• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best way to clean earwax?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
(not sure if this is rhe right Forum)
But how do you clean your ears without damaging them? I've had earwax since forever and it kills the enjoyment from sound unfortunately.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
F5E39908-2DFC-4F8F-9E18-41F5EAF86C63.jpeg

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you already have a lot of build up use a liquid earwax cleaner to get them flushed out.

After that, just use qtips daily after showering to keep them clean.

Maybe use the liquid cleaner periodically afterwards if you have especially waxy ears.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
earwicks :). Sorry, couldn’t resist making a Dad joke.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I have same problem. And have both ears 'flushed' by Nurse during my annual physical. Nothing inserted into ears. Just syringe of warm water. A bit messy, and I grit my teeth a bit as the stream hits the eardrums .. but result is thorough removal..

gene_stl

Forum Donor
I have been using Q Tips, in my ears, very regularly for over 55 years and have not hurt myself. On the rare ocassions when Drs look into my ear I tell them that I have the cleanest ears that they will ever see which is likely true. Occasionally I will apply medications to the Q tips such as NeoSporin (one of the great inventions of western civ) ,Fluticasone or USP white mineral oil (instead of olive oil).

The notion that you should never insert a q tip, is very silly, in my not humble opinion. Why would you think your own hand is less steady than someone elses? I would never let anyone else clean the earwax out of my ears. That is much much more hazardous.

BTW flushing your ears with cold or warm water results in "caloric" testing of your otoliths and in many individuals will result in violent vertigo. The water should be between 93 and 99 degrees fahrenheit. Measured with an accurate thermometer.

In the USA a typical ENT office visit will result in about a $300 bill. Even if his nurse does the deed.

The advent of modern miniaturized electronics means you can buy a tiny earcam outfit and watch what you are doing. But I have been doing it by feel for more than half a century. (They are down to $27)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Harupink...l5=9022896&wl6=144818718613&wl7=&wl8=&veh=sem

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=earcam&g...937979&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_87iaatqu30_e

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think that's a good idea.

Using the hydrogen peroxide or oil washes daily isn't really practical and I need daily cleaning to keep my IEMs from getting first gross, and then ruined by earwax.

If your physiology doesn't necessitate it then by all means skip it.

Not quite correct. It's an EXTREMELY, HORRIBLY BAD idea. DO NOT INSERT ANYTHING, INCLUDING Q-TIPS, INTO YOUR EAR CANAL!

In other news, it is also recommended to hire a live in optometrist to put in your contacts. :rolleyes:

escape2

Are you listening to music at very loud levels a lot?

Excessive production of earwax is typically body's natural defense mechanism to protect the ear drums.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been using metal ear pick to clean my ears a long time, is it really bad to stick things into ear even you don't thit ear drum?

It's a very popular meme at least...

If your ears are already stuffed with earwax and you just shoved a qtip in there the wax could get impacted or something which I why I recommend some sort of liquid cleaning solution first. Once they're mostly clean, further mechanical "maintenance" cleaning should be just fine.

Whether anyone even needs to do this depends on personal physiology (how much earwax and what consistency) and habits (Do you use IEMs several hours a day?).

Sure, it would be better to not stick things into your ears because something might happen and someone might be able to put together some sort of epidemiological study showing sore some sort of small risk but the same is true or driving or crossing the street on foot.

Top Bottom