• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
It might be interesting to test some ultra-budget headphones:

Panasonic RP-HT21 - supra-aural - $6.99
Panasonic RP-HJE120 - in-ear - $8.99

I bought these for the office and gym respectively and I've been kind of blown away by what you get for essentially throwaway prices. They're also hugely popular with over 15,000 and 120,000 respective reviews on Amazon. Oratory1990 tested and EQ'd the HJE120, but it would be nice to have another data point along with subjective impressions.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Interested in testing the last three. Please start a conversation with me and we will take it from there.
Prepare to be disappointed with the famous M50X. No idea how they became the most popular budget audiophile headphone, my brother owns one (well, the older M50, which to my knowledge is the same sound), and I forget who described it as such, but gives me a claustrophobic feeling, like male vocals just sound off. Wasn’t surprised by what RTings measured:
958774AC-C69F-4F36-8815-DD41E1FF32BF.jpeg

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Prepare to be disappointed with the famous M50X. No idea how they became the most popular budget audiophile headphone, my brother owns one (well, the older M50, which to my knowledge is the same sound), and I forget who described it as such, but gives me a claustrophobic feeling, like male vocals just sound off.
There was a point not too long ago where the AKG K371 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50x were right next to each other near the top of the list in the AutoEq rankings. They looked like two sides of the same coin with slight tilts in opposite directions (AKG cold, AT warm, IIRC). Now the M50x is much lower in the rankings. Curious to know what happened there.

Andersonix

Also there's a new Philips, the X3. I noticed it had a release price of $200, but is now being offered at around $300. But it's brand new, so give it time to settle.
Might be fun to see if it's the same driver as the X2HR, but in a slick frame?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AKG N90Q. It's like the genelec+glm of headphones. Plus they're like 75% off retail on eBay.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also there's a new Philips, the X3. I noticed it had a release price of $200, but is now being offered at around $300. But it's brand new, so give it time to settle.
Might be fun to see if it's the same driver as the X2HR, but in a slick frame?
From measurements I’ve seen and also reviews, the X3 is noticeably worse in sound quality than the X2HR.

Here is the RTINGS comparison:
52C4AA94-4C52-4D40-893C-B78558B21212.jpeg

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Prepare to be disappointed with the famous M50X. No idea how they became the most popular budget audiophile headphone, my brother owns one (well, the older M50, which to my knowledge is the same sound), and I forget who described it as such, but gives me a claustrophobic feeling, like male vocals just sound off. Was t surprised by what RTings measured:
View attachment 104438
M50 and M50x measure similarly but not the same.
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/audio-technica-ath-m50.php#gsc.tab=0
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/audio-technica-ath-m50x.php#gsc.tab=0

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would like to see Denon AH-D 7200 and Fostex TH610 measured under the same conditions: they look like close siblings and are priced the same at this moment (about 600 Euro in Germany).

Crandall

The classics: Senn HD-600, AKG K-240 (old and new versions), Beyerdynamics DT-770 pro (80 and 250 ohms)
Seconded on the DT770(80 ohm in particular). I'd like to see how they measure on his rig and what his EQ recommendations would be. Out of the box they're pretty close to Harman with some extra treble peaks.

Fregly

Prepare to be disappointed with the famous M50X. No idea how they became the most popular budget audiophile headphone, my brother owns one (well, the older M50, which to my knowledge is the same sound), and I forget who described it as such, but gives me a claustrophobic feeling, like male vocals just sound off. Was t surprised by what RTings measured:
View attachment 104438
Yeah I thought the M50 were just weird sounding, and could not understand why they got recommended. I actually wondered if mine were defective.

Top Bottom