• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inexpensive DAC with multiple unbalanced outs?

Lorenzo74

Just a followup:
After an evening listing to my current setup:
Spotify > Google Chromecast Audio > DAC (via Toslink) > 2 x RCA Y splitters > Stereo AMP + 2 x Subs
It seems to be as good as it would as it would be: Spotify Connect > 2.2 Stereo Receiver > 2 x Subs
Infact, probably better! As the amp has more 4x power into 4ohms and DAC is probably a better implementation than what's in the receiver.Either way - Y splitters are just fine (in my usecase). No need for a fancy multi-out DAC.

if you‘re happy, good for you.
just Wonder what kind of bass guitar will come out from the combfiltering you create without xovers between sub and mains.
I’m on the other side, minidsp ddrc24, dirac live, 48db Xovers to sub, room treatments,... and I’m still looking for improvements.
best

OP
eddantes

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well - that is a legit point. I've found that sub xover setting was always unsatisfactory - with me creating a dip or a peak depending on the setting (detected by ear, I've no measurement device). I've been looking at the Parasound Pre's (for example) with their high pass xover settings... but that will be for another day.

At the moment my bookshelves are ~3-4db down at 50hz so I just set my subs at 50-45 and call it a day... But room modes and interactions with the speakers do play havoc, as you mention. I am putting aside $ for an SHD to try and get to a resolution around this problem; however in the abscence of an SHD, the above is good nuff with what I have.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Well - that is a legit point. I've found that sub xover setting was always unsatisfactory - with me creating a dip or a peak depending on the setting (detected by ear, I've no measurement device). I've been looking at the Parasound Pre's (for example) with their high pass xover settings... but that will be for another day.

At the moment my bookshelves are ~3-4db down at 50hz so I just set my subs at 50-45 and call it a day... But room modes and interactions with the speakers do play havoc, as you mention. I am putting aside $ for an SHD to try and get to a resolution around this problem; however in the abscence of an SHD, the above is good nuff with what I have.
You can buy rca high pass filters or build it or have it built for pennies the most simple filter is just a cap.I usually let the subwoofer till 80hz and cross the speakers above that.

OP
eddantes

eddantes

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Interesting - so this can be added to the input of the amp driving the bookshelves, nice! I think I'd need a measurement device in the house to be able to determine if the effect was as desired... Afterall, this is ASR and we're trying to be objective :)

TY for the suggestion!
If you have a 5.1 soundcard connect the sub to the 0.1 and try to filter the high pass filter on the bookshelves to find the right frequency. Some soundcards allow for such adjustment. Then you can decide how to filter them.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Out of curiousity I used two RCA Y cables to split the output from DAC to subs and amp and it seems to work just fine. Not that I did any close listening, but I can't really hear anything untoward. Does anyone know what the objective effect is of using Y cables (doubling the output connections) on a DAC or the receiving AMPs?
This was going to be my recommendation. You can split an output without issues, just don't want to combine into an input (i.e. passive summing with an adapter).

OP
eddantes

eddantes

Do you have amps already that you want to keep?

Or is an Amp with DSP and XO a good option too?

Parasound Hint 6 was an option I considered, but I think I'd rather just keep things discrete. So I'm saving up for an SHD and that will get me all the EQ, X-over, and room correction I could possibly want, not to mention a streaming end point and volume control. This way I can still amp roll once the upgrade bug hits :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Parasound Hint 6 was an option I considered, but I think I'd rather just keep things discrete. So I'm saving up for an SHD and that will get me all the EQ, X-over, and room correction I could possibly want, not to mention a streaming end point and volume control. This way I can still amp roll once the upgrade bug hits :)

You would save up an insane amount of money by buying the Hypex Fusion plate amps.

https://www.hypex.nl/plate-amplifiers/

You would lose Dirac and streaming but they’re a very attractive (and well measuring) all-in-one box.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. I am aware of MiniDSP offerings and in particular I was looking at https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-24 which would achieve my 2.2 objective and add Dirac, but unfortunately there's no volume control, unlike the SMSL or Sabaj. To get volume control I think we need to look the SHD line and that raise the price to 2x (or more) of the aforementioned products.
You can add their remote, link the software for it on your pc, and see the volume level right on you pc. I do that all the time with my 2 x 4 HD.

Top Bottom