• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"The floating cone driver"

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers are probably the last great technological frontier in audio, which are still far from perfection. Here's a fascinating piece of technology I just encountered: A transducer without spider and surround, called the "floating cone driver". https://www.ilumnia.be/maindesign

d54996_75f211f2e2714022844de2b0b472e055~mv2.jpg

Seems intriguing. An all new Belgian speaker (what's the deal with all these technological advances in audio coming from the Dutchophone civilization?), designed from the ground up. Claims lots of benefits. Price unknown.

What do you guys think?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Speakers are probably the last great technological frontier in audio, which are still far from perfection. Here's a fascinating piece of technology I just encountered: A transducer without spider and surround, called the "floating cone driver". https://www.ilumnia.be/maindesign

Seems intriguing. An all new Belgian speaker (what's the deal with all these technological advances in audio coming from the Dutchophone civilization?), designed from the ground up. Claims lots of benefits. Price unknown.

What do you guys think?
Next time I’m in Ikea I will keep a eye out for this...

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor

What do you guys think?

Passive?

I believe in active and there are some good theory and empirical data to support the argument for active.

OP
oivavoi

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Passive?

I believe in active and there are some good theory and empirical data to support the argument for active.

Yeah, that goes without saying (in this forum at least!). Seems to be priced really really high, and I assume they want to tap into the highend market, which is mostly passive. So they have included a "damping switch" to be able to adapt it to different kinds of amplifiers. Would make much more sense engineering-wise to build it from the ground up with matching amps and control it with DSP. But active vs passive crossovers is not the only thing that matters in a loudspeaker. There are also limitations in other areas. Otherwise, every single active loudspeaker would sound better than most passive loudspeakers, which is clearly not the case. So I think their transducer technology may hold some merits, if my limited layman understanding of the issues is correct.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, but I don't see any explanation as to what keeps the cone centred in the middle of the travel in the absence of signal. Does the power supply polarise the cone so it floats half way up? That's what I would guess, but it doesn't say if the magnet is a permanent magnet and the PSU operates on the cone only, or the cone and the magnet are both powered from the PSU.

Their web site is long on audiophile-speak and somewhat short on technical details.

S.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Looks shaky to me.

What's the cone material?

---

Oh, I see now, 8 inch paper cone.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"It has 99,7% linear behaviour and has no compression at all which gives it a perfect dynamic response."

upload_2018-1-10_15-9-9.png

Hmmm...

Not sure if I'm comparing apples and oranges, but...

Since when did 99.7% become "perfect"?

That's an error of 30 in 10,000.

My Telco buddies required 99.98% "perfection" before they'd sign the bill, no more than two calls lost in 10,000 attempts.

fas42

Major Contributor
The fact that the suspension is no longer the crude mechanical mechanism that drivers have had since they were invented is an extremely encouraging sign - a clear marker that they have done their homework is that these speakers will have excellent rendition of low level detail, from a cold start ...

Brad

I don’t understand why you would use a bass/mid driver for an Omni dispersion, then use a directional tweeter.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I am wondering why, if it is so great and allows "perfect" linearity, high speed, and so forth, they used a conventional tweeter?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Remember the Ohm Walsh loudspeakers? Ohm is still selling them.

1360275-very-rare-ohm-g-walsh-driver-speakers-the-baby-ohm-f-wequalizer-and-spare-walsh-driver.jpg

There are current takes on the concept by some European companies.

The Emper0r 1 by German Physiks:

emperor_1.png

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
IIRC the Walsh driver still had a conventional surround and spyder assembly...

Wayne

Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The "surroundless" part is not new. Some years ago I recall a review of a design which had an otherwise conventional cone but the "surround" used the same design - a cylindrical edge in a slot. The slot and surrounding spaces were designed to counter the tendency for air pressure to leak past.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I'm not convinced there's much wrong with conventional cone speakers - and you could use things like closed loop control at the lower frequencies and/or pre-distortion at the higher. But I like the idea of thinking radically. But these people give away their audiophile fetish-based thinking by promoting their 'most linear speaker in the world' partnered with the least linear amplifiers in the world - and they use the most non-radical option of the passive crossover, inevitably leading to various distortions of the waveform despite the potential performance of their (vapourware?) driver.

D

Deleted member 65

My (well off!) kid brother had these a few years back. Haven't heard much better since then. Traded them for at the time biggest Wilson. Now he's only using iPhone & IEM's ...

412mbl.3.jpg

Top Bottom