• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does lossless really matter?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been using Tidal (Hi-Fi and Master quality) for almost half a year.

Recently i started using Free Spotify (160 kbps) and it’s surprisingly very good sounding.

There is this soothing sensation behind the imperfections you hear, kind of like of listening to Vinyl.

I feel like the sound with lossless is very technical and can quickly fatigue you.

What are you your experiences?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At 160kbps, there may be subtle audible differences, and these could be perceived as pleasant I guess.

The best way to test it would be to take a lossless file and compress it yourself at 160kbps (ideally you’d find out which algorithm Spotify uses and use that too). Then, you could use Foobar’s ABX comparator to find out whether you can reliably discern a difference.

The thing I’m more curious about, though, is how you can put up with the ads :p

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At 160kbps, there may be subtle audible differences, and these could be perceived as pleasant I guess.

The best way to test it would be to take a lossless file and compress it yourself at 160kbps (ideally you’d find out which algorithm Spotify uses and use that too). Then, you could use Foobar’s ABX comparator to find out whether you can reliably discern a difference.

The thing I’m more curious about, though, is how you can put up with the ads :p

My bank canceled my credit card for no apparent reason, so my Tidal subscription ended. Youtube sounded 'meh' so i gave my old Spotify a try.

Is the 320 kbps premium option scientifically indifferent than lossless?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My bank canceled my credit card for no apparent reason, so my Tidal subscription ended. Youtube sounded 'meh' so i gave my old Spotify a try.

Is the 320 kbps premium option scientifically indifferent than lossless?

It is possible for some people to discern 320Kbps mp3 from lossless under some circumstances. But most can’t, and for those who can, it’s not easy...

Personally I’m happy with 320Kbps and I therefore use Spotify (premium). Considered switching to Tidal but doubt I’d be capable of hearing differences, and can’t be bothered resaving all my collections and playlists etc.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Youtube sounded 'meh' so i gave my old Spotify a try
That because of the following reasons, from a earlier post from me:

YouTube Music is a tricky one:
Music video: Opus (251) <=160kbps VBR
Music only: AAC 48/128kbps and 256kbps only for subscribers.

So unless you are a subscriber you wont get the full quality.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Personally I’m happy with 320Kbps and I therefore use Spotify (premium). Considered switching to Tidal but doubt I’d be capable of hearing differences, and can’t be bothered resaving all my collections and playlists etc.
Similar here but in my use case YouTube Premium family. (YT w/o ads, YTM AAC 256kbps)

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A big part of it for me is that lossless is also gapless. However, I understand that Spotify does a pretty good job with gapless. Can Spotify users confirm whether Spotify's gapless is as good as with lossless?

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A big part of it for me is that lossless is also gapless. However, I understand that Spotify does a pretty good job with gapless. Can Spotify users confirm whether Spotify's gapless is as good as with lossless?

Gapless has nothing to do with codecs or formats. And yes Spotify can do gapless perfectly.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While I prefer the idea of lossless, and mostly stream such of my own library or play discs that I can't rip easily, I also use Spotify premium and have no issues with it (unless I went looking for one I suppose). I'd trialled both Tidal and Qobuz, but stuck with Spotify mostly due ease of use over a variety of devices, but not any particular audio quality differences. I've also used free Pandora which I do find to have a noticeable difference in quality, but not by a lot, and at normal volumes not remarkable; the suggestions made by Pandora have been very good and it also is easy to use across a variety of devices.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Because of the UI, the catalogue, or for some other reason?
It has most of the music I need. Cheaper than Tidal. UI is good, both on PC and Android. I like the playlists. Connection is usually very fast. Overall just very well rounded.
It doesn't mean it's perfect, the PC client is not very stable and updates a lot. Some specific albums are still not on Spotify.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It has most of the music I need. Cheaper than Tidal. UI is good, both on PC and Android. I like the playlists. Connection is usually very fast. Overall just very well rounded.
It doesn't mean it's perfect, the PC client is not very stable and updates a lot. Some specific albums are still not on Spotify.

I feel the same. Almost dropped it a few years back when the updates just seemed absolutely relentless. But that's settled a bit now. And agree with all your other points.

Top Bottom