• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Clear Review (headphone)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Drop /focal pads? In what way?
Almost everyone who placed an order, ordered a pair, waited forever for their arrival only to receive one single, solitary pad. After multiple emails from Drop apologizing for the SNAFU and repeated promises we would shortly receive the 2nd pad, they finally just sent the 2nd pad for free and refunded everyone's money. This process took a long time. They even blamed Focal for the screw-up and the quality of the pads when they were finally delivered.
Screenshot_20201222-214145_Chrome.jpg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had the Focal Clear for about 2 years now and I have to say I never found them to be lacking in bass. Yes, the headphones have some harshness in the treble, but it is only pronounced on music that is already a little hot. Using cables that are higher gauge, all but eliminate that harshness or at least cover it up, by filling out the sound with more low end. I suggest the Canare 4S6, which is 20awg. This being said, these are the most pleasing and neutral-sounding headphones I have ever come across, although I have not tried the ZMF Auteur, which is said to be amazing.

Also, I don't think your assessment that bottoming out when adding bass is a big demerit. Any headphones when you turn up the bass will start to crackle at normal levels. I have tried that with Sony, Denon, and Sennheiser headphones and all 3 began do distort when I pumped up the bass.

Anyone on this forum listen to or have the Auteur, care to share their impressions?
Yes I tried Amir's test track with the Senn HD 58X Jubilees as well and they distorted terribly but didn't "pop".

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I bet I can make some that change the sound too. :p

Everyone can ... my recipe for those headphone specific cables are public and freely available on the web.
One can even make one for the Utopia with an extra 10 Ohm series resistance and emulate the expensive Focal amp for peanuts.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Almost everyone who placed an order, ordered a pair, waited forever for their arrival only to receive one single, solitary pad. After multiple emails from Drop apologizing for the SNAFU and repeated promises we would shortly receive the 2nd pad, they finally just sent the 2nd pad for free and refunded everyone's money. This process took a long time. They even blamed Focal for the screw-up and the quality of the pads when they were finally delivered.

Glad to be not almost everyone. Ordered a pair and received two in perfect condition. Did not have to wait that long. Largest delay was customs clearance in Germany.

Feelas

Like with speaker wire, if you use 24 gauge cable, you will have no bass. Also, the insulation used will affect the highs. If you don't believe me, try making some cables using a cable that uses cellular polypropylene/polyethylene and report back.

I'd love to see that measured out, if you don't mind doing this? We would surely love to learn something new and try to quantify the impact, if it exists.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost everyone who placed an order, ordered a pair, waited forever for their arrival only to receive one single, solitary pad. After multiple emails from Drop apologizing for the SNAFU and repeated promises we would shortly receive the 2nd pad, they finally just sent the 2nd pad for free and refunded everyone's money. This process took a long time. They even blamed Focal for the screw-up and the quality of the pads when they were finally delivered.View attachment 101095

Whooops! Explains why they havent done it since!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad to be not almost everyone. Ordered a pair and received two in perfect condition. Did not have to wait that long. Largest delay was customs clearance in Germany.
The pads we received were noticeably different than the pads that came on the Elex. That was the biggest issue- the wait was ludicrous but receiving thinner pads was the deal- breaker for most. Go to the Drop site and look at the discussion thread for an entertaining read.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Go to the Drop site and look at the discussion thread for an entertaining read.

My firsthand experience was different. Received two pads identical to those on my headphone. What can I say.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JIW

A sensible, intelligent choice. Going by measurements on here, the S9 (the S8, S9, S10, Note8 & Note9 all use the same WCD9341 DAC/amp) has a max output of ~0.98V. Reference Audio Analyzer measured the Clear to have a sensitivity of ~111 dB SPL/V - that gives a max output using the S9 of 0.98 * 111 ~ 109 dB SPL. Peaks at that level correspond to average levels of around 95-100 dB SPL, which is very loud. If anyone is comfortably/routinely listening at those kind of levels they either already have noise-induced hearing loss (or presbycusis), or they are well on their way towards it if they continue to do so.

The relation between voltage and SPL is logarithmic rather than linear. A 2% decrease in voltage level gives only a 0.2 dB decrease in SPL (20*log10(0.98) = -0.1755 dB).

Also keep in mind that the maximum output of the S9 is given as the RMS voltage for a sine wave. The peak voltage is thus greater by a factor of square root of 2, i.e. ~1.41 or 3.01 dB, i.e. peak voltage is ~1.4 V. This gives peak SPL at max output of ~2.8 dB above sensitivity at 1 V, i.e. 113-114 dB.

Depending on the music, average levels could thus be well above 100 dB SPL. As discussed above, however, the frequency distribution of the signal is crucial in determining how loud this is. A 30 Hz tone at 114 dB SPL is as loud as a 1 kHz tone at 80 dB SPL (80 phon) whereas even a 40 Hz tone at 114 dB SPL is as loud as a 1 kHz tone at 100 dB SPL (100 phon). Further, 100 dB SPL average at 50 Hz is as loud as 80 dB SPL average at 1 kHz whereas 100 dB SPL average at 200 Hz is about as loud as 100 dB SPL average at 1 kHz. The former, I would still consider only loud while the latter would be very loud indeed.
Lindos1.svg

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lindos1.svg

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
You're a lucky man.

I am indeed. Except my first Elex was broken, and the replacement had to go through drop. Insane shipping cost, double import tax and customs duty (about 20 percent). So lucky I not always am.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I may as well report that the Monolith M570's beat down the test tracks with ease. I can max out the THX 789 on full gain, and I'm sure I could go further if my D50S put out more voltage. I only hear a fair amount of mid-bloat at high levels, but no clipping or any nastiness. Heh, my ears feel the rush of air like a subwoofer port. I don't really care to listen to these kind of levels. I'm happy with 40-50% volume on high gain. I guess the whole point of a torture test here is to see how much room you have between typical listening levels and coloration/distortion.

I'll suggest another track to pump out tons of sub bass.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Public service announcement: Please leave listing at these levels to qualified machines. It will impair your hearing within minutes.

Noodles

Oh my ... i knew it wasn't just me that had a problem with this headphone. On my A90 and previously on the 789 it sounded so weird ... metallic, slightly crunchy and shouty AF.
I think i will stick to the HD800 for now :)

bobbooo

Major Contributor
The relation between voltage and SPL is logarithmic rather than linear. A 2% decrease in voltage level gives only a 0.2 dB decrease in SPL (20*log10(0.98) = -0.1755 dB).

Also keep in mind that the maximum output of the S9 is given as the RMS voltage for a sine wave. The peak voltage is thus greater by a factor of square root of 2, i.e. ~1.41 or 3.01 dB, i.e. peak voltage is ~1.4 V. This gives peak SPL at max output of ~2.8 dB above sensitivity at 1 V, i.e. 113-114 dB.

Depending on the music, average levels could thus be well above 100 dB SPL. As discussed above, however, the frequency distribution of the signal is crucial in determining how loud this is. A 30 Hz tone at 114 dB SPL is as loud as a 1 kHz tone at 80 dB SPL (80 phon) whereas even a 40 Hz tone at 114 dB SPL is as loud as a 1 kHz tone at 100 dB SPL (100 phon). Further, 100 dB SPL average at 50 Hz is as loud as 80 dB SPL average at 1 kHz whereas 100 dB SPL average at 200 Hz is about as loud as 100 dB SPL average at 1 kHz. The former, I would still consider only loud while the latter would be very loud indeed.
Lindos1.svg

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lindos1.svg

Thanks for the max peak SPL calculation corrections, I wrote that post in a bit of a rush. As for frequency distribution and perceived loudness, the latter is not necessarily a good indicator of NIHL risk. There is some evidence that low-frequency stimuli for just 90 seconds at moderately perceived loudness can significantly affect cochlear physiology, which could make the ear more prone to damage at the higher frequencies it's more sensitive to. Take care of your ears people!

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am indeed. Except my first Elex was broken, and the replacement had to go through drop. Insane shipping cost, double import tax and customs duty (about 20 percent). So lucky I not always am.
Damn- sorry to hear that.

Top Bottom