• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MartinLogan Motion 4i Review (bookshelf speaker)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the MartinLogan 4i speaker. I purchased this from Amazon a couple of months ago. It costs US $188.

The design of the 4i is unique and gives a feeling of quality/luxury:

MartinLogan Motion 4i  Review Bookshelf Speaker.jpg

As you see it has an AMT tweeter and woofer. I thought the bottom thing was some kind of port. Alas, it seems to just be a belly button. :) The port runs into it so maybe it does something:

MartinLogan Motion 4i  Review Bookshelf Speaker Mounting Back Panel.jpg

The binding posts are spring loaded and very difficult to terminate with bare wire. I guess it is designed to be flush mounted to the wall but then what happens to the port?

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I performed over 800 measurement which resulted in error rate of less than 1% throughout the range.

Temperature was 60 degrees F. Measurement location is at sea level so you compute the pressure.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

Reference axis was the tweeter center.

MartinLogan 4i Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

MartinLogan Motion 4i  Measurements CEA-2034 Spinorama Frequency Response.png

Gosh, what were they thinking with that tilting up response? Sounding good in a showroom? But what showroom these days? Folks buy things online but maybe it impacts the first impression. Aside from that we also see a lot of little peaks that indicate resonances. You can see the source of some in the near-field response of the radiating elements:

MartinLogan Motion 4i  Measurements driver and port speaker Frequency Response.png

That tall resonance peak from the port around 850 Hz is unfortunate. I also can't figure out why the port is tuned so low. Would it not be better to be tuned a bit higher so that it provides more support for upper frequencies that are sagging right now?

Early window response shows some additional issues:

MartinLogan Motion 4i  Measurements CEA-2034 Spinorama Early Window Reflections Frequency Resp...png

Combined we are going to have a bass-shy, bright speaker:

MartinLogan Motion 4i  Measurements CEA-2034 Spinorama Predicted In-room  Frequency Response.png

Normally we like to see that arrow point down almost 10 dB. Here it is hardly doing so which means perceptual effect would be one of brightness.

The little woofer distorts a lot as well:
MartinLogan Motion 4i  Measurements relative distortion.png

MartinLogan Motion 4i  Measurements THD distortion.png

Directivity story is good though:

MartinLogan Motion 4i  Measurements horizontal beamwidth.png

MartinLogan Motion 4i  Measurements horizontal directivity.png

MartinLogan Motion 4i  Measurements Vertical directivity.png

Here is our impedance:

MartinLogan Motion 4i  Measurements Speaker Impedance and Phase.png

Dips to below 3 ohm so better have a decent amplifier.

MartinLogan 4i Speaker Listening Tests
I always start with my female vocals. For all of two seconds the sound was OK and then became so jarring and sharp. High pitched as you can get. And not clean either. Switching to bass heavy tracks resulted in no reproduction of lower notes resulting the overall volume noticeably going down. Boosted the bass a bit with EQ which helped tonality but the terrible fidelity of the highs remained so I gave up.

Conclusions
Martin Logan marketing material talks a lot about them bringing down the sound of their electrostatic speakers to these boxed units. Well, if this is the sound of their electrostatic speakers, heaven help them all! The 4i is basically a pretty screech box. OK, I am being a bit harsh. But just a little. This is basically a "lifestyle" speaker designed to look good. The sound it produces if not that fit for consumption.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the MartinLogan 4i speaker.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Martin Logan Motion 4i Spinorama.zip
    87.1 KB · Views: 184

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Wow,
this is a good one to follow that NHT review with as they have similar sizing and thus I personally will assume compete in a similar market zone.
These measurements are even worse and that 1.5 for the Harman score - yeez.
Funny this speaker has some good mainstream publication reviews out there.
Nice low distortion from the tweeter (for the price) however, so might be cool to see that tweeter used in a better design.
Good sensitivity for such a small driver as well. (that is if it is even worth hearing what it plays...)

I had a pair of ML's & they had what I think is the same tweeter paired with a 5" woofer. They were also bright and the enclosure to small for the driver so the bass was a bit faked. Might be a ML house sound, I obviously don't know that conclusively though. It deff seems like they try for a "uber clarity/ make it bright" marketing angle.

No real meat on this speakers bones.
Anyway thanks for the review.
Looking forward to the next one.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Looks like the speaker comes with a bracket for a wall mount that keeps the port clearance.
Still wondering what that bubble thing on the front is, anyone know??

