• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[closed] Speaker Review index (v2): updates and feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...f-audio-databases-resources.10763/post-601286

@pavuol Please post here if you have other issues.

About the one you brought up: do you mean that the tooltip in the preference score ranking contains no link to the review?
View attachment 99461
I meant in Audio Electronics Review and Measurements Index, clicking at particular row link you to a corresponding ASR review, whereas in
Speaker Review and Measurement Index entries in first sheet/"Speaker index" don't act this way. I get a feeling they also acted as links before but maybe just my imagination.. again, not a big deal, just a nice convenience for the lazy ones like me :p Thank you for your great effort for this site!

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I meant in Audio Electronics Review and Measurements Index, clicking at particular row link you to a corresponding ASR review, whereas in
Speaker Review and Measurement Index entries in first sheet/"Speaker index" don't act this way. I get a feeling they also acted as links before but maybe just my imagination.. again, not a big deal, just a nice convenience for the lazy ones like me :p Thank you for your great effort for this site!
Oh yeah. There are some differences in terms of function between the dashboards. We'll try to harmonize them at some point. I'm sure more than a few people have noticed but not commented before you.

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

This was working ... for a long time. That functionality in Tableau Public hasn't been touched but you are right, it stopped working for some reason. I went into the Tableau Public app and simply did a data refresh (i.e., I didn't touch any code) and that resolved the underlying issue for the Speaker Index.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry if this is a little too specific for this thread - I can't figure out why the index is showing the Denon 3700 @ 101dB SINAD using RCA in/Speaker Out ? The only place in the review I see such a figure the front amps are turned off, so I'm not sure how it could be Speaker Out?

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Sorry if this is a little too specific for this thread - I can't figure out why the index is showing the Denon 3700 @ 101dB SINAD using RCA in/Speaker Out ? The only place in the review I see such a figure the front amps are turned off, so I'm not sure how it could be Speaker Out?

I'm assuming you meant to post this here? (This is the speaker index thread, not the electronics index thread.) Either way we'll take a look. @pozz did all of the heavy lifting for data entry with electronics so he'll be the best resource to answer your question.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Ah. This was an error. Should have been an average calculation. Correct value is 88dB.

Edit: I'm in the middle of a bigger update to the database so it will take a few days before I can fix it.

Last edited:

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a kind of love-hate relationship with this. No question that it is a very useful tool. But each time I try to use it, I end up very frustrated and not wanting to use it again. My sense is that the difficulties I encounter are endemic to the tool itself (Tableau). As several people have mentioned, it would be very nice if it were possible to make selections for multiple filters and for all of them to be applied via a single user action (click) done by the user only after making all filter selections. This would be less of an annoyance if the response time for the individual filters to have effect were a lot quicker, but it is slow of course, which makes the way the tool was designed very annoying. I don't have any particular knowledge of tools of this type; as far as I know this is the only game in town and I am pissing into the wind so to speak. But if there are alternative tools and if they are different in this one respect, this would be for me a strong reason to use another tool that is more smartly designed in this respect. By the way I forget to mention that I am the very worst person in the entire world when it comes to offering constructive feedback in a manner that makes me seem like a reasonable person. I am aware, fully, that people have put a lot of hard work into this, for no personal reward. I wish that being aware of this were enough to make me behave like a reasonable person.

There seems to be a timer that after some number of minutes forces a refresh. I am certain that at certain times in the not-too-distant past, this resulted in the clearing/loss of some of the filters I had set, which force me to start over with setting the filters, which meant that I got to repeat the experience with the way the individual filters are applied individually and slowly return results that are not useful because the filters aren't yet complete.

