• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your in-room measurements?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Sounds reasonable. Any upper and lower bound limitations?
That doesn't really matter as long as all the data is in the window.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
There's a semi-consensus on 50 dB vertical scale and var smoothing. With these settings, the divisions are 5 dB by default in REW.
Whatever it gets to the same point in the end. Stereophile uses 1/6th octave and I'd like to be able to compare to their traces.

Jukka

Here is the SPL view without phase, var smoothing. Vertical scale is 50 dB. My previous graph was from distortion view, which doesn't seem to have smoothing setting, or at least I didn't find one. Nevertheless, if I put 50 dB scale on the distortion graph, not much is visible at this volume...

L-spl 97 dB.png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
MMM of L and R of my KEF LS50 Anniversary desktop system with full band EQ:

1609583726476.png

(room size approximately 3x6x2,5m, placement close to the front wall, stereo triangle size approximately 1,2 meters)

MMM of L and R of my KEF LS50 Meta sofa listening system with EQ up to only 500 Hz:

1609583959391.png

(room size approximately 3x6x2,5m, placement 50 cm to the front wall, stereo triangle size approximately 1,9 meters)

Last edited:

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Kali LP-6
The speakers are standing at the edge of a table >0.5m from the front wall. They're ~1m apart and LP is ~1.2-1.3m away.
The room is sealed and the size is ~5.0x3.4x2.3m (LxWxH).

MMM 16384-point 1/24 octave RTA using Hann window. Var smoothing.
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

avanti1960

Harbeth SHL5+, smoothed to 1/6 octave (gold)
2X RELT9i + Harbeths (magenta)

No EQ used, measured at the listening position.

SPL is non-calibrated.

KoBX0o.jpg

Dimifoot

Forum Donor

SPL is non-calibrated.

KoBX0o.jpg
Have you tried reversing sub phase? It’s important to fill the null from 60-100Hz

fun

Below is the measurement (var smoothing) of my setup. It's a 5.1 system, but the measurement is 2.1 (front left/right + sub) at listening position. No EQ and room treatment. How does it look to you guys? Would EQ (e.g. Audyssey), room treatment, dual-sub etc. help much?

REW.jpg

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Below is the measurement (var smoothing) of my setup. It's a 5.1 system, but the measurement is 2.1 (front left/right + sub) at listening position. No EQ and room treatment. How does it look to you guys? Would EQ (e.g. Audyssey), room treatment, dual-sub etc. help much?

View attachment 103737

Your sub needs +4 or 5 dbs
And yes, dual subs and equalization will help

Reactions: fun

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

SPL is non-calibrated.

KoBX0o.jpg

Harbeth is one of the few vintage aesthetic speakers I'm really interested in. I love the looks, and the measurements seem pretty good. I also love how objective Alan is when it comes to openly stating that all amplifiers, dacs, pre-amps, ect. should sound exactly the same or else they're poorly designed. I'm sure many great speaker designers know that to be true, but Alan is one of the few that I've seen that is brave enough to admit it :).

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 103737

I would say "yes". You've got too much mid, low mid, upper bass, and upper mid. Can you turn up the subs? You'd actually have a really great curve if the response below 150Hz were lifted up substantially.

fun

I would say "yes". You've got too much mid, low mid, upper bass, and upper mid. Can you turn up the subs? You'd actually have a really great curve if the response below 150Hz were lifted up substantially.
Thank you for the feedbacks. That's very helpful. Yes, I can turn up the sub by increasing the volume level at the sub itself (currently at 12 o'clock) or increase the subwoofer level at the AV receiver. I will go the latter route first and see how that works out.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MMM of L and R of my KEF LS50 Anniversary desktop system with full band EQ:

View attachment 103064
(room size approximately 3x6x2,5m, placement close to the front wall, stereo triangle size approximately 1,2 meters)

MMM of L and R of my KEF LS50 Meta sofa listening system with EQ up to only 500 Hz:

View attachment 103067
(room size approximately 3x6x2,5m, placement 50 cm to the front wall, stereo triangle size approximately 1,9 meters)

It looks like you're purposefully flat to 1-2k?, and then roll off above that? I'm curious to try that. Would you mind sharing your target curve? How would you say it compares to the Harman target curves?

Senior NEET Engineer

I forgot what smoothing I used. Either psychoacoustic, variable, or 1/3. Disabled room EQ filter above 300hz.

The slope seems to be flatter than the other ones. From 100hz to 10khz is only 2 dB. I'm wondering if my placement has something to do with it. Room dimension is 21 x 13 x 11. I sit 13 ft from rear wall.

ycjaHOr.png

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I forgot what smoothing I used. Either psychoacoustic, variable, or 1/3. Disabled room EQ filter above 300hz.

The slope seems to be flatter than the other ones. From 100hz to 10khz is only 2 dB. I'm wondering if my placement has something to do with it. Room dimension is 21 x 13 x 11. I sit 13 ft from rear wall.

ycjaHOr.png
I wouldn't mess with what you already have.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Harbeth is one of the few vintage aesthetic speakers I'm really interested in.

They caught my ear during the couple of minutes I listened to them at the show two years ago.

Two weeks ago I bought a cheap used copy of the CD* of what they were playing during my visit.

Sounded just as good here, so I have to adjust my perception of the speakers, at least a little, and lay more at the feet of what was playing than what was playing it.

*Dream With Dean

avanti1960

Have you tried reversing sub phase? It’s important to fill the null from 60-100Hz
yes sir, i have tried most everything to fix that null but no luck. pulling the speakers away from the wall 4 to 5 feet would work but not yet practical until i do some room reorg.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like you're purposefully flat to 1-2k?, and then roll off above that? I'm curious to try that. Would you mind sharing your target curve? How would you say it compares to the Harman target curves?
Yes, flat till 1 kHz and then dropping to -6 dB at 20 kHz, the curve was made by the known mastering engineer Bob Katz as it fitted his Genelec 8260 very well, see here more https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...man-curve-for-loudspeakers.18782/#post-614665
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ike-to-see-reviewed.10943/page-25#post-359319

As I write there it must fit though to your loudspeaker directivity and room reverberation curves. To see that look at the responses without EQ (of course only if you have linear loudspeakers with smooth directivity) and imagine a target curve which goes approximately through the middle of the room peaks and dips, which it does at my setups quite well:

1609831562460.png

The 10dB straight falling Harman curve has in my room too much bass and the other "ski slope" Harman one also doesn't sound as right and neutral to me as it doesn't match my non EQ curves so good.

Top Bottom