• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
You know, mostly typical stuff:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x/M50xBT, M70x, R70x, MSR7b
AKG K371/K371BT
Sennheiser HD560s
Sony WH-1000XM3/XM4

But more than those I'm curious to see someone review the Anker Q30. The sub-$100 ANC Bluetooth over-ear headphone market is starting to fill up with legit competition and I think we're going to see some gems among the junk that might satisfy people looking at the more expensive Bose and Sony options. JBL have some options in that range as well. TaoTronics may be in there somewhere too, but it sounds like they're still working out QC.

SpinifexV

I'm curious about any "reference grade" headphones (as their manufacturers claim), especially those that fly under the radar. After all, the usual gang is already talking about, reviewing and measuring the HD560S, the Drop HE5XX, et al., often before they are even released. But finding anything about, for example, the Avantone Pro Planar or the Ollo S4X is pretty hard, except for far too enthusiastic/excited forum posters.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I ordered the Ollo s4x from a local distributor in Québec, since they offered a 30-days return guarantee and $100 rebate, so I would be extremely interested in a review with full measurements.

Last edited:

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Personally I'm very curious about having another set of measurements for current ANC BT headphones (Beats Solo Pro, Bose 700, Momentum 3, etc...).

Sonny

Forum Donor
Which phones don't we want to be tested? - "Audeze, Audeze, Audeze !!!!!!"

Ehehe ;-)
Jokes apart, why not? It's funny to see how many other reviewers have failed (or nailed) their reviews.
I have an AKG K701 modded, many iems and the Audeze LCD2 classic and it's not that another review will change my idea about how much I like them. especially the LCD2 classic, which I like a lot. Still I'm very curious about Amir measurement, at least I'll have an informative set of data to see if my ears feels what he measures, and I'll know exaclty why I like them so much with some recordings.

I'm the opinion that the beauty of headphones is what differentiate them, not what makes them sound the same.

Last edited:

SpinifexV

Ollo S4X
Avantone Pro Planar

Exactly the two I asked for a week ago!

Since then, I have bought the Ollo S4X from a local dealer, since there is a 30-day guaranty. The sound is pretty good, well-extended and dynamic, with a certain emphasis on the Bass region (not bloated at all, luckily, but the Bass can overwhelm the treble in certain songs). I can hear the actual bass guitar strings on certain well-recorded songs from RUSH and REVEREND BIZARRE. There's a nice strong attack from the drums (really feel the air pressure), and the decay from the high notes feel natural. It is semi-open at best: there is little soundstage, no air, and blocking the back of the driver does not affect the sound at all.

It would easily have been a keeper, except for one factor: comfort. The pads are too small for me and I either have to use them on-ear, or have my ears bent in the pads. Neither is comfortable for me. I'm still wavering, but I am considering sending them back and ordering the Avantone.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Since then, I have bought the Ollo S4X from a local dealer, since there is a 30-day guaranty. The sound is pretty good, well-extended and dynamic, with a certain emphasis on the Bass region (not bloated at all, luckily, but the Bass can overwhelm the treble in certain songs). I can hear the actual bass guitar strings on certain well-recorded songs from RUSH and REVEREND BIZARRE. There's a nice strong attack from the drums (really feel the air pressure), and the decay from the high notes feel natural. It is semi-open at best: there is little soundstage, no air, and blocking the back of the driver does not affect the sound at all.

It would easily have been a keeper, except for one factor: comfort. The pads are too small for me and I either have to use them on-ear, or have my ears bent in the pads. Neither is comfortable for me. I'm still wavering, but I am considering sending them back and ordering the Avantone.
That sounds super annoying, I can't imagine having to bend my ears into my headphones each time I put them on, I think you should keep looking.

UpTo11

Thanks for your impressions!
They are usually described as neutral/flat, but It seems that you find them warm, isn't it?
What about detail? Do you find them laid back or veiled?

SpinifexV

That sounds super annoying, I can't imagine having to bend my ears into my headphones each time I put them on, I think you should keep looking.

It's not painful, but it is irritating: my ears sometimes touch the material covering the driver. I am trying to wear them like slightly bigger Grados (resting on the upper part of my ear), but I am not optimist this will work on the long term.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not painful, but it is irritating: my ears sometimes touch the material covering the driver. I am trying to wear them like slightly bigger Grados (resting on the upper part of my ear), but I am not optimist this will work on the long term.
It probably won't make a great seal if it's sitting on your ears when it's not designed to, so will effect the sound, particularly the bass. You're best off measuring your ears and then comparing that to information re inner pad size / inner cup size whatever it's called, that way you can order something that will fit you. For instance this website lists the sizes for some different headphones: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/akg/k371/

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beyerdynamic DT-150 with DT-100 velour pads. One of the most neutral closed "budget" headphones, IMO.

SpinifexV

Thanks for your impressions!
They are usually described as neutral/flat, but It seems that you find them warm, isn't it?
What about detail? Do you find them laid back or veiled?

I would not say warm or veiled: compared to my good old HD600, they definitely have better definition and instrument separation, as well as extension on both sides. Switching between the S4X and the HD600, the latter loses on almost all points, except comfort and openness.

As I said, they do sound closed-in (there's no air, I describe them as semi-open, at best, if not outright closed headphones) and their sound signature has a slight tilt down from bass to treble (we're talking something like a +3dB bass shelf and a slope in treble, which is clearly visible in Ollo's measurements). This means that A) Bass can overwhelm the treble in certain songs, and B) They do not have the Beyer /Hifiman peak in the treble that is associated to "presence" and/or "clarity".

They are also the opposite of laid-back for dynamics: the drums on the S4X have excellent slam and definition. Something that is mostly associated with close headphones too...

thomz6

Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250ohm
I think the sound is good with EQ and for his price very attractive with a good spatialisation

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250ohm
I think the sound is good with EQ and for his price very attractive with a good spatialisation
Love to test this given its popularity. Anyone in US wants to loan me one? It is out of stuck on Amazon.

Top Bottom