• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Piotr

It's okay to have a delay. Annouce a new date and please stick to it. Otherwise following terms: "as soon as possible", "after New Year", "we hope it will be soon" just bring anxiety and discomfort to your future, potential customers. Will it be the 2nd of January or 15th of March, nobody really knows.

deafenears

Forum Donor
It's okay to have a delay. Annouce a new date and please stick to it. Otherwise following terms: "as soon as possible", "after New Year", "we hope it will be soon" just bring anxiety and discomfort to your future, potential customers. Will it be the 2nd of January or 15th of March, nobody really knows.
Can't really announce if it's out of their control and with the hands of MQA for certification.

Perhaps they can ship it with a FW that disables MQA, then ship out a new FW enabling MQA once certified.

Fjfjsh

Yeah not sure what happened with X16, as in why did it go on sale then suddenly all orders cancelled or delayed. I don't know if MQA just stopped everything because they wanted a bigger piece of the pie or they just didn't know how to certify a chip with MQA built into it. I would like to think the blame sits with MQA and not Gustard. I think for a manufacturer to join a forum to keep their customers informed when they themselves are faced with uncertainty speaks volumes about their character. All Gustard can really do at this point is damage control and continue to keep us informed.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Can't really announce if it's out of their control and with the hands of MQA for certification.

Perhaps they can ship it with a FW that disables MQA, then ship out a new FW enabling MQA once certified.
That's explicitly prohibited by MQA. Any types of switches to turn off MQA is not allowed.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yeah not sure what happened with X16, as in why did it go on sale then suddenly all orders cancelled or delayed. I don't know if MQA just stopped everything because they wanted a bigger piece of the pie or they just didn't know how to certify a chip with MQA built into it. I would like to think the blame sits with MQA and not Gustard. I think for a manufacturer to join a forum to keep their customers informed when they themselves are faced with uncertainty speaks volumes about their character. All Gustard can really do at this point is damage control and continue to keep us informed.
Though I hate MQA most of the time, but trying to push out devices without going through the certification process is something else. This has to be done before releasing a product not after. That, has been done before, it's just this time it's caught red handed.

Fjfjsh

Though I hate MQA most of the time, but trying to push out devices without going through the certification process is something else. This has to be done before releasing a product not after. That, has been done before, it's just this time it's caught red handed.

I'm not privy to what happens in the industry but was this a common practice before MQA decided to crack down?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm not privy to what happens in the industry but was this a common practice before MQA decided to crack down?
No. All companies work closely with MQA for a couple of months in the process of design before mass production. Including sending machine over, certification, tracking down small issues etc.

gustard

Audio Company
"X16-This device is waiting for our hearing test. Since our hearing team has already started the Christmas holiday, it will be launched before the new year. It will be one of the first devices to be tested in the new year. I will tell you Provide the latest information."
This is the response we got. We are unable to determine a specific date. It is not that we did not specify a specific date, but that the initiative is not in our hands. They are still on vacation and have not received any updates.
If there is the latest news, we will notify you as soon as possible!
Sorry for any inconveniences caused!

dan kolov

I am very interested in whether the sellers who took our money in advance have in stock Gustard X16?

Veri

Master Contributor
I am very interested in whether the sellers who took our money in advance have in stock Gustard X16?
The issue/delay is supposed to be of a licensing nature...

Qu2XFCN.png

santon

"X16-This device is waiting for our hearing test. Since our hearing team has already started the Christmas holiday, it will be launched before the new year. It will be one of the first devices to be tested in the new year. I will tell you Provide the latest information."
This is the response we got. We are unable to determine a specific date. It is not that we did not specify a specific date, but that the initiative is not in our hands. They are still on vacation and have not received any updates.
If there is the latest news, we will notify you as soon as possible!
Sorry for any inconveniences caused!

Not only incovenience Mr.
I've lost 35 dollars due to currency exchange loss, when I canceled the order from the shop.

So it's not only inconvenience, unless you people find dollars printed from some printer OK ?
So stick to a big Sorry and announce the date to the patient people that still wait your vaporware OK ?

dan kolov

And if, for some reason, someone gets their dac before it is certified and is never certified, then what?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Seriously, people, why would you even speculate that the certification won't happen? Of course it will happen. There is a very, very, very slim chance that Gustard might have done something incorrect while implementing MQA that might delay certification, but that is rather a slim possibility. Many companies presell devices and customers decide if they want to wait. I believe that sellers clearly indicated that the orders were presale orders so nobody should be acting surprised. Where in such circumstances fault can be found with the resellers or manufacturer is when they provide false hope with release dates and keep changing the date. That is very annoying and I personally feel that presale should not happen until reasonably close to the release date, not more than a few months.

ArturoKiwi

Seriously, people, why would you even speculate that the certification won't happen? Of course it will happen. There is a very, very, very slim chance that Gustard might have done something incorrect while implementing MQA that might delay certification, but that is rather a slim possibility. Many companies presell devices and customers decide if they want to wait. I believe that sellers clearly indicated that the orders were presale orders so nobody should be acting surprised. Where in such circumstances fault can be found with the resellers or manufacturer is when they provide false hope with release dates and keep changing the date. That is very annoying and I personally feel that presale should not happen until reasonably close to the release date, not more than a few months.
Not to mention that the MQA capability is inside the Sabre chip.
I don't think that they made it in the wrong way.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gustard has some (recent) experience with MQA in the A22 and A18, so why would it be different with the X16 ?
It's simply a momentum issue as per @gustard 's explanation.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Gustard has some (recent) experience with MQA in the A22 and A18, so why would it be different with the X16 ?
It's simply a momentum issue as per @gustard 's explanation.
A22 and A18 aren't MQA certified either none of Gustards products are,hopefully that'll change in the future.

Top Bottom