• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

qiandu

Hello everyone.
I have a 63 ohm 7506 and a 250 ohm DT990PRO,
I am a newbie in audio equipment, and after reading hundreds of pages, I am still not sure whether DX3proV2 is suitable for me ($210 in my area).
Thank you!
I don’t speak English well, sorry...

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello everyone.
I am a newbie in audio equipment, and after reading hundreds of pages, I am still not sure whether DX3proV2 is suitable for me ($210 in my area).
Can you also consider Topping L30+E30 combo? DX3 is a very good all-in-one device, but buying two separates will still give the best result, if that is possible. The DX3 can easily power your 7506, the DT990 I'd say it depends on how hard you want to drive it and whether or not you use equalisation.

qiandu

Can you also consider Topping L30+E30 combo? DX3 is a very good all-in-one device, but buying two separates will still give the best result, if that is possible. The DX3 can easily power your 7506, the DT990 I'd say it depends on how hard you want to drive it and whether or not you use equalisation.
Thank you very much for your reply!
But the L30+E30 combo is 50 dollars more expensive than DX3PRO, and I am not going to increase my budget:)

gorman

Hello everyone.
Thank you!
I don’t speak English well, sorry...
Looking at this https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/post-486186 I would say you would be ok with the 63 ohm headphone.

Regarding DT990Pro, I use HD800 with 300 ohm impedance and with high gain I don't have problems in reaching very high volumes (volumes one should not be listening to for long times, basically). And this with -7-7dB preamp, using Oratory1990 Harman curve equalization.

I chose it specifically because I wanted an all in one, capable of driving both headphones and powered speakers. That's something that the separate solutions cannot do usually.

qiandu

Looking at this https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/post-486186 I would say you would be ok with the 63 ohm headphone.

Regarding DT990Pro, I use HD800 with 300 ohm impedance and with high gain I don't have problems in reaching very high volumes (volumes one should not be listening to for long times, basically). And this with -7-7dB preamp, using Oratory1990 Harman curve equalization.

I chose it specifically because I wanted an all in one, capable of driving both headphones and powered speakers. That's something that the separate solutions cannot do usually.
thank you for your reply!
This will dispel my worries and I will buy one!

Shtruckk

Hello,

I own a topping dx3 pro v2 and I'm thinking to buy a mini pc with android os, to be used like a streamer, only with Tidal.
The dac will be connected to the USB port from the mini-pc.
I want to ask if the topping will be recognized by the android os, or I must buy a mini pc with windows os.
On their site, it says that is no need to install a driver for Android os(see the picture bellow).

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201129_180628_com.opera.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20201129_180628_com.opera.browser.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 114

ZenTraveler

Hello,

I own a topping dx3 pro v2 and I'm thinking to buy a mini pc with android os, to be used like a streamer, only with Tidal.
The dac will be connected to the USB port from the mini-pc.
I want to ask if the topping will be recognized by the android os, or I must buy a mini pc with windows os.
On their site, it says that is no need to install a driver for Android os(see the picture bellow).

Thank you for your help.
I believe there's no need for driver with Android OS. I didn't specifically tried DX3 Pro with Android, due to I don't have USB type C to type B cable. Other portable DAC that I have doesn't need to install driver.

Windows 10 actually also doesn't need to install Topping driver, it will work just by plugging it.

poppy

Is this still a good buy these days? Wondering if there is something better with the features I need (optical in, rca out, headphone out, remote with vol control). I care more about the DAC portion than the headphone amp.

miguelx74

Hi guys. Are there any details on the output impedance?
Can the Dx3 pro V2 (LDAC) drive low impedance headphones like the HD599?

poppy

Hi guys. Are there any details on the output impedance?
Can the Dx3 pro V2 (LDAC) drive low impedance headphones like the HD599?
V2 is 10ohm impedance. Not recommended for headphones with impedance lower than 80 ohm.

HansWursT619

Is this still a good buy these days? Wondering if there is something better with the features I need (optical in, rca out, headphone out, remote with vol control). I care more about the DAC portion than the headphone amp.
This is very much my question.
The DX3 Pro ist exactly what I am looking for in terms of features, price and size etc. And I was super hyped when reading the first pages. Now I am concerned about the V2. Is it still a good buy with my HD6XX for example?

miguelx74

The DX3 Pro ist exactly what I am looking for in terms of features, price and size etc. And I was super hyped when reading the first pages. Now I am concerned about the V2. Is it still a good buy with my HD6XX for example?

i have hd599 headphones and i am worried about v2.
I would like to use the device in the living room so it is very convenient to use the remote control and have only one device instead of two devices. if I don't find another all in one device I will be forced to buy D30 and L30

poppy

Get the loxjie d30. Seems to be improved in every way and cheaper. Only minus is lack of ldac and weaker head amp.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think Loxjie D30 is worth considering, if DAC portion is your priority. That is what I am planning to get to replace my old Topping D10.

miguelx74

the Loxjie D30 is not a good headphone amplifier.
i am looking for an all in one with remote control that is dac and also a good headphone amplifier

gorman

Yes. HD6XX has high impedance. DX3 Pro good for that.

Reactions: PSO

jlpl

Hi. This is my first post in this forum and want to describe my thoughts about Topping dx3 pro dac.

I have this dac just two weeks ago, and I have to say that I don’t understand all the hype about it.

I used a Behringer U-Control UCA222 usb dac (https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0A31) to connect my pc to a pair of jbl305 active speakers that cost me 25€. I bought the topping dx3 pro with the expectation that it would be way better but…

Dx3 pro build quality is good. It as a light but solid metal case and the remote control is also nice.

What about the most important, the sound?

The sound quality from the rca on the back is just as good as my 15 year old Behringer, which for an almost 200€ price difference and so many years in audio technology advance, is something that I can’t understand.

Worst is that the audio from the headphone output is as bad as it can be. I do not believe that it can be worse than this. It reminds me of the headphone outputs from cheap laptops. It is unbelievably bad. It is muddy and boomy with no definition at all.

If that was not enough, it came with a problem. If I switch it off, a minute or so after turns back on again and in the Bluetooth option instead of usb, so I will have to switch it back to usb to use it. If I leave it on and turn my pc off, after some time it turns off and back on again just like I describe earlier so this is a problem with no solution.

I bought it from amazon uk but the seller is from China. It was a black Friday deal so the drop in price compensate from the import duties that I had to pay because I am from Portugal.

I want to send it back because it is a faulty unit, and it is not better than my old Behringer dac. But If I must pay to do it, probably does not compensate and its money in the trash can.

So, I do not know if the previous version is way better than this one, but do not go with the flow and don’t waste your money with this.
Just my humble opinion.

Tks

Major Contributor

I have a desk with that exact setup. Works great. And I have the V1 that supposedly had high failure rates, that's still going. Maybe once in a couple of months, the DAC would randomly turn off (and I'm serious, it's happened maybe twice or thrise in the whole year of 2020). But aside from that, I love this thing. Cool, remote works nice, non-blinding display, connected to a secondary PC with a game console. Never once an issue.

Reactions: PSO

MrOtto

Can I connect my Android phone with DX3 Pro using an OTG usb-cable to stream wired music, for example with Tidal or do I need a computer to do that? Bluetooth is compressed. I want lossless music.

Top Bottom