I still have not figured out exactly how to find the link to the review page. Up until this moment I've been hesitant to mention this because I assumed that it was obvious to everyone else and that if I mentioned this, everyone would know I'm stupid, in addition to being an asshole. Secondary-click seems not to be used at all, which is another annoyance for me. If I primary-click on "Review and Measurements", I get a message in the URL field at the top of the browser, "Pop-up Window Blocked". I suppose this is due to my having blocked pop-up windows because they are generally a nuisance. In spite of the message the pop-up window pops up, which is every bit as odd as the warning message that appears in the URL field. Once "Review and Measurements" has been highlighted, the pop-up reactivates if the mouse cursor is moved back to that spot (after having moved it away). This isn't a big deal, but it does strike me as something done by someone who was trying very hard to be clever and not trying very hard to make something that would be intuitive and simple to use. Within the popup, the link to the manufacturer's page for the product is found. Secondary-click does not function on this link. Once the manufacturer's page has been opened (in another tab in my browser because I have my browser configured to open new pages in new tabs), if I then primary-click on "Review and Measurements", the review page on ASR now opens (in another tab, for me). Yet, this isn't a consistent behavior. Sometimes the first instance of primary-clicking on "Review and Measurements" will cause the review page to open, instead of cause the pop-up to appear. Other times, double-primary-clicking on "Review and Measurements" has this effect. My sense is that this seemingly non-deterministic behavior is likely endemic to the tool (Tableau).

On the other hand, maybe someone will point out whatever it is that I'm not doing right, and I'll end up having to apologize and to repeat my a priori acknowledgement of being a complete asshole.

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I have a kind of love-hate relationship with this ... [clipped]

I lot to unpack here. If I'm missing or not understanding something please let me know.
  1. We are currently limited by the functionality available in Tableau Public. There are a number of high-quality data visualization tools on the market. However, I'm not aware of any that provide the same level of features -- and cloud storage -- that would meet ASR's current budget for visualization tools (roughly $0/year). This may change in the future but I believe the current budget priorities are focused on test equipment and facilitating the testing of members' audio gear.
  2. Performance of filters is an issue. However, we don't have much control there. (See #1 above.) There was a specific design choice made to only show relevant values for the filters. For example, if you select "Harman International" in the Parent Company filter then the Brand filter will only show "Infinity", "JBL" and "Revel". This is meant to make the filters more intuitive by showing only filter values that are valid based on other filters that have already been set. We could speed up the filter processing time somewhat by removing this feature, but then we have a UX problem where users can see/select filter values that aren't valid.
  3. Having a single "Apply" button to run all filters would be ideal for our dashboards. However, this feature does not currently exist with Tableau Public.
  4. I agree that the automated dashboard refresh can be annoying. I have not found an option to control this but I will continue to investigate.
  5. In the Speaker Index dashboard you can simply single-click any row to take you to the ASR review for those speakers. Depending on your browser you can allow pop-ups for just ASR (i.e., make ASR an exception to your blocking rule). You don't need to highlight a row first, you can simply click on it; highlighting a row invokes different behavior in Tableau Public.
  6. "This isn't a big deal, but it does strike me as something done by someone who was trying very hard to be clever and not trying very hard to make something that would be intuitive and simple to use." I'll do my best not to take offense to that remark.
Thanks.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
If I primary-click on "Review and Measurements", I get a message in the URL field at the top of the browser, "Pop-up Window Blocked". I suppose this is due to my having blocked pop-up windows because they are generally a nuisance. In spite of the message the pop-up window pops up, which is every bit as odd as the warning message that appears in the URL field. Once "Review and Measurements" has been highlighted, the pop-up reactivates if the mouse cursor is moved back to that spot (after having moved it away).
One clarification. In Tableau vocabulary, the window that pops up when you hover your mouse over the right-hand side is called a "tooltip". It is not the same as a "pop up" in the sense of a new browser window, which most adblocking apps try to prevent.
1610461127894.png

I am aware, fully, that people have put a lot of hard work into this, for no personal reward. I wish that being aware of this were enough to make me behave like a reasonable person.
You're a strange kind of character.

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

Thanks for catching these. I've fixed the Edifier R1280T entry so that one is fine now.

The Canon S-50 is in the database but there's something about that entry that makes it not appear by default in Tableau. If you hover your mouse over the "Pref Score (w/ sub)" control you can click the "Click to Show All Values" icon (it's the small filter symbol with a red x over it). After you do this the Canon S-50 will show up. However, it should be there by default so I've logged a bug for myself to investigate and fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom