• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High End 4K Bluray Player Suggestions?

Sylafari

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am looking for a high end 4k Bluray player where I could just buy it once and not be worried about replacing it for a very long time.

I was considering the Oppo UDP-203 as it seems to have everything one would need except streaming (My LG C7's built in streaming is fantastic anyways) and has Dolby Vision support as well. But is Dolby Vision even much of a big step from just normal HDR? It also only has a switching power supply but I'm only going to use it for video so I don't feel like this could even remotely be an issue (there is a $380 dollar PSU mod for it online though for "improved video quality" -.-).

As for the Oppo UDP-205 I don't want to pay for premium audio features I don't need (plan on just using my RME with the Bluray Player through the coaxial cable).

Slight apprehension over amirm's look inside another Oppo player and discovered some not so quality parts but it still seems like an attractive option.

The only other high end 4K players I see are the Sony UPB-X1000ES which doesn't do Dolby Vision and has streaming which isn't useful in my case. Another one is the Panasonic DMP-UB900 which also doesn't have Dolby Vision.

Any opinions? Hell are these high end 4K players even worth it?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Basic considerations:

How much 4K content is available?

Viewing distance/screensize: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

How important is it to you compared to the lower resolution format? I have the Panasonic DMR-BWT760 Blu-ray Disc player/ program recorder with 4K upscaling and streaming. It suits my needs and space.

OP
Sylafari

Sylafari

There is plenty 4k content for what I seek (movies, TV shows).

4K isn't the difference maker to me though it is pretty great too, its really the HDR that really impresses me. I have already watched a few 4K HDR/Dolby Vision shows on Vudu and Netflix and it looks absolutely amazing to me on my LG C7.

As for viewing distance I view about only 4-6 feet away from a 55 inch C7 screen so the 4K looks great too!
I enjoy max fidelity as it is the reason I bought an OLED 4K TV!

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I am a long time Oppo owner and loyalist, through many models, though I am not 4K ready yet. I have the highest possible regard for Oppo as a manufacturer. At their price point, I honestly do not expect any player to last forever, even if technological obsolescence were not a factor. But, Oppo, over little more than a decade, has become the benchmark for features and quality in their segment while providing top customer service and satisfaction. High end firms or even the biggies like Sony just do not compare.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I replaced my OPPO BDP-83 last year with a Sony UBP-X800. I wanted a new player because the BDP-83 has a problem with something used on Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks called "seamless branching." The only two players on my radar screen were the Sony and OPPO, because they are the only two that support SACD and DVD-A.

I have had OPPO players since their first DVD player I think. I like the brand, but I could not justify more than double the price this go-around.

The Sony is fine. I would like a simpler menu. Dolby Vision was no concern. Realistically any movies we watch are from Apple or Amazon on a 4K AppleTV. The player is for multichannel audio mostly, and some movies with Atmos and DTS:X for AVR or SSP reviews. We use it maybe once every other week.

Speaking of 4K and LG OLEDs, have use seen The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon? It looks just amazing on the our 55C7. I think it is in Dolby Vision because I replaced a SnapAV 10G cable with a Monoprice optical 18.2G HDMI cable (50' run) and the color depth was so impressive that it looked almost 3D.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I looked closely at the Oppo and Sony but ended up with the Oppo. There are some things it does better, some worse, but several issues both had were corrected by FW updates in the Oppo and Sony is not claiming they will update. I don't recall what else but there are threads about them over on AVS and I spent a lot of time wading through them plus reading a bunch of other reviews. At the time the Sony was still fairly pricey and not discounted much, and I was able to get a pretty good deal on the Oppo UDP-203, so the price difference wasn't much.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I was considering the Oppo UDP-203 as it seems to have everything one would need except streaming (My LG C7's built in streaming is fantastic anyways) and has Dolby Vision support as well. But is Dolby Vision even much of a big step from just normal HDR? It also only has a switching power supply but I'm only going to use it for video so I don't feel like this could even remotely be an issue (there is a $380 dollar PSU mod for it online though for "improved video quality" -.-).

Almost impossible to answer as only a very few have ever seen DV yet. There's a lack of software and hardware both.
Sounds like the Oppo 203 would be the right one for you but let me add this.
If you are interested in staying on the bleeding edge of video tech your libel to stay there longer with the oppo as they will usually supply firmware updates to stay current for as long as they can. But the expensive side of video tech is the TV, staying current and replacing a TV every 2-3 years can get very expensive, so that will usually be the budgets limiting factor. I have a $200 Samsung UVD K8500, it will do HDR10 but that's it, no DV or 10+, but so what, neither will the $4K Sony TV I bought just a year ago, and it never will. I look at players as a dispensable item, if it breaks or goes obsolete, get a new one.
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sals-system.614/

Wombat

Master Contributor
We need the 'early-adopters' but I am no longer one - too costly.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am looking for a high end 4k Bluray player where I could just buy it once and not be worried about replacing it for a very long time.

As for the Oppo UDP-205 I don't want to pay for premium audio features I don't need (plan on just using my RME with the Bluray Player through the coaxial cable).

Slight apprehension over amirm's look inside another Oppo player and discovered some not so quality parts but it still seems like an attractive option.

The only other high end 4K players I see are the Sony UPB-X1000ES which doesn't do Dolby Vision and has streaming which isn't useful in my case. Another one is the Panasonic DMP-UB900 which also doesn't have Dolby Vision.

Any opinions? Hell are these high end 4K players even worth it?

1. Your LG OLED TV is Dolby Vision supported.
2. You want a Dolby Vision 4K BR player for a long time, without worrying about replacing it.
3. You don't need apps, not useful to you; besides your TV is fully equipped already.
5. Your thread's title starts by "Hi End" which means solid engineering and quality build and performance.
6. You have no use for premium audio features in the 205.
7. Dolby Vision is theoretically superior to HDR10.

There is only one 4K UHD Blu-ray player that fits your personal requirements: Oppo 203.

OP
Sylafari

Sylafari

Seems like the Oppo UDP-203 is the right choice than. I sort of knew that it was probably the Oppo but it is nice to have confirmation. As for keeping up with the high end, I think the LC C7 will serve me well for a decent bit (I'm not going to just keep buying the best just want most of the perks) and it seemed like a sort of future proof TV (Dolby Vision, HDR10, OLED Contrast). I have some light fears about OLED burn in, but I only watch movies and TV shows on my TV so I should be fine (my PS4 Pro I play through my PC monitor). I own some Vudu 4k Dolby Vision titles and they look great but so do the HDR 4k content on Amazon.com which just have regular HDR. Don't have any content on both where one is Dolby Vision and other just regular HDR to compare but once I get the Oppo, I can compare Wonder Woman Bluray which doesn't have Dolby Vision with the Vudu 4K stream which does. But than that brings stream vs player quality into the mix as well and then it is hard to tell which one is better cause of HDR or a higher bitrate, etc.

Thanks for the responses.

Dismayed

I'm watching from the sidelines, and I'm pleased that early adopters are willing to forge ahead. Yes, early adoption is, indeed, costly. I'm a former OS/2 Warp user . . .

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After having reliability problems with my Epson projector I bit the bullet and bought a Sony 4K projector and the dealer threw in a Sony UPB-X1000ES which works more reliably than the Oppo 105 I had been using, which skipped on quite a few DVDs. I still use the Oppo for the audio of videos, SACDs and so forth.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As for keeping up with the high end, I think the LC C7 will serve me well for a decent bit (I'm not going to just keep buying the best just want most of the perks) and it seemed like a sort of future proof TV (Dolby Vision, HDR10, OLED Contrast).
Yep, I would say you should be good for quite a while.
The bugaboo in HE audio is the marketing of pseudoscience products that offer zero to very little measurable or audible improvements.
The bugaboo in HE video is the marketing of planed obsolescence, a constant rapid flow of new and improved hardware and software. They are both measurable and view-able improvements though maybe only under certain circumstances, very slightly noticable, at a very high cost, etc. But at least it's not for the most part snake-oil.
Amazing the forward progress that's been made in video over the last few decades. For the non-first adopters, picture quality has skyrocketed while costs have fallen dramatically. :D
I have some light fears about OLED burn in, but I only watch movies and TV shows on my TV so I should be fine
I would remain aware of the possibility, I believe some of the manufactures have downplayed the potential., it is a real concern. Once burned, twice shy, Back in the day, I had a very expensive rear projection set ruined in a short time by viewing a lot of TV on stations that insist on having their ever present logos in the bottom right of the screen. :mad:
Best Regards

OP
Sylafari

Sylafari

Yep, I would say you should be good for quite a while.
I would remain aware of the possibility, I believe some of the manufactures have downplayed the potential., it is a real concern. Once burned, twice shy, Back in the day, I had a very expensive rear projection set ruined in a short time by viewing a lot of TV on stations that insist on having their ever present logos in the bottom right of the screen. :mad:
Best Regards

I feel like after a while the TV market kind of settles in terms of actual innovations (with HDTVs, once TVs hit 1080P with HDMI, real innovations seemed to slow til all this new 4K HDR recently).
Also man is it so much easier IMO to buy a high end TV than to buy high end audio, looking at a LG OLED compared to other non-OLED TVs was real easy in making my decision. At least I hope my eyes are dependable ;-)

As for burn in, I have no TV service so those logos can never attack my TV (I watch TV shows on Netflix, etc)! :-D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
At least I hope my eyes are dependable

They aren't (as you probably know).

The squares marked A and B are the same shade of gray.

51A006EA-31EA-453A-A767AD35FFBD6099.jpg

A little copy and paste:

upload_2018-2-5_15-6-53.png

OP
Sylafari

Sylafari

Ah yes, optical illusions :(

Hope they don't show those at TV demos :oops:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I feel like after a while the TV market kind of settles in terms of actual innovations (with HDTVs, once TVs hit 1080P with HDMI, real innovations seemed to slow til all this new 4K HDR recently).
Yep, things may quiet down after the HDR format battles level.
Then it'll be 8K and you got to replace everything again. :eek: LOL

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
XBox One X?

If all you are needing is 4K with HDR it will punch the ticket.

OP
Sylafari

Sylafari

XBox One X?

If all you are needing is 4K with HDR it will punch the ticket.

Xbox One X idle and load fan noise is too loud for me. That and $500 and no Dolby Vision as well :(

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Xbox One X idle and load fan noise is too loud for me. That and $500 and no Dolby Vision as well :(

I assumed that it would be as quiet as my XBox One S. I can't believe I got the thing for $169 at Kohls NIB. I added a TV Tuner to it last week.

It also does 4K and UHD and is quiet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom