• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P / 708P

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Trinnov does come ( now) with one pre loaded target curves, the sound quality in my room improved when Christopher Faller of Illusonic created the EQ.
Keith

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is the AES interface asynchronous? Is it pretty standard for components to buffer this input and re-clock like they do with USB/XMOS?
No. AES is pro/balanced version of S/PDIF. It is almost identical to S/PDIF so runs synchronous.

Scott Borduin

Forum Donor
Alert: Stupid questions below!

3. If I buy these, I will want to stream to my PC and connect the PC to these. Any recommendations for USB to AES converters?

Note that typically anything that accepts AES will also accept SPDIF with the correct matching transformer. I've used the Canare BJC-XP-TRC transformers with success on 3 different pro audio interfaces. Since the transformers have BNC input jacks, you also need BNC->RCA adapters, which are readily available and cheap. There is also a version of the transformer for AES->SPDIF, which I've also used succcessfully.

Last edited:

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They have arrived!

708P.JPG
708P2.JPG
708P3.JPG

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard them when I took a trip to Harman and knew I had to have them at some point. First I got the M2's and now the 708P's.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149780.0

So basically your saying having owned the M2's you then find JBL's latest to be even better and cost a small fraction as much. ;)

More seriously a description of the 708 vs the M2 seems like it would be interesting from someone blessed with both.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I wish that standard would infiltrate consumer gear more.
I’m not a fan of Dante. I think all of the AES67 implementations have a way to go. But I’m happy for the things they can do.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So basically your saying having owned the M2's you then find JBL's latest to be even better and cost a small fraction as much. ;)

More seriously a description of the 708 vs the M2 seems like it would be interesting from someone blessed with both.

I hate giving my subjective opinions on audio equipment. I'll say this though. When I was at Harman they had the 705P, 708P and M2's setup in their room on an Intona. You can blindly listen and switch speakers without knowing what is playing. I failed 50% of the time on what was playing. They said that only really well trained listeners of those speakers which at the time were the engineers can do better. A lot of it depends on the content that is playing of course. Small speakers simply aren't able to produce the bass but you'd be shocked at how much you would fail too. So before you ask the question "why did you get the M2 then?". The simple answer is because I can and didn't want to have the "what if" over my head. In the end I couldn't be happier with the M2 and have ZERO regret. The 708P will be for a second system unless I move again where the M2 isn't able to be used if it was a very small space. The 708P is pretty spectacular though!

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate giving my subjective opinions on audio equipment. I'll say this though. When I was at Harman they had the 705P, 708P and M2's setup in their room on an Intona. You can blindly listen and switch speakers without knowing what is playing. I failed 50% of the time on what was playing. They said that only really well trained listeners of those speakers which at the time were the engineers can do better. A lot of it depends on the content that is playing of course. Small speakers simply aren't able to produce the bass but you'd be shocked at how much you would fail too. So before you ask the question "why did you get the M2 then?". The simple answer is because I can and didn't want to have the "what if" over my head. In the end I couldn't be happier with the M2 and have ZERO regret. The 708P will be for a second system unless I move again where the M2 isn't able to be used if it was a very small space. The 708P is pretty spectacular though!

Thanks. Very interesting to read. It seems to me like a pair of 705p together with a pair of cheap subs and a bass management system (multi-sub optimizer for example) would provide pretty spectacular value for money these days.

Top Bottom