• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

threni

Major Contributor
I have this dac just two weeks ago, and I have to say that I don’t understand all the hype about it.
Worst is that the audio from the headphone output is as bad as it can be. I do not believe that it can be worse than this. It reminds me of the headphone outputs from cheap laptops. It is unbelievably bad. It is muddy and boomy with no definition at all.

If that was not enough, it came with a problem. If I switch it off, a minute or so after turns back on again and in the Bluetooth option instead of usb, so I will have to switch it back to usb to use it. If I leave it on and turn my pc off, after some time it turns off and back on again just like I describe earlier so this is a problem with no solution.
I want to send it back because it is a faulty unit, and it is not better than my old Behringer dac. But If I must pay to do it, probably does not compensate and its money in the trash can.

So, I do not know if the previous version is way better than this one, but do not go with the flow and don’t waste your money with this.
Just my humble opinion.

I suppose the "hype" - if by that you mean amirm's review here "it easily becomes one of my favorite desktop products. As such, I recommend the Topping DX3Pro wholeheartedly" - is about a non-broken model.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSO

HansWursT619

Does the output cycle on the device itself include to full volume line-out output?
I don't really want to use the remote, but having me speaker blasting everytime i switch sound annoying.

d00d

Has anyone tried the DX3 Pro on a PS5, yet? The PS5 only supports USB audio class 1 devices, which usually rules out any of the newer USB DACs.

Veri

Master Contributor
Has anyone tried the DX3 Pro on a PS5, yet? The PS5 only supports USB audio class 1 devices, which usually rules out any of the newer USB DACs.
Won't work.

jlpl

I suppose the "hype" - if by that you mean amirm's review here "it easily becomes one of my favorite desktop products. As such, I recommend the Topping DX3Pro wholeheartedly" - is about a non-broken model.

The problem that I have on my unit should not affect the sound quality, but I will review my post if my unit would be replaced and the new one is better.

The measurements that amirm did are important but cannot judge the coloration added to the sound of this product for example. My unit is the second version so don't know the difference between the two versions.

Probably the first one as a better headphone output don't know. And the Hype is general not only here. Most of the reviews on amazon for example are top 5 and I just want to express my opinion so that others can be warned.

The sound from headphone output is as good as a cheap laptop.

Don't waste your money on this DAC.

Just my 2 cents.

threni

Major Contributor
The problem that I have on my unit should not affect the sound quality, but I will review my post if my unit would be replaced and the new one is better.

The measurements that amirm did are important but cannot judge the coloration added to the sound of this product for example. My unit is the second version so don't know the difference between the two versions.

Probably the first one as a better headphone output don't know. And the Hype is general not only here. Most of the reviews on amazon for example are top 5 and I just want to express my opinion so that others can be warned.

The sound from headphone output is as good as a cheap laptop.

Don't waste your money on this DAC.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm not sure typical users of this site need warnings about hype on amazon reviews. Consider defining what "coloration" means in the context of audio and how Amirm may use his testing kit to detect it. It sounds like he's doing everything wrong if you are correct.

jlpl

I'm not sure typical users of this site need warnings about hype on amazon reviews. Consider defining what "coloration" means in the context of audio and how Amirm may use his testing kit to detect it. It sounds like he's doing everything wrong if you are correct.

This is not what I said.

I think that I have helped who wants to be helped.

Stay safe and be well.

MrOtto

Can I connect my Android phone with DX3 Pro using an OTG usb-cable to stream wired music, for example with Tidal or do I need a computer to do that? Bluetooth is compressed. I want lossless music.

This works on Topping E30 with an OTG-cable. Tidal plays 16 bit/48 kHz without any more settings or drivers to USB-B input on E30 DAC (48.0 PCM USB)

wje

Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

I'm willing to upgrade my current installation : PC (Creative X-Fi Titanium) ==> Jack to RCA ==> FDA SMSL SA-50 ==> Monitor Audio Bronze 2.
Also have a Sennheiser G4ME linked to my soundcard.

With such great reviews, I'd like to try out this DAC. Do you really think I will have a step-up in sound quality?
Also, can you confirm I will be able to plug it in between my FDA and my PC with RCA to RCA cables?
My next objective is to upgrade to a "real" amp such as the Cyrus One or Audiolab 6000A (need the bypass function).

Many thanks

Greetings. Did you opt for the Audiolab 6000A? If you do, I'd recommend updating the firmware to Vers. .30, which is the latest. In version .30, Audiolab has provided the option for you selecting "Normal" and "Wide" PLL setting options for your digital inputs. I had been using the base firmware version, .20 until I upgraded to .30 yesterday. It only requires a USB memory stick and about 5 minutes of time to perform the process.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
This allows you to clean up the digital artifacts a bit more with your music.
No such thing. It does exactly what it says it does: specify the strength of the phase lock loop. Stronger PLL = better jitter, could lose lock on jittery source. Weaker PLL = worse resulting jitter but easier lock on bad/jittery source input.

Reactions: wje

wje

Forum Donor
No such thing. It does exactly what it says it does: specify the strength of the phase lock loop. Stronger PLL = better jitter, could lose lock on jittery source. Weaker PLL = worse resulting jitter but easier lock on bad/jittery source input.

Yes, thank you for clarifying. I did revise my post.

ZenTraveler

The sound from headphone output is as good as a cheap laptop
Should've added "subjectively"

Otherwise some that didn't read from beginning might thought this is the result of controlled objective test, which is the norm on this forum when doing comparison.

ZenTraveler

Does the output cycle on the device itself include to full volume line-out output?
I don't really want to use the remote, but having me speaker blasting everytime i switch sound annoying.
No, you can only change whether to use pre-amp or full volume DAC mode when the DX3 is off.

It will cycle between
1. Headphone
2. Pre-amp/DAC
3. Headphone + pre-amp/DAC

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Surely it is worth mentioning that this is digital attenuation we are talking about. You attenuate digitally, you lose information, it sounds worse. Don't do that. Get a volume control inline.

Modern chips get around that problem by doing the calculations with an excess bit depth. There's nothing to worry about anymore.

gorman

Can I measure the distortion introduced with digital attenuation at home? No.
You say it sounds "much better". And so I ask if it's something that can be objectively measured. Don't know about your home environment, my question was more generic in its nature.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Adding noise and distortion, no thanks.

From where? Did you not read what I wrote? The digital attenuation in a modern DAC chip does not have an audible amount of error.

These days potentiometers have more downsides than benefits.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
You are asking for an objective measurement of a subjective opinion, spoiling for an argument, and I'm not playing

You said:
You attenuate digitally, you lose information, it sounds worse.

Loss of information is most certainly not an opinion.

I've told you two times that rounding errors in digital attenuation is a thing of the past, and yet it seems like you just put a finger in each ear and go: "Lalalalalala!" :confused:

Btw, the thing with the popping sound is also a bit of a turn off for me.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Let's get this straight. Just because you 'told me' three times, doesn't make it true. Sick of your brand of condescension.

Sorry if my cold Scandinavian nature made me seem like I was trying to put myself on a high horse. I was not. But the fact is that digital attenuation has come a long way the last few decades. I'm not just trying to push an opinion as truth: ESS volume control

Turned you off ? Oh pray tell why you disagree with this, I'd prefer a good giggle at your expense.

You misunderstood me. I'm saying that the issue with the popping sound makes the DX3 Pro a less attractive product to me. I was actually agreeing with you on something :D

Top Bottom