• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Geo70

Hello everyone tomorrow I order this DAC can you give me some kind advice gentlemen? I had an audiogd 15.1 DAC and now it makes some strange noises it doesn't work anymore or maybe it's my fault :) I wanted to ask you my old DAC was connected to an ICEASpower 125x2 class D amplifier without potentiometer, my question is how should I use this DAC connected to the my pre-amp or pure pure DAC? Thanks a lot to everyone.

Geo70

It has a memory function (so the volume is set to whatever you had it on when you turn it back on) so you can use it as a preamp, directly connected to your amplifier. I use it this way with a Hypex NC252MP amp. Works great.

Great :) Ty so much

N

nhatlam96

Same with other inputs.
So it's like 20 to 22 bits?
index.php

Yoyop

Hello everyone,
I have an issue with my E30 I think. (I'm using E30/L30 Stack and love it sooo far with my HD600)
Sometimes, when playing games or just listening some musics, one channel cut off or is pretty low volume that I can barely hear it.
My configuration is : PC > Usb cable (Audioquest Forest) > E30 (Audioquest Golden gate RCA) > L30 > HD600
I tried to turn off the L30, then turn on again => No results
I tried to switch gain with L30 to see what happens => No results
The only thing that works is to switch source on the E30 and come back to USB, and now the 2 channels are good, but the problem is still here, pretty random problem. I can use my stack for 4 hours without any problems, and sometimes 10 minutes and lost the channel...

Any suggestions ? Thanks for helping

Edit : I'm trying use my L30 directly from my computeur via Jack > Rca, all works fine, so the issue is the E30 :(

I will return it to Amazon quickly, by the way should I buy it again with the fear of having such issue then ?

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Hello everyone,
I have an issue with my E30 I think. (I'm using E30/L30 Stack and love it sooo far with my HD600)
Sometimes, when playing games or just listening some musics, one channel cut off or is pretty low volume that I can barely hear it.
My configuration is : PC > Usb cable (Audioquest Forest) > E30 (Audioquest Golden gate RCA) > L30 > HD600
I tried to turn off the L30, then turn on again => No results
I tried to switch gain with L30 to see what happens => No results
The only thing that works is to switch source on the E30 and come back to USB, and now the 2 channels are good, but the problem is still here, pretty random problem. I can use my stack for 4 hours without any problems, and sometimes 10 minutes and lost the channel...

Any suggestions ? Thanks for helping

Edit : I'm trying use my L30 directly from my computeur via Jack > Rca, all works fine, so the issue is the E30 :(

I will return it to Amazon quickly, by the way should I buy it again with the fear of having such issue then ?
There are a few more things to try before you send it back if you want to rule everything out:

a. Different USB port.
b. Different USB cable.
c. Different RCA cables between E30 and L30.
d. Different computer.

Of course you're not obligated to do any of that, but it might help to give you piece of mind before replacing the E30 or purchasing another piece of equipment.

Yoyop

There are a few more things to try before you send it back if you want to rule everything out:

a. Different USB port.
b. Different USB cable.
c. Different RCA cables between E30 and L30.
d. Different computer.

Of course you're not obligated to do any of that, but it might help to give you piece of mind before replacing the E30 or purchasing another piece of equipment.

Different USB port : Issue
Different USB port : Issue
Different RCA cables between E30 and L30 : Issue
I can't try another computer unfortunately :(

The L30 is connected to my desktop with Jack > Rca, and no issue for now (2 hours without problem).
Is anyone had this issue before or am I alone ? I'm hesitating to re-purchase the E30, cause I love it ... or maybe go for the D10S because I don't need remote or other inputs... but D10S only with USB i'm affraid to get usb noises

Last edited:

Shivers

Hello all, I'm new here and wondering if anyone could help me. I received my first proper setup yesterday, Sennheiser 560S, Topping L30 & Topping E30. Sadly I can't power the DAC currently as I was sent a DCV5 Barrel>Barrel connector cable, not one with a USB connection on one side. Should I buy a DCV5 Barrel>USB cable and then use my iPhone plug, or just buy a DCV5 charger? Sadly I can't find a plug that would allow me to plug this cable into it, there also seems to be different sizes of these barrel connectors, can anyone confirm which exact size they are please? I'm in the UK if that helps...thanks!IMG_4500_DxO.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you did not get the correct cable, ask your supplier for one..

TheNannerpus

Hi all,

I discovered this website about a week ago and have not gotten much sleep since. I have taken Amir's review of the E30 and many of your subsequent comments to heart and ordered one, which arrived today. I am confused as to what my ears now hear and am looking for feedback.

Near-field listening setup:

Source: HP Elitebook
Format: FLAC
Signal path A: Aux port --> A/V switch --> Gemtune GS01 tube amp --> Klipsch R-41M (wish I would've read Amir's review on these before I got them...)
Signal path B: USB port --> Topping E30 --> A/V switch --> Gemtune GS01 tube amp --> Klipsch R-41M
Aux output settings: 24-bit/48k Hz
USB output settings: 24-bit/384K Hz
E30 settings: DAC mode; filter #3

(I'm using the switch to A/B the sound with and without the E30.)

Observations:

1. With both audio output volumes on laptop set at 40, the E30's volume is a bit louder. Dare I say fuller as well?
  2. When I adjust the USB volume down to match (by ear) the volume of the Aux, it sounds more compressed than the audio without the E30. Maybe even the highs are not as clear.
  3. When I adjust them back to equal volume levels, the audio with the E30 again sounds louder/fuller, and like the midrange has been filled in. This is particularly noticeable when I play Megadeath's Symphony of Destruction. The guitar crunch was more "correct" with the E30 than without it. It sounded thin without it.
  4. Norah Jones vocals also sounded more full with E30 in path than without.
  5. Eagles 7 Bridges Road (live) sounded about the same, but guitar picking/strumming seemed more detailed without the E30.

