• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your in-room measurements?

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I have hesitated to show my two systems' responses, because it is so easy to get good or bad looking responses of same system etc., like we've seen in this thread. But here we go! I use minidsp mainly to set xo slopes and eq individual driver's response. Room eq in modal region easily leads to unnatural sound IMO, and I don't sit in the spot much... I change settings every now and then, but positioning is what it is, not optimal! Eg. my butt gets much smoother response in HT than my ears! RT in living room is 0.4-5 and in the small HT only 0.2, but response variation is much higher in HT. And yes, two systems/rooms sound totally different but I like both of them!
ainogneo83 conf3+ 200220 spot.jpg
ht awppslmini LR earbutt 500ms 112.jpg

AINOgradient is diy 4-way dipole main speakers, supported by small 2-ways for 5.0 listening to movies and TV. Minidsp 4x10HD
HT has 2-way SEAS coxials as LCR, Amphion He2 for surround and a diy 2x15" PPSL subwoofer. Minidsp 2x4HD for stereo 2.1, but AVR for 5.1 (not measured). I highpass sharply below 20Hz because my phono preamp doesn't have hp filter.

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Below is the measurement (var smoothing) of my setup. It's a 5.1 system, but the measurement is 2.1 (front left/right + sub) at listening position. No EQ and room treatment. How does it look to you guys? Would EQ (e.g. Audyssey), room treatment, dual-sub etc. help much?

View attachment 103737

Dual subs can help. I just installed two Salk sound/ Rytmik E22 subwoofers.
Here are the sub measurements playing together. The blue is the default phase and the red is adjusting the phase between the two. I was able to remove the dips at 50Hz and 80Hz. This caused larger peak at 40Hz that can be addressed with EQ. I have no placement flexibility but dual subs gives you options.

Dual E22s with and without phase.jpg

It is important to note that the EQ is now removing a peak so there is no negative power impact. In my case, two subwoofers are clearly better than one.
Thus far, I use the subs for the .1 LFE channel that can go up to 120 Hz and can be localized.
With dual subs, the localization is removed and the system sounds much better. Also, I have response down to 15Hz :D

- Rich

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are the measurements from my game room system that is:

Oppo UDP-205 (used as a DAC)
RPI 3 running DietPi (just for fun)
Benchmark AHB2
Revel M128Bes
Martin Logan Grotto i (10 inch servo sub)

The ceilings are 10 suspended and the Revels had to be wall mounted (the right speaker is near a corner). There were few options.

Game-OfficeSystem.jpg

Here are the measurements with and without the subwoofer after gain, phase and level adjustments on the sub.
126Be and Grotto-I sub.jpg

REW was used to compute filters to address room modes only, below 300 Hz.

Filters:
126Be Filters.jpg

Predicted Response:
126Be Filters for Roon.jpg

I think it sounds better, a bit more fuller.
I don't know how the measure the response after applying the Roon filters since that is different software.

- Rich

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here are the sub measurements playing together. The blue is the default phase and the red is adjusting the phase between the two. I was able to remove the dips at 50Hz and 80Hz. This caused larger peak at 40Hz that can be addressed with EQ. I have no placement flexibility but dual subs gives you options.

View attachment 103878
It is important to note that the EQ is now removing a peak so there is no negative power impact. In my case, two subwoofers are clearly better than one.
Thus far, I use the subs for the .1 LFE channel that can go up to 120 Hz and can be localized.
With dual subs, the localization is removed and the system sounds much better. Also, I have response down to 15Hz :D

- Rich
Nice job on that response Rich!

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if that will post. Half a dozen in room measurements messing around with my Genelec 8260 monitors on height adjustable stools.

Last edited:

Weeb Labs

Quite proud of my in-room measurements. This is with my house curve via Dirac Live. Without the house curve, it is essentially perfectly flat to 15Hz. 1/24 smoothing.

1609971850879.png

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
After blocking the ports of my monitors (4.1 mch speakers and sub is now effectively a 'sealed' system), I needed to redo my room EQ & delays -- yet again -- by now I have lost count. :eek:

This is going to be a reasonably "complete" visual documentation so apologies in advance for taking up so much space. ;)

SETUP: main monitors (Sceptre S8 at 2m distance) cross their axes in front of the center main listening position which means one is listening ~ bet. 15-20 degrees off-axis. Surrounds (JBL LSR305 at 1.45m distance) are located at the side and rear corners along the back wall.

First order of business was to re-adjust delays.

1610119586636.png

Acoustic timing reference is required to use the alignment tool.

I only needed to cut 2ms from total delay already allocated to the fronts and surrounds. There's no need to change my previous sub and speaker EQ (above 1kHz EQ).

BEFORE AND AFTER CORRECTION PER MONITOR

1610152206935.png

1610152212197.png

I've changed my tactic per recommendations given by others to use 90 deg orientation. Left & Right channels are matched to each other first; and then to an arbitrary target curve thereafter. Due to the room and placement, minor 'fine' adjustments were made to the response above 1kHz for better matching.

I was too lazy to modify the EQ for the surrounds, so I left it alone as it was...

Not quite sure if I'll ultimately keep it, but I previously decided to leave that sharp peak at ~72Hz for the benefit of the summed bass.

1610152251399.png

1610152255667.png

FINAL MMM RESULT

1610152281411.png

PER CHANNEL vs SUM

1610152306645.png

1610152311367.png

Notice that summing two channels during MMM boosts the bass by about ~2dB.

LFE + FRONTS / SURROUNDS
(just to check if any suckout develops from phase xo issues)

1610151133744.png

LFE 10dB + 5dB from the normal sub bass boost.

It looks like the ideal movie watching volume is around 80-5dB -- better 80dB or below to not over-tax the poor single sub I have running -- which also accounts for headroom required for transient peaks.

DISTORTION MEASURED AT MLP

1610121262295.png

SWEPT SINE

1610121523944.png

1610121539200.png

1610121549603.png

If your phase still looks "off" despite proper positioning and use of acoustic time reference, try applying some smoothing and/or frequency dependent windowing, as well as auto/manual time offset adjustments:

1610123696512.png

Many things can inlfuence the measured phase: directivity (narrow/wide) and angling of monitors, reflections and the presence or lack of acoustic treatment, speaker xo & driver arrangment etc.

GROUP DELAY & WAVELET SPECTROGRAPHS

1610121606921.png

1610121665166.png

High frequencies between fronts & surrounds were aligned based on measurements, as well as further refined by listening and manually adjusting delays until the "surround" upmixed effect sounded "right" to me.

OVERLAYED FOR COMPARISON
1610121958657.png

1610121965011.png

IMPULSE & STEP
1610121938459.png

1610122001621.png

1610122013517.png

1610122029459.png

1610151173086.png

RT60

1610122158581.png

DECAY

1610122189993.png

WATERFALL

1610122209272.png

CLARITY

1610122245787.png

*As it is not absolutely needed, I only used simple PEQs in this exercise. No convolution or FIR filters.

Last edited:

Gerbrand

Hello all,

I have been lurking here for about 6 months, but I must say this place has felt like coming home. Being a physicist, I really like the objective approach here on this forum.

Anyway, to my measurement. Room is a 5.5 x 3.5 m home cinema with treatments (reflection points, corner traps). Reverb time is around 0.3 s. Recently I acquired a set of Elac DBR 62. I intend to use to them as rear surrounds, but I also measured them at the front position in order to compare them to my B&W 9NT, which I have had for around 15 years. Corrected data is with a single subwoofer (BK monolith).

All data is for a single speaker (left) measured at the MLP (around 2.3 m from the speaker). Below is the uncorrected in room comparison of both speakers without subwoofer.

elacBWuncalibrated.png

As you can see the B&W, being 3 way towers, have some more bass extension. Also subjectively they definitely have some more "oompff". Apart from that the ELACs look flatter in the midrange, but perform worse in the 100-200 Hz range where I have some room issues.

After room correction (Audyssey using the app on my Denon AVR4700h) and with a sub (x-ed at 60 Hz) the speakers look more similar.
elacBWcalibrated.png

Looking at this data, I should probably add a 2nd sub to combat the room issues. Subjectively the B&W sound better after calibration than the ELACs, but it is close, which is interesting since the B&W cost around 2500 euro/pair new 20 years ago.

Looking forward to some feedback.

Gerbrand

Attachments

• elacBWuncalibrated.png
    elacBWuncalibrated.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 79

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Looking at this data, I should probably add a 2nd sub to combat the room issues.

Possibly -- and if you want to add more headroom and/or extension in the bass. Though the response measured with your sub already looks decently improved. I imagine multiple subs is more needed if you really want to even out the coverage to a larger area/multiple seating areas, sure. For that you'd have to look at the response measurements of more than one seating/listening position.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After blocking the ports of my monitors (4.1 mch speakers and sub is now effectively a 'sealed' system), I needed to redo my room EQ & delays -- yet again -- by now I have lost count. :eek:

This is going to be a reasonably "complete" visual documentation so apologies in advance for taking up so much space. ;)

SETUP: main monitors (Sceptre S8 at 2m distance) cross their axes in front of the center main listening position which means one is listening ~ bet. 15-20 degrees off-axis. Surrounds (JBL LSR305 at 1.45m distance) are located at the side and rear corners along the back wall.

First order of business was to re-adjust delays.

View attachment 104557
Acoustic timing reference is required to use the alignment tool.

I only needed to cut 2ms from total delay already allocated to the fronts and surrounds. There's no need to change my previous sub and speaker EQ (above 1kHz EQ).

BEFORE AND AFTER CORRECTION PER MONITOR

View attachment 104666

View attachment 104667

I've changed my tactic per recommendations given by others to use 90 deg orientation. Left & Right channels are matched to each other first; and then to an arbitrary target curve thereafter. Due to the room and placement, minor 'fine' adjustments were made to the response above 1kHz for better matching.

I was too lazy to modify the EQ for the surrounds, so I left it alone as it was...

Not quite sure if I'll ultimately keep it, but I previously decided to leave that sharp peak at ~72Hz for the benefit of the summed bass.

View attachment 104668

View attachment 104669

FINAL MMM RESULT

View attachment 104670

PER CHANNEL vs SUM

View attachment 104671

View attachment 104672

Notice that summing two channels during MMM boosts the bass by about ~2dB.

LFE + FRONTS / SURROUNDS
(just to check if any suckout develops from phase xo issues)

View attachment 104664
LFE 10dB + 5dB from the normal sub bass boost.

It looks like the ideal movie watching volume is around 80-5dB -- better 80dB or below to not over-tax the poor single sub I have running -- which also accounts for headroom required for transient peaks.

DISTORTION MEASURED AT MLP

View attachment 104569

SWEPT SINE

View attachment 104572

View attachment 104573

View attachment 104574

If your phase still looks "off" despite proper positioning and use of acoustic time reference, try applying some smoothing and/or frequency dependent windowing, as well as auto/manual time offset adjustments:

View attachment 104589

Many things can inlfuence the measured phase: directivity (narrow/wide) and angling of monitors, reflections and the presence or lack of acoustic treatment, speaker xo & driver arrangment etc.

GROUP DELAY & WAVELET SPECTROGRAPHS

View attachment 104575

View attachment 104576

High frequencies between fronts & surrounds were aligned based on measurements, as well as further refined by listening and manually adjusting delays until the "surround" upmixed effect sounded "right" to me.

OVERLAYED FOR COMPARISON
View attachment 104578

View attachment 104579

IMPULSE & STEP
View attachment 104577

View attachment 104580

View attachment 104581

View attachment 104582

View attachment 104665

RT60

View attachment 104584

DECAY

View attachment 104585

WATERFALL

View attachment 104586

CLARITY

View attachment 104587

*As it is not absolutely needed, I only used simple PEQs in this exercise. No convolution or FIR filters.

Really impressive for just having one subwoofer. What subwoofer is it?

Weeb Labs

Wow! I bet that sounds great. What speakers and subs are you using? Any room treatment?
It sounds absolutely wonderful! I am using a pair of XTZ 99.25 LCRs fed by NC400s, two XTZ 12.17 Edge subwoofers and a DDRC-24 (SPDIF modified to an SU-8) for Dirac Live. The HT/studio room is treated with 14 of my own 4" rockwool acoustic panels.

aglx

Hi all!
First post here.
I've noticed that Linkwitz speakers are known here in ASR, so I thought I should share some measurements of my LX521.4, to whom might be interested.
6.3 x 4.1 x 2.7m living room, with quite some treatment and Dirac Live 3:

1.jpg

RT60:
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

And an alternative with a little more slope between 1-10kHz:
5.jpg

Quite happy with the overall sound, for a 2-channel system in a living room.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I've noticed that Linkwitz speakers are known here in ASR, so I thought I should share some measurements of my LX521.4, to whom might be interested.

For waterfall plots, it's more informative when the time range is limited to 300-450ms as the main reason for looking at this is to see if there's any ringing in the bass (which is not necessarily bad).

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

View attachment 103878

- Rich

Very nice response, Rich!!

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 103878

- Rich

I think I was running the RMC-1 using Right/Left subs with independent adjustments and also the E22 PEQ.
One side effect, was greatly reduced gain.

John Mulcahy kindly worked with Emotiva to update REW to directly support outputting filters to the RMC-1.
I measured the dual E22s and the greatest output was obtained in phase.
For this run, I set both E22s PEQ off and delay at 0.
This measurement was used in REW to compute filters and import the subwoofers applying them as one to the center sub, Y-splitting the output to each sub.

Here are the REW results and filters generated.
REW Filter Generation For CenterSubMono.png

Here are the measurements after applying the filter to the center subwoofer.
REW PEQ and Manul EQ at 40 and 56hz.jpg

The REW filters applied are in red and are track very well with the REW predictions.
The green adds 6dB of gain at 47Hz and a small cut at 56Hz.
There is clearly a dip at 47Hz that responds to additional gain.

This a bit better than the previous run and maximizes the gain.

- Rich

flipflop

Making a new post since I'm no longer able to edit my original post.

Apparently my 40" TV was causing more acoustical interference than I had anticipated. It was placed between my speakers and the front wall, with a distance of 30-40 cm from the nearest corners of the speakers.
After getting rid of the TV, the 215 Hz dip got filled and the 300 Hz peak got knocked down:
04.jpg

05.jpg

YSC

Major Contributor
Single sweep measurement of my 8030C's in room with only dip switches set as genelec advised, 1/6 octave smoothing
8030C measure.jpg

L+R sweep
L+R.jpg

Seems pretty decent for no DSP applied?

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Top Bottom