• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

• Total voters

Cosmik

Major Contributor
No, you were not. I did not have you or any other member of this or any other forum in mind when I wrote that and have edited my post for clarity. It paraphrases a statement made in a local audio store's demo session. Sorry for the miscommunication.
Sorry! I thought you must have meant my paean to the D&D/Kii way of doing things. Apologies again.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
No worries. I am barely skimming that thread; a little too esoteric for a hairy-knuckled low-brow engineer like me, leaving it mostly to others. Except when there's a chance to stick my foot in my mouth (keyboard), natch.

Just to add some on-topicness, I wonder if anybody is ever really satisfied with their system, and for how long... I have a system I am pretty happy with, mostly unhappy only with how little time I have to listen to it, but can't help thinking "what if..."

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No worries. I am barely skimming that thread; a little too esoteric for a hairy-knuckled low-brow engineer like me, leaving it mostly to others. Except when there's a chance to stick my foot in my mouth (keyboard), natch.

Just to add some on-topicness, I wonder if anybody is ever really satisfied with their system, and for how long... I have a system I am pretty happy with, mostly unhappy only with how little time I have to listen to it, but can't help thinking "what if..."

"mostly unhappy only with how little time I have to listen to it," >>> That statement really hits home. <<<

iridium.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Happy with the sound but wires and loss of floor-space bug me. Approx. 22 power plugs on audio and video gear with some more coming as I try some basic digital add-ons. My computer is not counted here. Then there are the various types of players and recorders, phono amp, preamp, Bi-amp, active X-over, DSP/EQ, attenuator box, and WiFi interconnects(with assorted plugs/sockets}and speaker cables running hither-thither. Add to this the storage of recorded media.

Computer+Dac+ DSP/Active speakers seems desirable at times however I haven't seen such a system with hi-eff 15" woofers and compression driver mid/HF horns. Also those little D&D things are pricey.

I also enjoy selecting albums from the 'library' shelves. I'll keep what I have.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Approx. 22 power plugs on audio and video gear with some more coming as I try some basic digital add-ons. My computer is not counted here.
It gets so totally insane! I'm lucky as I have 2 outlets that are feed by different 15a circuits in the corner where the gear plugs up. Still it makes me uncomfortable, thinking about pulling a third 20a line to lighten the load a bit more.

CuteStudio

The sound is great, couldn't ask for more, but on the rare occasion when the house is quiet the Ultramatch's linear PSU has a slightly audible hum from the case - so I keep an eye on budget DACs as I may try something else one day :).

I did try bypassing it but the sound wasn't so sweet so it's still there, like a faithful donkey ;)

bobhol

I've been slowly upgrading my systems through Craig's List with a little E-bay and New thrown in. This has taken close to nine years. Very pleased!though I admit I have no measurements.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've been slowly upgrading my systems through Craig's List with a little E-bay and New thrown in.
That's the spirit, doing things the ASR Audio Cheapskate way. Only thing really new in my audio rig is the speakers and DAC, all the rest came off EBay.
Welcome to our little community of objective revolutionaries. ;)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I’m happy with the sound, I tend to get a little extra happy when Iv gone and listened else where.., not happy with the tower of boxes , Id love to just have my speakers sat in the room plugged into the floor with no other wires or boxes in the room.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Extremely happy, the Dutch&Dutch8Cs are superb, the Cessaro horns offer a different but neverthe less very enjoyable presentation, the new Sonoma electrostatic headphones have really delighted and I haven’t in the past been a huge headphone fan.
Keith

bobhol

That's the spirit, doing things the ASR Audio Cheapskate way. Only thing really new in my audio rig is the speakers and DAC, all the rest came off EBay.
Welcome to our little community of objective revolutionaries. ;)

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be a proud member of the cheapskate club. The main problem is it can be hard to determine if a change of equipment is an actual upgrade. Especially between my receivers, integrated amps and a power amp. But I have fun switching them around

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

CuteStudio

Cheapskate is just being smart, there's a lot of snake oil in HiFi, the smartskate just buys value for money and spends the rest on music :).

Never fall into the trap of the HiFi 'guru' who plays some dreadful dreary rubbish while fretting about his cables or mpingo wooden stands - the smartskate sees the whole picture and uses the tools available to get closer to some decent music instead!

Hi Fidelity is just an accurate copy of the original, which needs to be from a talented composer and artist and enjoyed - everything else is just noise.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

CuteStudio

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Hmm...

upload_2018-1-17_16-15-47.png

I think I expected to see a lower satisfaction rate when I started the poll.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m happy with the sound, I tend to get a little extra happy when Iv gone and listened else where.., not happy with the tower of boxes , Id love to just have my speakers sat in the room plugged into the floor with no other wires or boxes in the room.

Amen brother. When will someone do a good wireless solution to delivering signal to powered speakers?

Top Bottom