• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inexpensive DAC with multiple unbalanced outs?

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know if a relatively inexpensive DAC with multiple unbalanced outs? Something with volume control that can drive an amp and a sub? I know MiniDSP SHD can do it, but what else is out there?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
A number of affordable DACs -- or DAC/amp combos -- that have both unbalanced (RCA) and balanced (XLR) outputs. Would you be able to use something like these to connect the XLR outs on the DAC to the RCA inputs on the amp or the sub?
If so that would open up a lot of DAC options for you. Otherwise I think you might be looking at mixers w/ DAC capability.

OP
eddantes

eddantes

Thanks for the responses. Ideally I'm looking for a 2.2 system with a DAC fed by GCA to a stereo amp and two subs. I didn't realise that I can use balanced and unbalanced outs simultaneously (with adapters) so that would mean something like SMSL M500 should do the trick. Thanks again.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
miniDSP 2X4HD has 4 unbalanced outputs that can be managed independently. It can do a lot in terms of x-over / eq and is ideal for a 2.2 system. Biggest downside to me is that it does not have a volume knob or volume indication so that may be a deal breaker for you.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd

Michael

Reactions: kjb
OP
eddantes

eddantes

Thank you. I am aware of MiniDSP offerings and in particular I was looking at https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-24 which would achieve my 2.2 objective and add Dirac, but unfortunately there's no volume control, unlike the SMSL or Sabaj. To get volume control I think we need to look the SHD line and that raise the price to 2x (or more) of the aforementioned products.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DDRC-24 is the same hardware as 2X4HD, you can either buy the DDRC-24 outright or purchase a 2X4HD and upgrade it to a DDRC-24. Both have digital volume control via remote, but they do not have volume indication.

An interesting option is the $500 C-DSP 8x12 v2 as they recently released a $50 OLED volume control/display for it.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/car-audio-dsp/c-dsp-8x12
https://www.minidsp.com/products/car-audio-dsp/cdsp-oled-remote

You can also upgrade the C-DSP 8x12 v2 to use Dirac for an additional $330.

Michael

OP
eddantes

eddantes

That is an interesting option, I'll need to read a bit more through the docs. All in, it works out to nearly SHD $money... (w UMIK + WiFi) though. My initial inquiry was to see if ideally one can find a DAC w volume control and 4x outs for a 2.2 implementation for around ~$300 or less. I suppose I could've been more specific... but then I wouldn't have learned about the C-DSP!

Chrise36

Major Contributor
The 8x12 is a nice unit with good DAC although a bit expensive if you can afford it.There is also the combination of one mini dsp nanodigi to 2 dac like the topping E30 a bit complicated though

OP
eddantes

eddantes

I've even considered using 2 GCAs in a Google Home Speaker group feeding two dacs (or, simply one GCA connected directly to the subs)... but I'm afraid of group delay issues and would like to avoid that.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I've even considered using 2 GCAs in a Google Home Speaker group feeding two dacs (or, simply one GCA connected directly to the subs)... but I'm afraid of group delay issues and would like to avoid that.
The nano digi can do it correctly

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Also Look at the ESX X DSP about 300 euro plus power supply

OP
eddantes

eddantes

So that's a GCA to ~$200 MiniDSP Nono Digi (w options for filtering, xover, sub integration) to two DACs (SMSL Sanskrit? $100 x 2) to amp and subs... as another way to do this.

Hmmm - lots of options to consider. Kind thanks for the inputs.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
If you want a better DAC than the car audio units yes i think it is better.

OP
eddantes

eddantes

Out of curiousity I used two RCA Y cables to split the output from DAC to subs and amp and it seems to work just fine. Not that I did any close listening, but I can't really hear anything untoward. Does anyone know what the objective effect is of using Y cables (doubling the output connections) on a DAC or the receiving AMPs?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Out of curiousity I used two RCA Y cables to split the output from DAC to subs and amp and it seems to work just fine. Not that I did any close listening, but I can't really hear anything untoward. Does anyone know what the objective effect is of using Y cables (doubling the output connections) on a DAC or the receiving AMPs?
When your subwoofer is off does the amp get input? I know some for some dac it is not recommended but if you do not have any noise issues it is ok.

Lorenzo74

Thanks for the responses. Ideally I'm looking for a 2.2 system with a DAC fed by GCA to a stereo amp and two subs. I didn't realise that I can use balanced and unbalanced outs simultaneously (with adapters) so that would mean something like SMSL M500 should do the trick. Thanks again.
You already mentioned.
minidsp has a full stack 2.2 DAC, with and without Dirac live. from 200€ to 1200€...
if something with better value exist that match your requirements (stereo in, 4 programmable out,..) pls let me know.

OP
eddantes

eddantes

Just a followup:

I think my question was spawned from ignorance and overthinking.
After an evening listing to my current setup:

Spotify > Google Chromecast Audio > DAC (via Toslink) > 2 x RCA Y splitters > Stereo AMP + 2 x Subs

It seems to be as good as it would as it would be:

Spotify Connect > 2.2 Stereo Receiver > 2 x Subs

Infact, probably better! As the amp has more 4x power into 4ohms and DAC is probably a better implementation than what's in the receiver.

Either way - Y splitters are just fine (in my usecase). No need for a fancy multi-out DAC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom