• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30 DAC Measurement and Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Check out the Roland R-05 for about $200 USD.

One issue though is that you cannot write to a PC.
Thanks. I really need PC capture though as otherwise my workflow will slow down so much given all the iterations I perform.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You could get a Focusrite Forte for $250ish second hand. Here are the measures done by Archimago.
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/07/measurements-focusrite-forte-usb-audio.html

The Audient ID14 might be about as good as you can get for $299.
https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id14/tech-specs/

The Tascam UH7000 is another good choice looking mostly at the ADC for $399.
http://tascam.com/product/uh-7000/specifications/

Can't think of any better for your $500 or less.

Now most of these meet spec nicely as claimed for the various parameters. However on the SNR, Dynamic range or noise floors there is usually some gaming going on. Since input gain is variable there is usually a sweet spot or sweet range where the ADC is most happy, and paired with just the right level of input these usually meet the claims or get real close. If you have to use it out of that range you may find the noise floor elevates a little bit. Not usually going to be anything crazy like 10 or more db, but some might be 6db or so off from claims when not used in just the right way.

Someone could probably make a line level two channel ADC only that would be fantastic for $500. There seems no market for it though. So usually you have to get ADC/DAC units or complete recording interfaces with microphone inputs.

neu01

1505940939-68.jpg

Hey Amir, finally got my hands on the D30. First thing I did was open it up :D.

Notably the signal relay and crystal oscillators are different. Perhaps a cost saving measure or design revision, or both, which isn't a uncommon thing to do. But seeing as I don't really have any expertise in this area, I don't really know how it effects performance, if at all.

Anyway, my board is like the bottom one. Just curious which version you have Amir, so we know which version was measured.

Eric Auer

View attachment 9995

Hey Amir, finally got my hands on the D30. First thing I did was open it up :D.

Notably the signal relay and crystal oscillators are different. Perhaps a cost saving measure or design revision, or both, which isn't a uncommon thing to do. But seeing as I don't really have any expertise in this area, I don't really know how it effects performance, if at all.

Anyway, my board is like the bottom one. Just curious which version you have Amir, so we know which version was measured.

Mine is like yours. And it sounds great.
I'd like to know which version was measured as well.

Eric

sssn

Is the Topping recognized by Windows 10 with its UAC2 driver or does it need a proprietary driver?

sssn

Sweet. Windows 10 UAC2 drivers has been very hit and miss for me.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sweet. Windows 10 UAC2 drivers has been very hit and miss for me.
I have now tested it hundreds of times with a dozen or more DACs that I constantly plug-in and unplug and it works almost all the time. Once in a while I have to reboot to get the device to show up.

This is actually much better record than supplied drivers which have been hell at times. The Exasound drivers for example decide to not work on their own. And let's not even talk about all the companies that redistribute different versions of Xmos drivers all identifying themselves as Xmos with different version number.

So overall, I think it is a wonderful advancement. I could not use my mainstream everyday laptop for testing if it required constantly installing drivers to test DACs.

Superdad

Audio Company
I have now tested it hundreds of times with a dozen or more DACs that I constantly plug-in and unplug and it works almost all the time. Once in a while I have to reboot to get the device to show up.

That's good to hear. Maybe I'll update my one Windows laptop to Creator's Edition to obtain said UAC2 support at long last. :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Along those lines, you get a free WASAPI interface for bit-exact to the device. By configuring your media player (roon in my case) to use that, there is no need for ASIO drivers either. Just set Exclusive mode in Roon audio device property.

drconopoima

Forum Donor
I know I could have got the dimensions in the listing, but after receiving it and noticing that it's 15% or so bigger than my Sanskrit 6th I respect the Sanskrit a bit more. It is as audibly transparent as the Topping D30 and a bit more compact for a lower price with the same max output voltage of 2.0 VRMS. I think I can recommend the Sanskrit 6th a bit more due to the size. That said, I'll see if it's true that the Sanskrit can play DSD64, that some reviewers report without actually testing DSD on it. @amirm did you manage to play DSD64 on your Sanskrit 6th when you tested it?

That said, I paid less for my Topping D30 than my Sanskrit 6th, I got the Sanskrit at full price 109€ but I caught a promotion in Amazon of the Topping for 106€. Awesome value.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I bought this DAC not so long after it came out, I loved it so much I ended up buying the DX7 when it came out too.
Now I have just used the DX7 since that time. But I have recommended the D30 to everyone who asked.
I'd love to see the SMSL M8 tested also, to see where it ranks against the D30.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Welcome to the forum Jimster. I have the SMSL M8A on order. It is through Massdrop so it won't ship until February 19th.

Is it worth getting the M8? The M8 is $170 on Amazon and I bought the M8A through Massdrop for just $10 more (it is $250 otherwise on Amazon).

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Welcome to the forum Jimster. I have the SMSL M8A on order. It is through Massdrop so it won't ship until February 19th.

Is it worth getting the M8? The M8 is $170 on Amazon and I bought the M8A through Massdrop for just $10 more (it is $250 otherwise on Amazon).
I've had both and tested them side by side. I couldn't tell any audible difference despite many A/B tests. But the M8A runs significantly cooler due to its internal heatsync design.

Top Bottom