• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ANIME.. Anyone?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm temporarily signed up for Amazon Prime, and they've got Thermae Romae. Real low-budget animation, but it's kind of an ongoing gag.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It was sort of a pioneer: The Wachowskis paid homage to it in their "Matrix" movies.
The 1995 film? Sure... the anime series in particular? I just don’t get the appeal. Maybe if you really, really like cyberpunk... but from what I remember the cyberpunk elements from the original film are hugely watered down in the subsequent anime series. I think the first anime season as well as the movie sequel kept some of that intact, but as far as the writing, (overall) animation quality and character development goes, the anime series is a huge downgrade from the movie. Seems to me it exists for no reason

bigx5murf

Thanks. Added to my watch list :cool:.

The author of One Outs also did another physiological thriller, also with a focus on intelligence, it was called Liar Game, I haven't had time to check that one out myself yet. I believe there's only a live action adaptation of this manga, and no anime

I'm temporarily signed up for Amazon Prime, and they've got Thermae Romae. Real low-budget animation, but it's kind of an ongoing gag.

The live adaptation of this one is actually surprisingly good.

Last edited:

bigx5murf

Backstreet Girls was one of the most ridiculous comedy animes I've ever seen. The author's getting another manga series animated this coming March 2021, and I'm looking forward to it big time. It's a comedy focused on acupressure and massage skills, Kenshiro Ni Yoroshiku.

soyabeaner

Aside from my weekly updates on the longer standing series of One Piece (currently up-to-date to episode 955) and Black Clover (episode 156), I'm currently re-watching Gundam 00. It's my favourite from the Gundam series and Gundam is the only real mech genre I like, which is saying something when I don't like sci-fi / outer space types.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 1995 film? Sure... the anime series in particular? I just don’t get the appeal. Maybe if you really, really like cyberpunk... but from what I remember the cyberpunk elements from the original film are hugely watered down in the subsequent anime series. I think the first anime season as well as the movie sequel kept some of that intact, but as far as the writing, (overall) animation quality and character development goes, the anime series is a huge downgrade from the movie. Seems to me it exists for no reason
You're ahead of me, I've only ever seen the original anime and manga upon which it was based. I cut it some slack given that the manga made it's appearance in 1989, when a lot of households didn't even own a computer and William Gibson's Neuromancer had only been published a few years prior, so it was pretty fresh in it's day.

Tachyon88

Aside from my weekly updates on the longer standing series of One Piece (currently up-to-date to episode 955) and Black Clover (episode 156), I'm currently re-watching Gundam 00. It's my favourite from the Gundam series and Gundam is the only real mech genre I like, which is saying something when I don't like sci-fi / outer space types.

What dont you like about UC gundam ? Thats my favorite mech anime. Full metal panic is pretty good too. I juts watched G Gundam for the first time......oh man lol. Good sound track though.

soyabeaner

What dont you like about UC gundam ? Thats my favorite mech anime. Full metal panic is pretty good too. I juts watched G Gundam for the first time......oh man lol. Good sound track though.
Nothing. I also like UC. It's likely my next favourite Gundam series. It's just something about 00's presentation and the main characters that make them cool to me. Ah yes I forgot about Full Metal Panic! and others like Code Geass are mech (but not outer space) anime that I like too, but most others I've watched never impressed me. One of the reasons is how hard it is to keep track of hundreds of names of characters/gadgets/factions and technical terminology when in comes to space anime. I watch to be entertained, not confused.

Last edited:

Tachyon88

Nothing. I also like UC. It's likely my next favourite Gundam series. It's just something about 00's presentation and the main characters that make them cool to me. Ah yes I forgot about Full Metal Panic! and others like Code Geass are mech (but not outer space) anime that I like too, but most others I've watched never impressed me. One of the reasons is how hard it is to keep track of hundreds of names of characters/gadgets/factions and technical terminology when in comes to space anime. I watch to be entertained, not confused.

Right on. 00 wasnt bad....I'm probably gonna re-watch UC gundam, but I'm not sure if I should do it in order of release like I have before, OR watch it according the shows timeline. I actually kinda like starting out with early 80s animation and seeing it progressively get "better".....until they put too much CGI in some of the shows/movies -_- Some of it can look okay though, but well animated 2d animation is timeless.

Check out Big-O, its not outer space, and has sorta a batman and cowboy bebop vibe to it.

soyabeaner

Check out Big-O, its not outer space, and has sorta a batman and cowboy bebop vibe to it.
Watched it a long time ago. I unexpectedly enjoyed it. It's charming. The ending song is also in my collection. I tend to like ending more than opening songs, probably because I like ballads.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Watched it a long time ago. I unexpectedly enjoyed it. It's charming. The ending song is also in my collection. I tend to like ending more than opening songs, probably because I like ballads.

Also just about the only anime where the dub is the definitive version.

soyabeaner

Having watched subs for two decades, I can't see myself getting used back to dub even when it's arguably better. It'd be annoying for me to have to research which version is best before watching each anime each time with how many I'm watching, unless it's a masterpiece.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having watched subs for two decades, I can't see myself getting used back to dub even when it's arguably better. It'd be annoying to have to research which version is best before watching each anime each time.

Don't disagree. I wouldn't even have known if the dub wasn't on Adult Swim back in day.

Sandbo

If I may add one more to my list from this season, that will be Akudama Drive.
It has its problems, especially given the short length and a bit of unnatural development over the first half (though the tension was nice), overall I like it quite a bit, in particular the growth of the main character.

Still, I believe it would have been way better if this was two-season, though then the directors might not be able to keep the story from being too sluggish.

If it takes your life to pursuit what you believe is right, will you?

Last edited:
OP
F

fairx

Having watched subs for two decades, I can't see myself getting used back to dub even when it's arguably better. It'd be annoying for me to have to research which version is best before watching each anime each time with how many I'm watching, unless it's a masterpiece.
well it's far from masterpiece, but B Gata H Kei got serious good dub IMO. just the material is, cringey.. well I'm not gonna judge people's preferences though.. LOL. ;) I do prefer original seiyuu TBH

If I may add one more to my list from this season, that will be Akudama Drive.
It has its problems, especially given the short length and a bit of unnatural development over the first half (though the tension was nice), overall I like it quite a bit, in particular the growth of the main character.

Still, I believe it would have been way better if this was two-season, though then the directors might not be able to keep the story from being too sluggish.

Bro death
.. literally kills the anime

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another great series to watch is Last Exile. The artwork and concept are just phenomenal, the soundtrack is also really good.

Top Bottom