Here is my confusion:

1. Why did I need a DAC in the first place? Look at all the problems it's causing me. :)
  2. Why am I getting these audible differences in output with the E30? It's very noticeable that the midrange has increased.
  3. Is it possible I'm hearing more "accurate" sound now?
  4. Would you recommend any different settings/setups than what I've got here?
  5. No really, why did I need a DAC in the first place? o_O
I really did not like the sound of those R41Ms when I first got them - way too shrill and mids seemed scooped. But with this E30, they sound good enough to not throw out. I think I need to switch over to some other speakers and play around some more (the Overnight Sensations are usually in this audio path) but I was very puzzled by the results I'm seeing here.

Thank you any and all responders. Opinions welcome.

EDIT: added emojis so I sound nicer.

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Hi all,

I discovered this website about a week ago and have not gotten much sleep since. I have taken Amir's review of the E30 and many of your subsequent comments to heart and ordered one, which arrived today. I am confused as to what my ears now hear and am looking for feedback.

Near-field listening setup:

Source: HP Elitebook
Format: FLAC
Signal path A: Aux port --> A/V switch --> Gemtune GS01 tube amp --> Klipsch R-41M (wish I would've read Amir's review on these before I got them...)
Signal path B: USB port --> Topping E30 --> A/V switch --> Gemtune GS01 tube amp --> Klipsch R-41M
Aux output settings: 24-bit/48k Hz
USB output settings: 24-bit/384K Hz
E30 settings: DAC mode; filter #3

(I'm using the switch to A/B the sound with and without the E30.)

Observations:

1. With both audio output volumes on laptop set at 40, the E30's volume is a bit louder. Dare I say fuller as well?
  2. When I adjust the USB volume down to match (by ear) the volume of the Aux, it sounds more compressed than the audio without the E30. Maybe even the highs are not as clear.
  3. When I adjust them back to equal volume levels, the audio with the E30 again sounds louder/fuller, and like the midrange has been filled in. This is particularly noticeable when I play Megadeath's Symphony of Destruction. The guitar crunch was more "correct" with the E30 than without it. It sounded thin without it.
  4. Norah Jones vocals also sounded more full with E30 in path than without.
  5. Eagles 7 Bridges Road (live) sounded about the same, but guitar picking/strumming seemed more detailed without the E30.

Here is my confusion:

1. Why did I need a DAC in the first place? Look at all the problems it's causing me.
  2. Why am I getting these audible differences in output with the E30? It's very noticeable that the midrange has increased.
  3. Is it possible I'm hearing more "accurate" sound now?
  4. Would you recommend any different settings/setups than what I've got here?
  5. No really, why did I need a DAC in the first place?
I really did not like the sound of those R41Ms when I first got them - way too shrill and mids seemed scooped. But with this E30, they sound good enough to not throw out. I think I need to switch over to some other speakers and play around some more (the Overnight Sensations are usually in this audio path) but I was very puzzled by the results I'm seeing here.

Thank you any and all responders. Opinions welcome.
What is the "A/V switch" in this case?

Different devices can have different levels of line output. In the case of the E30, it's a little over 2V. Your laptop's line output appears to be lower. It's not necessarily a better/worse thing, although some amplifiers need more signal to achieve their maximum volume.

The E30 is pretty much guaranteed to be more accurate than the built-in audio. You can do some basic measurements of the laptop's output using RMAA and a loopback cable connected from your analog out to your mic input if you have those ports.

If you want to maintain the best signal to noise ratio, leave the volume on your operating system and the E30 at 100% and control it with your integrated amp. Some people suggest lowering volume by 3 dB to avoid intersample overs -- your choice.

TheNannerpus

What is the "A/V switch" in this case?

Different devices can have different levels of line output. In the case of the E30, it's a little over 2V. Your laptop's line output appears to be lower. It's not necessarily a better/worse thing, although some amplifiers need more signal to achieve their maximum volume.

The E30 is pretty much guaranteed to be more accurate than the built-in audio. You can do some basic measurements of the laptop's output using RMAA and a loopback cable connected from your analog out to your mic input if you have those ports.

If you want to maintain the best signal to noise ratio, leave the volume on your operating system and the E30 at 100% and control it with your integrated amp. Some people suggest lowering volume by 3 dB to avoid intersample overs -- your choice.

Thanks for the feedback. I will give the volume adjustment a try. When you suggest lowering 3dB - is that with the E30? I'm in DAC mode and volume is not controllable, so should I switch to Pre?

The switch is a passive 4-port Panlong unit.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Thanks for the feedback. I will give the volume adjustment a try. When you suggest lowering 3dB - is that with the E30? I'm in DAC mode and volume is not controllable, so should I switch to Pre?

The switch is a passive 4-port Panlong unit.
I gotcha, just a passive selector. All good there.

You'll want to adjust the volume in your software or OS:
- There are many recordings which are mastered up to 0dB. Playing them leads to intersample overs and thus clipping with most of delta-sigma DACs because of their oversampling nature. Oversampling (interpolation) raises dynamic range and SNR from its principle and fixed point PCM data representation cannot exceed 0dB. But if you lower volume to about -3dB in your software player, no clipping will happen with any recording. DAC volume controls don't help with that, because as you can see on schematics of DAC chips the volume control is typically placed between interpolator and delta-sigma modulator.

Top Bottom