• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spectrum Analyzer Recommendations

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You want something like these Hp 3500 series units with a display that graphs an FFT on it.
1609101068771.png

Unfortunately after going very low for a time working or refurbed units have rebounded in price. Usually over $3k now. The 3582a covered .2 hz up to 26.5 khz. Other models covered a broader range up to 40 mhz.

The earlier 3580a covers 5 hz to 50 khz, and goes for $1500 or so.

For the life of me I don't know why you'd go this route. It can't be about making the measurements. Maybe just wanting to recreate using analog gear or something I suppose. A cheap or old laptop, REW and a $250 recording interface would be better in terms of actual use.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Audio Precision Portable One is what people use in this situation. It is $3K used though.

Hurm.

I'm willing to pay $800-1000 for luggability and not having to disconnect my RME from the DAW.

I'd have to think about how lazy I want to be for $3K.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For the life of me I don't know why you'd go this route. It can't be about making the measurements. Maybe just wanting to recreate using analog gear or something I suppose. A cheap or old laptop, REW and a $250 recording interface would be better in terms of actual use.

Laziness to disconnect my ADC, plus, I spend my life working on a keyboard.

It feels more like I'm working if I use a computer, as opposed to enjoying a hobby.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hurm.

I'm willing to pay $800-1000 for luggability and not having to disconnect my RME from the DAW.

I'd have to think about how lazy I want to be for $3K.

This one seems to be half that price, not sure why. When I searched German eBay these also seemed to vary wildly in price (1380€ - 2900€). Perhaps I'm missing something...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe Fluke has some portable units they call ScopeMeter which might do what you want. Have to dig into the manual and see if they are suitable for audio frequencies and have enough dynamic range. They aren't the quality of the one Amir pointed to, but they also cost much less.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I believe Fluke has some portable units they call ScopeMeter which might do what you want. Have to dig into the manual and see if they are suitable for audio frequencies and have enough dynamic range. They aren't the quality of the one Amir pointed to, but they also cost much less.

The ScopeMeters look like o-scope / DMM combos, at first glance.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Exactly, and when you bolt all that down in a single box / suitcase you have your lightweight standalone gear "that doesn't need to plug into a computer" right there which will be better and more practical in every regard one could think of that any old boat anchor refurbished "old-school" analyzer.
I don't get it....

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Exactly, and when you bolt all that down in a single box / suitcase you have your lightweight standalone gear "that doesn't need to plug into a computer" right there which will be better and more practical in every regard one could think of that any old boat anchor refurbished "old-school" analyzer.
I don't get it....

Well, since I can't get what I was hoping for at a price less than $5k, I may have no other choice.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Measuring signal tones, sweeps, and pink noise from reel to reel tape decks and cartridges.
I know you don't want a PC based solution, but a hardware analyzer is not going to be able to give you as detailed resolution as a software one. The one I have gives 1/24th octave resolution, and others are probably better than that. Also, a good audio interface is likely to have lower self noise than the input section of a hardware analyzer of any reasonable price. Technology marches on, and RTA programs are cheap and plentiful.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I know you don't want a PC based solution, but a hardware analyzer is not going to be able to give you as detailed resolution as a software one. The one I have gives 1/24th octave resolution, and others are probably better than that. Also, a good audio interface is likely to have lower self noise than the input section of a hardware analyzer of any reasonable price.

I've now caved to the idea that I won't be knob twisting but instead mouse clicking.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I've now caved to the idea that I won't be knob twisting but instead mouse clicking.
Just a suggestion based on a problem I had with audio interfaces; make sure that the DAC section has a sharp HF rolloff filter, otherwise the ultrasonic crud can influence your measurements (especially if you're trying to do distortion measurements). Many DACs have relatively slow filters these days (ask Amir!). I use a relatively old TC Electronic interface for this reason.

Top Bottom