• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ANIME.. Anyone?

Timbo2

In no particular order:
FLCL
Fullmetal alchemist (watched both)
Cowboy bebop (Love the OST)
Hellsing
Rurouni Kenshin (later gets annoying)
Shaman King
Soul Eater

I remember waking up extra early on weekends to watch Saint Seiya and Queen Millennia.
There are two Hellsing series. Roughly same voice actors, but the second follows the manga much more closely. It’s significantly more violent and dark. It’s my preferred version.

Silver1omo

Hellsing was hard to get/watch in Mexico, and had to resort to bootleg copies and broken downloads.
When I realized there were 2 series, it made sense why the chapters made no sense :p

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Simple old-fashioned tastes - "Kiki's Delivery Service"....No wars..No Machine guns...

Timbo2

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Silver1omo

Later on I watched several anime series with my sister.
Sailor moon
Cardcaptor Sakura
Slayers
And others I do not remember the names.

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
I love anime but but don’t actively track new releases, so this thread has given me lots of ideas - many thanks all. Ghost in the Shell (and sequels, SAC series etc) remain my favourite - more recently I’ve really enjoyed Attack on Titan, Psycho-Pass and Castlevania. I’ve not yet started Blood of Zeus on Netflix but that looks interesting. Also, Godzilla on Netflix was well worth a watch. My two young daughters have always loved Studio Ghibli and it’s been great watching all of the classics with them (Princess Mononoke is the current favourite). Wolfwalkers and Song of the Sea have Irish/Celtic themes and are really beautiful, enchanting and immersive.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I love anime but but don’t actively track new releases, so this thread has given me lots of ideas - many thanks all. Ghost in the Shell (and sequels, SAC series etc) remain my favourite - more recently I’ve really enjoyed Attack on Titan, Psycho-Pass and Castlevania. I’ve not yet started Blood of Zeus on Netflix but that looks interesting. Also, Godzilla on Netflix was well worth a watch. My two young daughters have always loved Studio Ghibli and it’s been great watching all of the classics with them (Princess Mononoke is the current favourite). Wolfwalkers and Song of the Sea have Irish/Celtic themes and are really beautiful, enchanting and immersive.
Just wondering but what is it about the ghost in the shell anime series that you enjoy? For the life of me I can’t figure out why it even exists.

Timbo2

Just wondering but what is it about the ghost in the shell anime series that you enjoy? For the life of me I can’t figure out why it even exists.

Very interesting dystopian Sci-Fi setting and exploration of the concept of "the self" contained within run of the mill plotlines.

OTH the lead voice actress Atsuko Tanaka has an awesome and rich voice. She's awesome.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I can't speak for Sharpi31, but personally I think the Tachikoma are the cutest things ever. I really like SAC.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ghost in the Shell: The whole franchise, Evangelion, Akira, Bleach, FLCL. Tons of good anime and too many titles to list.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Akira
Ghost in The Shell
Ninja Scroll
Dead Leaves
Tekkonkinkreet
Metropolis
Cowboy Bebop (The Movie.. Haven't seen the series)
The Sky Crawlers
Memories (Love the Stink Bomb segment!)
Blood, The Last Vampire
Steamboy (Please don't judge me :oops:)
AD Police Files 1-3
+ most of the Hayao Miyazaki classics

That's my modest collection.

Also loved The Seven Deadly Sins on Netflix, and One-Punch Man is one of the funniest things I've ever seen :D

You sir have literally listed all the titles i own on DVD and other formats. LOL

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
Very interesting dystopian Sci-Fi setting and exploration of the concept of "the self" contained within run of the mill plotlines.

100%. On the surface it’s a relatively generic plot: govt special ops unit tackling ‘threats‘ to the state. The sub-plots & themes are fantastic though, IMHO. The protagonists cover the full spectrum of purely organic to fully machine with most somewhere in between. While synthetic components bring many advantages there are also downsides (vulnerability to external hacking/manipulation), so the special ops team members have varying degrees of cyborgization for resilience. Similarly, natural vs artificial intelligence is explored in detail including the impacts of identity (eg. what is the impact of AI believing that it is natural, not artificial?) and transitioning physically and mentally over time. These ideas are explored in a thought provoking way: there are no grand, generalised answers delivered on a plate; questions are raised and conflicting perspectives/interests are exposed.

The broader impacts of technological advances on society are also explored. I work in a field where the interaction of users with technology is a key focus, and I believe GITS was profound in many ways. For example, the use of secure virtual meeting environments and trends in ergonomics/interfacing (I could go on.....!).

I’m not a sci-if expert and I’m sure that GITS borrows themes from earlier books/manga/films etc., however GITS does an amazing job of presenting and exploring these interconnected concepts. The Matrix borrows heavily from GITS (that‘s evident from the moment the credits start to roll ;-)).

I hated the recent Hollywood version - to me it seemed as though the producers failed to grasp the majority of the interesting ideas within the original, and then did a terrible job of presenting the few concepts that they did seem to partially grasp. It struck me as very similar to Dune: the depth/content possibly incompatible with a 90-120min movie format (but I love David Lynch and have a soft spot for his Dune, even though it doesn’t do the books justice).

bigx5murf

The stand out releases this past season for me have been

Jujutsu Kaisen
Moriarty the Patriot

I rewatched the following, and really enjoyed it the second time around.

Grand Blue
One Outs

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Even though I've watched and enjoyed a decent amount of somewhat "underground" anime like Welcome to the N.H.K., Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou, and Serial Experiments Lain, I still think the wildly popular Death Note is one of the best. I've watched it a few times, and am just always intrigued by the cohesively depthy writing and sound design. I have the lossless soundtrack, which I listen to parts of not too uncommonly.

That said, I don't like it when people treat anime as a genre. It causes all sorts of problems. But, one is how it can cause people to judge the cartoons within a false frame of reference. It should just be about happening to like some shows that are cartoons made in Japan. Nothing more, nothing less. Instead, there's a sort of weeaboo cult that's propped up by greedy people in part of the anime industry who know they can make more money off of westerners than their native viewers.

Last edited:

soyabeaner

This may sound odd, but this is my favourite anime of all the several hundreds I've watched. I've not re-watched any titles as much as this one. It's so much fun that I never get tired of it, and also one of the few that made me read the manga to know what happens after the anime ended. One of my other all time related favourites is 'Tohai Densetu Akagi - Yamini Maiorita Tensai' (Mahjong Legend Akagi: The Genius Who Descended Into the Darkness), with the same starring voice actor. These are unique anime with the protagonist who is OP from an intelligence perspective rather the usual power perspective, and each can be considered anti-heroes.

bigx5murf

This may sound odd, but this is my favourite anime of all the several hundreds I've watched. I've not re-watched any titles as much as this one. It's so much fun that I never get tired of it, and also one of the few that made me read the manga to know what happens after the anime ended. One of my other all time related favourites is 'Tohai Densetu Akagi - Yamini Maiorita Tensai' (Mahjong Legend Akagi: The Genius Who Descended Into the Darkness), with the same starring voice actor. These are unique anime with the protagonist who is OP from an intelligence perspective rather the usual power perspective, and each can be considered anti-heroes.

Moriarty the Patriot, is of the same genre, taking place in Victorian England.

Top Bottom