this undithered sine wave at -90dB from a decent CD player (in 1992!):
dighar9.jpg

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Duh I don't know. Maybe because the first word in the name of this place is AUDIO?

What if all his measurements are wrong. Wouldn't someone of such high moral character as Ammir want to set the record straight.

Can I just clarify something here. Are you saying Amirs measurements are incorrect? If so can you please technically explain what you think is wrong with them?

Also can I ask if you understand the measurements shown in your link? To my eyes they look dreadful. Btw that measurement doesnt show 93db snr.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I know it’s scary but you can come out now..
Nooo that is actually you. lol Came from one of the paparazzi chasing you.

Btw: the dac does not have 10 bit resolution. And your fearless leaders measurements are really way off. I know when he gets it fixed he will come back with the right stuff.

I think pictures are helpful for some of the group.

220px-Boris_natasha_fearless.jpg

1200x630bb.jpg

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I just clarify something here. Are you saying Amirs measurements are incorrect? If so can you pkease explain what you think is wrong with them?

Also can I ask if you understand the meadurements shown in your link? To my eyes they look dreadful.

Nice thing about the internet is someone can post their own counter-measurements.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Can I just clarify something here. Are you saying Amirs measurements are incorrect? If so can you please technically explain what you think is wrong with them?

Also can I ask if you understand the measurements shown in your link? To my eyes they look dreadful.
Yes the meadurements look dreadful to meeee toooo.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
In the review linked to, does the person making the comments have a sense of humour?

Compare to this undithered sine wave at -90dB from a decent CD player (in 1992!):
dighar9.jpg
Totally not applicable.

Candlesticks

Can we not have this thread turn into a !^#@show. All I care about and all anyone else should care about is accurate measurements of any product by any brand regardless of your personal opinion on them. I hate Audioquest but if a product they made was shown to be good then I'd say it was good.

I don't care who is wrong or right. It's possible that both are right and measuring different things. I don't know and I'm not qualified to interpret that but I'm going to bring up any other measurements made by other people of the same product and if there is a difference whether it is worth investigating why.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Can we not have this thread turn into a !^#@show. All I care about and all anyone else should is accurate measurements of any product by any brand regardless of your personal opinion. I don't care who is wrong or right and it's possible that both are right and measuring different things. I don't know and I'm not qualified to interpret that.
The measurements are posted with the intent they be scrutinised but what tends to happen is those who object don’t challenge the data with data of their own.. you get posturing and grandstanding but seldom anything useful .

We want scrutiny, like peer review it’s a necessary part of our process and will lead to the best data being validated and mistakes being rectified.

Candlesticks

The measurements are posted with the intent they be scrutinised but what tends to happen is those who object don’t challenge the data with data of their own..

We want scrutiny, like peer review it’s a necessary part of our process and will lead to the best data being validated and mistakes being rectified.

If all they've got are their own or others subjective testimonies for how something sounds then remove their comments from the thread. Otherwise, this thread is going to become cluttered with noise that isn't relevant to the measurements made here or by others.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Btw: the dac does not have 10 bit resolution. And your fearless leaders measurements are really way off. I know when he gets it fixed he will come back with the right stuff.

Even if you dont believe Amirs measurements shouldnt the grossly distorted -90db sine wave shown in the other set give you a clue to how poor the dacs linearity is?

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Totally not applicable.
Oh, OK then. Sorry. I just saw the words "1kHz sine wave at -90dBFS" for both of them and thought they were supposed to be showing the same thing. Silly me. You're right. They don't look anything like each other.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
If all they've got are their own or others subjective testimonies for how something sounds then remove their comments from the thread. Otherwise, this thread is going to become cluttered with noise that isn't relevant to the measurements made here or by others.
You are of course correct, but cant we at least poke fun at the clueless fanboy for just a few minutes? :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Ideally yes I agree but Iv tried that and you end up being accused of censorship aimed at protecting “faulty” measurements and saving face and that hurts the validity of what we are doing .

We’ve had all this before, some times it takes months to sort out but generally amir turns out to be correct but if he’s made a mistake he’s the first one to hold his hands up as all we are intrested in is valid measurement. There’s no ego to bruise.

I know it’s nuts but it’s what happens so I try and leave it all in now. It’s messy I agree, I also aim to keep things lighthearted so our members can have a joke while things get validated .

I apologise if the resulting content is not what you’d ideally want.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
That's correct censorship helps to find the truth.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

mindbomb

iirc, the atomic bob measurements show the main difference between the bifrost multibit and the modi multibit is that the bifrost has better linearity. So there is a product with even less than 10 bits of linearity being sold for $250.

That being said, linearity I don't think is that important for music listening because music seems to be heavily compressed anyway. The much more distressing thing for me is the jitter and distortion, which look high enough to cause audible artifacts.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Ideally yes I agree but Iv tried that and you end up being accused of censorship aimed at protecting “faulty” measurements and saving face and that hurts the validity of what we are doing .

We’ve had all this before, some times it takes months to sort out but generally amir turns out to be correct but if he’s made a mistake he’s the first one to hold his hands up as all we are intrested in is valid measurement. There’s no ego to bruise.

I know it’s nuts but it’s what happens so I try and leave it all in now. It’s messy I agree, I try and keep things lighthearted so our members can have a joke while things get validated .

I apologise if the resulting content is not what you’d ideally want.
Maybe instead of saying you would never listen to such a DAC, you actually did listen and you did not hear anything that would lead you to believe it really measures that badly? Do you trust your ears at all? 10bit rez? such bad distortion? You think you might hear something? Maybeeee?

Top Bottom