• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They will be very challenging to measure with Klippel NFS due to so many drivers interfering with each other at higher frequencies. But I am game measuring them if you are willing to help with funding. I can get them at dealer cost as well. Just message me if you want to go forward.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
-10dB @ 60Hz & 20kHz, sheesh.

Disney uses the more expensive CBT 1000:
38083486354_f7e0d7f7bd_c.jpg

Tigi

Thank you so much @amirm for your great work so far. It would certainly be interesting to see the review and measurement of the Genelec 8050, both in comparison with the smaller genelecs of this series and with the currently reviewed competitor Neumann KH310.

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
Hi! Could it be interesting to test this lepai TPA3118 2.1 plate amp? I bought one some time ago to revive a small 8" old/broken PC desktop sub and drive two preexisting in-wall surround speakers in my home office, and complete a 5.1 system (along with my front desktop KH80 DSPs) that sound subjectively quite ok to me. I'm about to order a second one, but could send it to @amirm first.

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The infamous "cheap hybrid tube amp" morph -- which may or may not actually use the tubes for anything important :rolleyes: , in "50 watt" form, rears its head at a US (relatively) mass-market retailer (besides monoprice, I mean).
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...h-bluetooth-usb-aux-in-sub-out-100w--300-3842

I'd like to bump this one - I just got one of these and I'm pretty happy with it given the price. I would agree the tubes probably do little, if anything, but the 5 year warranty was what sold me on this model vs. Amazon's Rockville/Infi/etc. I have no illusions about amp performance, it's probably not great, but it's more of a conversation piece because it sits in a common area and the tubes are BRIGHT. I will say this little guy drives 4x Paradigm Titan bookshelves wired in parallel to about 82dB without any cracking, dropouts, etc.

Would also nominate 3e-audio's TPA3255 implementation(s) - on the surface could be a great budget buy.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have no illusions about amp performance, it's probably not great, but it's more of a conversation piece because it sits in a common area and the tubes are BRIGHT.

OK, I've gotta ask :) when you say BRIGHT are you referring to luminosity or midrange or treble frequency boost?
It' partly academic curiosity, but it's also occasioned by my reflecting lately on cheap Chinese vacuum tube components and their... ummm... uhh... sound signatures. :rolleyes:

I may say more anon and elsewhere (as I reflect on the subject). :)

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I've gotta ask :) when you say BRIGHT are you referring to luminosity or midrange or treble frequency boost?
It' partly academic curiosity, but it's also occasioned by my reflecting lately on cheap Chinese vacuum tube components and their... ummm... uhh... sound signatures. :rolleyes:

I may say more anon and elsewhere (as I reflect on the subject). :)

Luminosity - it draws a lot of attention and is sort of relaxing with the lights off.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dutch and Dutch 8 C ... Pleaaaaase!
Linkwitz LX521.4
Linkwitz Mini

This list is not from an uninterested party :oops:... BTW...

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Anyone interested in the JBL EON 610? (or maybe the 612)
I have a feeling these PA units would make a very decent set of hifi speakers with a little eq and sub. Capable of some easy volume.
Certainly a candidate for a HT set-up.
Very affordale as well.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom