• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your daily job ? ... any hobbies ?

a2lowvw

I work in a performance oriented automotive parts and repair shop that specializes in Audi/VW/BMW. Since we are a small organization things such as titles and job descriptions get a bit blurry. I manage our purchasing, inventory control, shipping department and am the go to for machining and fab work when the need arises.

I'm car guy and an avid cyclist, cycling is by far my biggest time and money sponge.

cyruz

Nice thread, I didn't expect all forum members were doing such nice and interesting jobs.

I work as IT & Communication Officer for cruise ships. This means I'm far from home for long periods and my vacations last longer than normal. Covid ruined the business, I hope we will be able to recover in the immediate future.

I graduated in Computer Science. I abandoned Java programming and now I only dedicate myself to scripting in Bash and Autohotkey.

I liked playing futsal but had to stop due to a bad knee injury. Now I spend my free time optimizing and listening to my HiFi system, playing videogames, watching old movies. I'm looking to learn something about trekking... I would like to isolate myself in some woods/mountains for 2/3 days and strengthen my spirit.

Cheers!

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Day Job: Clinical Systems Engineer.
Hobbies: A bit of many things: DJ, avid cyclist, audiophile, fractal artist and photographer.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm a Church of England priest, now looking after several rural churches/parishes. I suppose that it's fairly unusual to have my job and be drawn to a audio-science forum, but it's fair to say that I've spent my whole career going against the grain. I'm far more likely to listen to Bonnie 'Prince' Billy and Bill Callahan than I am to listen to Billy Graham.

It is unlikely that I will ever climb the greasy pole of ecclesiastical advancement.

Last edited:

lambda_unit

Hi! I'm a physicist working on nuclear fusion. My hobbies include windsurfing, kiteboarding, bicycling, camping, and tinkering (I'm working on an Arduino-controlled magnetic levitation project, repairing my old Schwinn Varsity, and building a van de Graaf generator.)

I see there a bunch of us engineering/science types, so it's interesting that we also have some variety too.

Redbeard65

Forum Donor
Software Engineer (Semiconductor industry, 30 years) turned into IT manager 4 years ago.

Hobbies; Model Railroading, model building and music nut.
The audio equipment and reproduction chain is a means to an end of getting maximum enjoyment out of the music. It has turned into another hobby in itself over the years.

mugbot

Forum Donor
Day Job: Power Systems Engineer
Hobbies: Roasting and making coffee, audio (obviously), video games (where time permits, so not a lot these days)

DrJ

What an interesting and diverse lot we have here!

In my day job, I own an early-stage life-sciences company that is developing liquid biopsy methods to discover biomarkers for original cancer diagnosis and recurrence.

Hobbies: see day job. Start-ups are all-consuming.

In addition, I hold an academic appointment in the Viticulture and Enology department at arguably the best University for this field in the world. I am an amateur vintner, and I've learned that it is easy to make wine, but it is hard to make *good* wine. My wife and I enjoy cuisines from around the world; my wife is a brilliant cook and baker. And yes, we enjoy the fruits of the vine.

Music has been in my blood since I was nine years old. I have toured the world as a principal symphony trumpet player, and I still tinkle on the piano (Baltimore Knabe) in spite of my lack of talent. Here I play baroque through the romantics, though many works I just cannot touch.

I have been involved with audio since I was in high school, primarily in the design and building of loudspeakers. My current project is rebuilding a pair of Beveridge Model 3s.

FWIW, my nom de blog was given to me by my reports back in the day. This was back in the Julius Erving era of American basketball, and I was (and am) a tall skinny boy who holds a PhD (Berkeley) with an unpronounceable last name that starts with the letter "J.". It has stuck.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
What an interesting and diverse lot we have here!

In my day job, I own an early-stage life-sciences company that is developing liquid biopsy methods to discover biomarkers for original cancer diagnosis and recurrence.

Hobbies: see day job. Start-ups are all-consuming.

In addition, I hold an academic appointment in the Viticulture and Enology department at arguably the best University for this field in the world. I am an amateur vintner, and I've learned that it is easy to make wine, but it is hard to make *good* wine. My wife and I enjoy cuisines from around the world; my wife is a brilliant cook and baker. And yes, we enjoy the fruits of the vine.

Music has been in my blood since I was nine years old. I have toured the world as a principal symphony trumpet player, and I still tinkle on the piano (Baltimore Knabe) in spite of my lack of talent. Here I play baroque through the romantics, though many works I just cannot touch.

I have been involved with audio since I was in high school, primarily in the design and building of loudspeakers. My current project is rebuilding a pair of Beveridge Model 3s.

FWIW, my nom de blog was given to me by my reports back in the day. This was back in the Julius Erving era of American basketball, and I was (and am) a tall skinny boy who holds a PhD (Berkeley) with an unpronounceable last name that starts with the letter "J.". It has stuck.
Welcome! And please visit our wine thread:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wine-thread-what-are-you-enjoying.12868/

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Well, basically an IT&C Engineer, mostly involved into Hardware and Systems administration, a bit into Security and INFOSEC related activities, but did some video surveillance systems projects and installations in the past too. Of course, I do love electronics and AV equipment, also the audiophile world.

makinao

Lifelong: Technophile and Musician.
Full-time: Tenured university professor in Art Studies.
Part-time: Session musician. Record producer.
Recreation: Tennis, Swimming.

Last edited:

Trdat

Forum Donor
My passions are music, of course, literally all types, especially pre-WWII jazz and country. A great interest is linguistics, especially comparative linguistics for very old languages and protolanguages. I have an irrational interest in tube audio, and I’m learning some basic electronics and soldering with the goal of building an amp on my own.

I enjoy linguistics as well!

mo6020

I'm a technical product manager at a data protection startup (I think I can still call us a startup, anyway) from Palo Alto, coincidentally the same one @terasankka works at. I'm based out of London, but pre-pandemic was lucky enough to spend a large chunk of my time in the Bay Area, too. My background is mostly in solution architecture and pre/post sales consultancy, this is my first role in Product. I also spent 6ish years in the British Army when I was in my mid-20s.

Outside of work I like most nerdy things (computers, comics, RPGs, Warhammer, etc), most kinds of type 2 fun (particularly endurance events), functional fitness, and pretty much anything music related. I played in a moderately successful (as in we actually got paid to play, and toured the UK a couple of times) punk band in the early 00s, and studied music/production at Uni before I dropped out to concentrate on gigging. I still play guitar, altho sadly don't play many gigs anymore..

Music-wise I like most genres, but mostly listen to alt-rock from the 90s (Afghan Whigs, Quicksand, Smashing Pumpkins,etc), classic rock from the 70s (Led Zep, Sabbath, Skynyrd, all that jazz), and whatever guitar based noise I can stuff into my ears.

NYfan2

Forum Donor
In daily life I'm an electrical engineer, our company builts machine for the Tissue industry and I design the controls and do a bit of software also.
Parttime I have my own company in professional audio and light (mainly light)

Hobbies, too much, cycling, go to the gym, aikido, play bass guitar, board member at the local radio station, woodworking, listen to music ;)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always wanted to study the "starry dynamo in the machinery of night" but changed majors Jr. year.

Top Bottom