• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

0%_Audiophile

Topping a30 measures better than Schiit
Schiit I already have, meanwhile chinese sellers increased price for all production of sanskrit and topping. Magni 99$, A30 150$, not sure that chinese will be for 50% better.

0%_Audiophile

This looks like a cute little set-up, honestly.
Cute != Good I don't believe that sonata the same as bigger dacs. It's impossible, there is no place to install all schemes inside sonata

Veri

Master Contributor
I don't believe that sonata the same as bigger dacs. It's impossible, there is no place to install all schemes inside sonata
It's basically just a piece of CS43131 DAC. Topping D30 Pro is the same chip but in desktop chassis, more components. If you compare, the dongle is still very good though, I don't see the problem here.

Really? I thought it was joke. This small usb stick can not be the same as big brother, for example sanskrit 10th mk2 or D10s or monoprice monolith dac.
It's still competitive, size doesn't mean it's somehow ultimately better in all aspects. 1 small silicon chip can do a lot lol.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's basically just a piece of CS43131 DAC. Topping D30 Pro is the same chip but in desktop chassis, more components. If you compare, the dongle is still very good though, I don't see the problem here.

It's still competitive, size doesn't mean it's somehow ultimately better in all aspects. 1 small silicon chip can do a lot lol.

D30 Pro is a CS43198, not the CS43131.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Cute != Good I don't believe that sonata the same as bigger dacs. It's impossible, there is no place to install all schemes inside sonata

It has everything it needs to be as transparent as any other decent DAC. Not sure what you are referring to as missing schemes...but what's missing (different) isn't about sound quality.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks for the correction! From what I understand it even has quad CS43198 chips, right? But not the mobile CS43131 :)

Last edited:

0%_Audiophile

It has everything it needs to be as transparent as any other decent DAC. Not sure what you are referring to as missing schemes...but what's missing (different) isn't about sound quality.
On board audio such as Realtek ALC1200 is also transparent, it seems that any external DAC is not necessary, but anybody is looking for something better.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
CS43198 (CS43199) is DAC alone while CS43131 is the same DAC with integrated amplifier on package. Anyway we didn't had any really bad implementation of those measured. In some areas they still hold the record (Smartphone integration [Vivo NEX]). Sure would like to see high integrated device's with those measured.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? I thought it was joke. This small usb stick can not be the same as big brother, for example sanskrit 10th mk2 or D10s or monoprice monolith dac.

Why is bigger better?

And did you not look at the measurements at the beginning of this thread?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And still the result isn't great
Of course a dedicated amp will be better, but I quote Amir:

"Switching to my inefficient and low impedance 25 ohm Drop Ether CX headphones, I was surprised at the amount of power and fidelity.

Best performance was had with Hifiman HE-400i. There was now plenty of volume with very clean, detailed and high fidelity sound."

cooll

Hello,
I have Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and Fiio FH7 IEMs. I don't did any measurements but I found the sound from my Galaxy not so bad.
I have some questions:
1. Will HIDIZS S8 beat audio quality of Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus?
2. Which portable DAC is really good?
I ask the questions because I allready bought Ibasso DC03 and I was not Impressed with the quality of the audio. In my opinion sound from my Galaxy mach better than sound from Ibasso DC03.

Thanks.

Top Bottom