• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8330A vs 8030C

ClosDeBen

Just found out I had a previously unknown credit at Musicians Friend (expiring way too quickly). I've been fussing over a monitor decision on another thread but the Genelec mounting options and size make them attractive and the credit makes the price more so. I steered toward the 8330A to have the GLM and digital input (using an iMac as a source) but it's unfortunately not carried by MF. How much do I give up stepping down to the 8030 ? My office is likely a hostile place for sound with plentiful cabinets and windows so seems like it could use room correction.

Secondarily, has anyone mounted 8000 series Genelecs on a wall ? US stores only seem to carry the rather expensive 8000-402B wall mounts ($110, nearly as much as low priced monitors, ouch..). Thomann won't ship Genelec Monitors nor their mounts to the US but they have several Genelec wall mounts selling for half that which seem perfectly suitable. The 422B for one.

Lastly, can the Genelec's be mounted sideways ? Other than the asymetry, it would be a slightly easier fit as the vertical space over my monitors is limited.

Use is just personal listening in my office, about 1m from the monitors.

zym1010

Forum Donor
By turning on/off GLM correction on my 8330s, I think GLM does save you a lot of time and give you peace of mind (so that you will not fuss over room correction for too long).

sound quality wise, GLM on/off can be very different. In my case, freq response around 100-200hz had peaks without correction, resulting in muddy vocal and bad imaging.

OP
C

ClosDeBen

@syzygetic thanks. I'd also overlooked the extra $360 for the GLM. The pure digital path up to the drivers appeals to me, whether or not I can hear it for the extra $700 is another matter.

zym1010

Forum Donor
@syzygetic thanks. I'd also overlooked the extra $360 for the GLM. The pure digital path up to the drivers appeals to me, whether or not I can hear it for the extra $700 is another matter.
overall, an all digital setup takes less space, and gives higher SPL in my case (probably because my DAC does not have enough voltage to feed the analog input); sound wise, maybe it's a bit clearer, not sure.

Harryharryharry

Just picking this comparison up - looking at the spin scores it seems the 8030c is a more competent speaker, however how much noticeable difference do you think this makes in the real world? I'd be applying EQ & have a sub.

I'm trying to decide whether, objectively slightly better performance of 8030c & lower cost, but I'd need to keep my Minidsp Flex & Dirac (worth £600), or do I go with the 8330A for fewer boxes?

If I did go 8330A I might need to swap my SVS sub for a Genelec one, or perhaps I can still integrate it using the SVS app.

Top Bottom