1609048099808.png

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Apparently it’s where the port folds over. From their website:

1609048516779.jpeg

This speaker would perform better if measured in 2pi space. It’s a pity ML pretends it can be used as a standmount, and not the on-wall speaker it’s clearly designed to be..

wwenze

Major Contributor
How much SPL is lost when travelling through the narrow part of the tube...

Funnily enough, eyeballing the on-axis FR doesn't look too bad. Ignore the high >16kHz which doesn't exist off-axis anyway, and also it has more treble compared to bass, from 500Hz to 10kHz+ it is still within a 5dB variation.
Estimated in-room is too bright for me, but hard to believe this gets a pref rating of 1.5 while the R1280 gets 1.9
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../edifier-r1280t-powered-speaker-review.16112/

Bass is of great importance both subjectively and objectively I guess.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Looks like the speaker comes with a bracket for a wall mount that keeps the port clearance.

View attachment 101782
I wonders a bit of it is intended to be used wall loaded which will boost the bass in the room and try to get a flat in room response which they are targeting?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

View attachment 101783

This speaker would perform better if measured in 2pi space. It’s a pity ML pretends it can be used as a standmount, and not the on-wall speaker it’s clearly designed to be..
Way cool/clever way to extend the port. I never thought of using a larger diameter around a smaller one to fit a longer port. Hmm, this part is pretty dope, I guess that is why that want some visibility as could easily have not shown the bubble/covered it up.

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning

View attachment 101783

Cool~.... But based on the port measurements it didn't seem to help? Then what's the point? And how would such a design change the output if it's against the wall? As opposed to a conventional port against the wall?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool~.... But based on the port measurements it didn't seem to help? Then what's the point? And how would such a design change the output if it's against the wall? As opposed to a conventional port against the wall?

It does help in the sense that a port of only half (or just less than half) the length, tuned to the same frequency, would not be capable of as high output before high distortion/compression.

And ofc it doesn’t eradicate that pipe resonance at about 800Hz, but it does perhaps reduce its amplitude (and certainly its frequency).

Anyway, I’m not convinced execution here is optimal. But the concept itself with the port is clever.

The on-wall thing is a separate topic. I just mentioned it based on the speaker’s relatively shallow design and obvious lack of baffle step compensation, which suggest it was designed to be placed against a boundary.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Reactions: Tks

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Could it be used as a surround speaker? With 120hz below crossed to sub. Maybe brigthness helps for surround speakers? More air :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe ML doesn't know how to design speakers? Looks like it was made to look like it does. And heck with anything else.

Fancy tweeter you can see-check.
Port-check
Fancy port reversal nobbin-check.
Not quite box shaped-check.

Make the plastic box, stuff the parts in and sell them with no real thought otherwise. I bet if you literally made a box, grabbed random woof and tweet with something of a crossover, and stuck it together many such designs would equal this one. Plenty might randomly beat it.

At a bare minimum, ML should sponsor a small box speaker contest for DIY'ers. Offer one of their big ESL's for the top three performing designs. And pick one of them to make. They might well get a much better speaker with minimal developmental costs.

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
Considering the eye watering money that must have gone into tooling it is real shame they didn’t put a bit of the budget into R&D. They could so easily have brought out a class beater. But it seems that, yet again, aesthetic design trumps engineering.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
No comments, presume MLs are revered in the US I suppose :rolleyes:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
No comments, presume MLs are revered in the US I suppose :rolleyes:
People in the US are sleeping...
It’s actually 1:30am on the West Coast.

MartinLogan are sold at about 10% of all Canadian dealers/resellers, so it’s limited in popularity here, when compared to the US.

Wait, I need to sleep too...

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Thank review Amir and happy holidays..

Wow,
this is a good one to follow that NHT review with as they have similar sizing and thus I personally will assume compete in a similar market zone.
These measurements are even worse and that 1.5 for the Harman score - yeez.
Funny this speaker has some good mainstream publication reviews out there.
Nice low distortion from the tweeter (for the price) however, so might be cool to see that tweeter used in a better design.
Good sensitivity for such a small driver as well. (that is if it is even worth hearing what it plays...).....

Looks has less low end than NHT Super Zero 2.1 & Revel M55XC, that said directivity index curve indicate its much better than NHT Super Zero 2.1 so in the hands of the right EQ string the useable bandwidth should could be improved alot..

Rooskie_x1x1_1200mS.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom